•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Winter Milky Way [DSLR]

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SunBlack

SunBlack

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rome (IT)

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:54 AM

14-10-2018 3h20m LT
Canon 5D mkIII mod + Tamron 15-30/2.8 @ 20mm f/3.5
38x3m 4000iso + UHC Optolong filter
with Star Adventurer

Attached Thumbnails

• 38xRAW mediana flatcurvesstarsbackres.jpg

• zjc26138, Starman27, Jim Waters and 10 others like this

#2 einarin

einarin

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:39 AM

I'm planning something similar so this looks interesting.

Only the stars look kind of weird (at least in this image size). Harsh reduction ?

Bigger size somewhere ?

#3 whwang

whwang

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:42 AM

Hi Luca,

Nice shot!  

I noticed that the stars along the upper edge show elongation, despite that you stopped the lens down to F3.5.  I think the lens might be able to do better.  My experience with this lens shows that its VC lens does not always park at the right position once VC is turned off.  So you may try turning the VC on and off several times and take test shots each time it's turned off, until you find sharp stars in all corners.  I know this sounds troublesome, but I have seen very impressive performance from this lens on all four corners with aperture wide open.  So I think it will be worthwhile going through such troubles.

Cheers,

Wei-Hao

#4 SunBlack

SunBlack

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:54 AM

Yes you are right. The **** VC. I hate it. Maybe I should spend more time to reach "relax position " of elements before starting shooting

#5 SunBlack

SunBlack

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:56 AM

Stars look weird cause of stars reduction, done trying to mask bad stars shape in Upper side of the frame

#6 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Viking 1

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:58 AM

Still nice, though. It's been a while since I have been able to enjoy the summer or winter milky-way. It's a sad fact that more than 75% of the world's current population have never seen the summer or the winter milky-way.

Back in 2010 when the powers-that-be which control electrical power distribution in the city of Los Angeles were forced to resort to "rolling black-outs" to conserve electricity, citizens in the affected areas were so shocked and confused by the splendor of the "milky-way" that many calls were made to 911 to report that the "sky was on fire". That right there probably says everything that is needed to be said about the rampant global light pollution epidemic!

It's too bad that stories such as this always seem to fall on "deaf ears" which also coincidentally belong to blind government officials who either cannot or will not see the problem of light-pollution.

"Light! Light and more Light! Let us brighten the Night so that none will ever know darkness again!". The cry of the power companies and those that manufacture outdoor light fixtures.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• Aaron_tragle likes this

#7 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:56 PM

14-10-2018 3h20m LT
Canon 5D mkIII mod + Tamron 15-30/2.8 @ 20mm f/3.5
38x3m 4000iso + UHC Optolong filter
with Star Adventurer

That's very nice. You even got some of the Vela SNR in there.

How dark were the skies?

Is the Optolong UHC filter a full-frame clip-in filter that goes in the 5DMIII body?

Jerry

#8 SunBlack

SunBlack

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:06 PM

Clip version. Sqml at about 21.15

#9 grsotnas

grsotnas

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:14 PM

Beautiful ! You even got a slight hint of the faint Eridanus Loop! Well done!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics