•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jumped on a Cave

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#151 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

My 10" f/6.8 jittered the first time I put it all back together after taking it all apart to clean, lube and paint it.  I found a loose bolt holding the Dec housing to the polar axis and tightened it and then hit the wrench with a rubber mallet a few times.  You may have a loose screw somewhere.  wink.gif

The number of possible failures in Caves mount is limited.  My tube is 8" longer than yours and damps out after ringinginging.  You have to get all the backlash out and adjust the clutches.

If you swapped out the tube elements (focuser, spider, mirror cell, etc.) then it's a good chance your tube is not correctly balanced by that tube weight.

Someone had changed everything before i bought it as he gave me the old tube and Cave parts.  The mirror is Cervit and was refigured by Galaxy in 1988. The scope has a Novak spider and mirror cell , the focuser is the stock unit that Cave used and 2ndary is smaller than the stock version. Tube has great balance as it is. Guess it is really not a Cave anymore other than the focuser, rotating rings and finder.  Mirror is insane good and worth having a much better mount and will try to find a used non GO-TO AP 900 or 1200.

Edited by CHASLX200, 15 January 2019 - 07:47 PM.

#152 KentTolley

KentTolley

Messenger

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

You could build a second Cave scope with the extra parts you have if you can fix the mount.  All you need is a Cave mirror.  

#153 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:50 PM

You could build a second Cave scope with the extra parts you have if you can fix the mount.  All you need is a Cave mirror.  

They sold in my mega sale last week.  The buyer had a mirror laying around that worked out right for the parts and tube.

#154 photoracer18

photoracer18

Vanguard

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:01 PM

One look at the Double double told me all i need to know.  I got a Zambuto in a classic tube.  The not so good, mount has lots of slop. The Sky Mirco won't go out far enough to focus many of my eyepieces.  If i remember there could be a slip in draw tube and will check when it is day time.

Scope is 95% collimated and the moon and Saturn looked good in the soup.  Ring and M13 were nice with great contrast.  Double double was just clean and sharp like in my Mak.

Scope will stay as it is, but the green is going and the mount will get a good working over. Finder is like new for being 42 years old. Odd it don't have a cross hair eyepiece and it is .965OD".    Not sure what i will do with the extra OTA.  Tube has some damage on the end, but would be fine for a F/5.5 or faster optic.

More pics of mirror specs and scope to come later.

Sky Micro and Sky Micro Giant have built in helical focusing draw tubes, not slip in ones.

#155 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:04 PM

Sky Micro and Sky Micro Giant have built in helical focusing draw tubes, not slip in ones.

Mine has a slip in that pulls out of the threaded tube.  I can take a close up pic if you like. There is someone selling a 10" F/7 Cave with the same focuser on here and you can see a close up of the black draw tube that i am talking about.

Edited by CHASLX200, 17 January 2019 - 06:20 AM.

#156 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:18 AM

The Sky Micro does have a tube that slips inside the helical tube.  The Giant does not however.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#157 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

Chas, if you decide to replace that Sky Micro, please let me know.  I'll buy it from you.

#158 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

Chas, if you decide to replace that Sky Micro, please let me know.  I'll buy it from you.

I will let you know.  I kinda like it and had them before.  I don't plan to make any changes to the OTA.  The mount is another story.  Even a Meade RG mount would be a big step up.

#159 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:31 PM

I will let you know.  I kinda like it and had them before.  I don't plan to make any changes to the OTA.  The mount is another story.  Even a Meade RG mount would be a big step up.

OK, cool.  You had mentioned replacing it.  Only reason I responded.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics