•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific 10" Tube Dob Versus 10" Truss Dob

dob reflector
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:43 PM

I have an Explore Scientific First Light 10" tube dobsonian on backorder, since about August 19th. One of these boys:

https://explorescien...ht-10-dobsonian

We're coming up on 60 days back-ordered, so I'm wondering if I should just pony up to the 10" generation 2 truss dobsonian model, which isn't out of stock:

https://explorescien...ts/10-dobsonian

I've tossed around the pros and cons in my mind, and honestly, I could live with either, but I want to ask the forum hive-mind for its thoughts on this.

So come at me, bros. Give me your thoughts. And thanks in advance.

Edited by Dana in Philly, 16 October 2018 - 04:45 PM.

#2 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:58 PM

I'd rather have the tube Dob. In fact there are several tube Dobs I'd rather have than that 10" ES truss Dob, definitely including the Orion XT.

• 25585 likes this

#3 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:21 PM

Ahh, but why, havasman? Not the Orion -- that wasn't the question. Why the preference for the ES 10" tube over the ES 10" truss?

Edited by Dana in Philly, 16 October 2018 - 05:23 PM.

#4 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:25 PM

Some of the pros of the ES 10" tube:

- Quicker to set up than the truss

- Holds collimation longer

- Lighter (to carry) components

- Lens included

- Adjustable OTA within the mounting rings (put the focuser where you like)

Edited by Dana in Philly, 16 October 2018 - 05:30 PM.

• jakefromporcupine likes this

#5 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:27 PM

Some of the pros of the ES 10" truss dob:

- Dual speed focuser

- Fans for the primary

- Stores/transports smaller

- Front collimation

Edited by Dana in Philly, 16 October 2018 - 05:27 PM.

#6 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:32 PM

You could build your own. The materials, shipping, and coating would come out to the same price. Time to your door vs time figuring, who knows. Modern dobsonians are incorporating more and more of the features we want. Almost don't have to go custom.

#7 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

• Loc: Montclair, NJ

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:10 PM

Some of the pros of the ES 10" truss dob:

- Dual speed focuser

- Fans for the primary

- Stores/transports smaller

- Front collimation

You forgot - points to zenith without adj’ing 

a lot better materials - more sturdy - last longer

Edited by Pinbout, 16 October 2018 - 08:12 PM.

#8 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:41 PM

I'm looking at one of the tube version as well and will probably order one fairly soon mainly because it has rings and can be readily moved to an equatorial mount for imaging. Apart from that, probably the truss is a better purely visual scope if you never plan to remount it.

#9 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:43 PM

I'm looking at one of the tube version as well and will probably order one fairly soon mainly because it has rings and can be readily moved to an equatorial mount for imaging. Apart from that, probably the truss is a better purely visual scope if you never plan to remount it.

I was recording Scot Roberts putting a tube base together at NEAF and the hardware fell out of the particle board...bad enough I decided not to post it on my youtube channel.

#ikea

the truss is way better made

Edited by Pinbout, 16 October 2018 - 09:44 PM.

#10 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:29 AM

After pondering it, I upgraded to the truss dob. I decided the dual-speed focuser and the compact storage possibility meant a lot to me. Explore Scientific was very nice about it, and allowed me to roll back time to my initial order date and get the pricing that was in effect then, even the first time buyer discount. Very considerate of 'em.

Hopefully I can cram a Telrad onto the UTA. I have one standing by.

Edited by Dana in Philly, 17 October 2018 - 04:56 PM.

• Don H and Jond105 like this

#11 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:52 PM

You could build your own. The materials, shipping, and coating would come out to the same price. Time to your door vs time figuring, who knows. Modern dobsonians are incorporating more and more of the features we want. Almost don't have to go custom.

Mmmmmm, I dunno stargazer. When I first considered this, I looked around at material costs and such. Seemed to me I could easily spend more constructing a nice dob than the price of buying one. And that doesn't even figure how much time I'd have to invest -- which is in short supply right now.

Am I wrong? You wanna break down what you think the build costs would be?

#12 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:03 PM

I have an Explore Scientific First Light 10" tube dobsonian on backorder, since about August 19th. One of these boys:

We're coming up on 60 days back-ordered, so I'm wondering if I should just pony up to the 10" generation 2 truss dobsonian model, which isn't out of stock:

I've tossed around the pros and cons in my mind, and honestly, I could live with either, but I want to ask the forum hive-mind for its thoughts on this.

telescopes.net shows them in stock.

#13 RobertMaples

RobertMaples

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:15 PM

I have a 10" truss tube dobsonian and 95% of the time I wouldn't care if it were a truss or solid tube.  I keep it set up in the garage ready to go, and even if I drive somewhere, I usually load it up in two pieces instead of dismantling it.  However, we sometimes do family vacations and are usually packed to the gills, so at those times being able to it break down is a huge advantage.

#14 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:18 PM

Mmmmmm, I dunno stargazer. When I first considered this, I looked around at material costs and such. Seemed to me I could easily spend more constructing a nice dob than the price of buying one. And that doesn't even figure how much time I'd have to invest -- which is in short supply right now.

If you can glue and screw I could hook ya up with cut parts

gallery_106859_3508_4052.jpg

Edited by Pinbout, 17 October 2018 - 06:21 PM.

#15 nva

nva

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:58 AM

The 10 inch dob is just a no frills design, off the shelf fasteners to put it together, for what its worth all the collimation screws are thumbscrews, the ota is sort of heavy but the big altitude wheels makes it both easy (they are a handle) and hard (slightly awkward) to carry at the same time and having the focuser where you want it is super convenient.

Edited by nva, 18 October 2018 - 07:59 AM.

#16 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:08 AM

The 10" truss dob is headed my way by FedEx. Should arrive Friday 10/19. I'll do an unboxing in a new thread. Unboxing threads are always fun.

• Don H and Pinbout like this

#17 Don H

Don H

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Desert SW

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:33 PM

The 10" truss dob is headed my way by FedEx. Should arrive Friday 10/19. I'll do an unboxing in a new thread. Unboxing threads are always fun.

I think you made a fine choice getting the truss Dob. I keep my 10 inch truss set up in the family room and carry it out assembled in two pieces all the time. Your OTA may be a bit heavy to manage like that, but you can get a hand cart if you want to take it out all at once. The ability to break it down for travel or storage can mean the difference of having an extra passenger or two go with you, or a bunch more gear, or having closet space in the house for more telescopes and stuff in the future. I believe you will discover the views in the 10 to be quite enjoyable and satisfying.

Best of luck with your new scope,

Don

#18 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:54 PM

Ahh, but why, havasman? Not the Orion -- that wasn't the question. Why the preference for the ES 10" tube over the ES 10" truss?

Because too many tales like this, going back a couple of years  -  https://www.cloudyni.../#entry8897706 

#19 25585

Apollo

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:21 PM

I own the tube 10 inch. It is worth waiting for. Maybe out of stock due to demand exceeding supply.

The tube model can be slid through its rings to help with balancing, and can be removed for putting on another mount. Good rockers, none of the structural frailty of a truss, or any issues of ES truss scopes posted about in other threads. 

Edited by 25585, 18 October 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#20 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:34 PM

telescopes.net shows them in stock.

Looks like telescopes.net added a decent finder scope to their kit. Explains the $595 price. ES has it priced at $459 but with a red dot finder.

#21 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:42 PM

Because too many tales like this, going back a couple of years  -  https://www.cloudyni.../#entry8897706 

Whoa. Hope my experience is a better one.

#22 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:31 PM

Buying telescope parts would cost more than a telescope. Buying raw materials to make the parts would cost less for the same quality and the same price as particle board scopes. The labor would be a lot more. I would do it for the fun of building and having my scope just how I want it.

#23 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:18 AM

Whoa. Hope my experience is a better one.

I want to say a little more about this: it seems to me that one of the effects of the internet is that when something goes wrong with a product, we hear about that a lot more. The internet has given a voice, a very effective voice, to the customer in such situations.

This is a good thing, I believe. A power shift in the direction of consumers.

But the other side of this is that, it seems to me, we don't hear as much about when everything goes right, and the customer is completely satisfied. It's one of the reasons that I try to give a thumbs up to good service when it happens.

So, I know there have been some negative experiences with the ES truss dobs. I'm not sure we're hearing as much about the positive experiences.

I'll let you all know how my particular experience goes today, so that we have another data point.

#24 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:27 AM

Buying telescope parts would cost more than a telescope. Buying raw materials to make the parts would cost less for the same quality and the same price as particle board scopes. The labor would be a lot more. I would do it for the fun of building and having my scope just how I want it.

An interesting idea, but not a project I want to take on just now. Nice to see Pinbout could source parts. Perhaps in a couple of years.

I just finished getting a motorcycle back on the road after tearing apart its driveline to fix some stripped clutch splines. Read about it here if you're interested. It was epic: http://forums.pelica...line-issue.html

Anyway, don't have the time and space for another maker project right now.

Edited by Dana in Philly, 19 October 2018 - 06:29 AM.

#25 25585

Apollo

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:29 AM

To me the truss seems only logical, when a solid tube version is available, if the truss solves storage, transport or handling issues.

A 10 inch F5 tube will fit in most cars across the back seat, or end to end on the passenger side. For 12+ inch a truss will have advantages. 

Edited by 25585, 19 October 2018 - 07:30 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics