•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Atik Infinity Controls

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 elrico

elrico

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Yorkshire UK

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:41 PM

Hi, can anyone advise please.

The Colour Bin Mode - should it be set to NORMAL or COLOUR ?

Show Colour Type - tick this box or not ?

Regards

Eric

#2 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:21 PM

I think it is used to identify if an Atik CMOS camera (e.g. an Atik Horizon) is colour OSC or mono. Hence, for a Horizon OSC you might set 'Colour'. I might be wrong here, but I suspect it isn't relevant to an Infinity CCD camera?

In past versions of Infinity (and similar software), you could not bin an OSC and retain colour. I think that might still be true of your Infinity CCD camera? My belief is that this is due to how the Bayer Matrix differs. A feature of the Atik Horizon OSC since the January 2018 software update is that colour binning is now possible, although I tend to use mine at 1x binning and enjoy it's full exceeding 4k UHD capabilities on a suitable display device. 

To explain, in a CCD camera, binning happens in the analogue domain on the chip, but with the Horizon's CMOS it's done in the software. This also improves signal to noise ratio. I hence suspect this setting is of zero consequence to your CCD camera and applies only to the Horizon. I also think it is set by default to 'Colour as I never noticed this until this thread. It is not mentioned in the 2016 manual available for download from the Atik site. 

• elrico likes this

#3 elrico

elrico

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Yorkshire UK

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:03 PM

Thanks, it has been helpful, I understand what you are saying.

eric

#4 roelb

roelb

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium, Antwerp

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:59 PM

For the color Infinity (CCD) the "colour (software) binning mode" works also!

• Noah4x4 likes this

#5 roelb

roelb

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:03 PM

For the color Infinity (CCD) the "colour (software) binning mode" works also!

See also: https://www.atik-cam...inity-software/

• Noah4x4 likes this

#6 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:57 AM

Thanks Roelb. When attempting to assist the OP questions about these controls I knew colour binning was a feature of the Atik Horizon CMOS but wasn't sure about the Infinity CCD. Thanks for the clarity that these particular controls apply to both cameras. Unfortunately, the Atik website 'downloads' still offer merely the 2016 manual as does my version of the core software. However, I have now found the 2017 manual. 

I see that you also have two ZWO cameras Roelb. Do they have this same colour binning feature and were Atik playing catch up, or is this a distinct Atik advantage? If yes, the flexibility to bin or not to bin, that is the question (Hamlet, Act III, Scene I). 

#7 roelb

roelb

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:56 AM

As far as I known the 'software color binning' feature is only available in the newest Infinity software.

#8 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:03 PM

As far as I known the 'software color binning' feature is only available in the newest Infinity software.

Hence, another good reason to favour the Atik Horizon and Infinity over the often slightly cheaper ZWO equivalents. 

There is mention this week on Atik's website Forum of "exciting new product developments around the end of this year embracing both CMOS and CCD". But Steve Chambers (CEO) didn't say more. Given both camera sensor types are mentioned I suspect Infinity software will make further innovations. Could be interesting.

• roelb likes this

#9 nic35

nic35

Viking 1

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:15 PM

I routinely bin my ZWO ASI294 in color using Sharpcap. Up to 4x4 bin

John
  • roelb likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics