•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SW Evostar 72ED in the house

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:43 PM

So after selling my Meade 115mm APO - a very nice scope - I felt certain that I was going larger ... like 120-132mm. But in reality I just didn't feel myself getting very excited about the prospects of a bigger heavier APO - a larger scope that would probably see less time under the stars than my recently sold 115mm. I wanted a special scope but even though the "3rd base coach" was waving me around the bases for this purchase, I really wasn't relishing the thought of plunking down $3-5K either for that special scope ... and I wanted new. Weight and cost were weighing heavily on me.

Then it hit me - go smaller and get some quality glass while getting something that I would use a lot. And I started to get really excited about the prospects and variety available for much less ... maybe even doubling up! Truth be told, lately I have been having much more fun with my smaller scopes. The AT60ED for example is an amazing little scope - very well built and with excellent views through the EP. And as others have noted elsewhere, part of the joy in viewing is spending time at the eyepiece and carefully studying a fainter object or cluster, letting your vision adjust, placing the object in different places in the FOV, etc., things that a smaller scope often requires. I find myself now spending more time studying certain patches of the sky.

So for starters in going smaller, I got in line for the AT92 - I'm very excited! Next I got the Evostar 72ED. This little scope really intrigued me with its looks and its purported quality glass and views and with the direction SW is taking the Evostar line. Time will tell how this change up will work out - I spent time running up the aperture chain and now I'm running down - but already I feel like its the right thing for me.

And here it is. It was drop-shipped from SW in Cali, getting to me via UPS (!) ... and it came to me completely unscathed! Wow was I nervous when I heard UPS was doing the delivery. It's beautiful and it very much has a quality feel. The focuser feels very good. I was hoping to get it out tonight, but as of now, its cloudy. So without further ado, here is the scope as unpackaged.

• Castor, CelestronDaddy, Exnihilo and 1 other like this

#2 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:43 PM

Just delivered from UPS - so happy its in good shape!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0270.JPG

• Castor, Exnihilo and IMB like this

#3 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:44 PM

Nice case in the box ... still looking good!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0271.JPG

• Castor and IMB like this

#4 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:45 PM

Case out and open - so far so good.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0272.JPG

• Castor, BFaucett, Tyson M and 1 other like this

#5 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:46 PM

Plastic and paper removed - its a very sharp looking scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0274.JPG

• zjc26138, Lewis Cason, Castor and 5 others like this

#6 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:46 PM

Business end...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0275.JPG

• Lewis Cason, Castor, Exnihilo and 2 others like this

#7 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:47 PM

Green vixen rail ... hmmm ... I actually like it. All the screw heads are recessed.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0277.JPG

Edited by Brollen, 16 October 2018 - 08:47 PM.

• paulsky, Lewis Cason, roadi and 2 others like this

#8 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:48 PM

What is that circular black thing with a screw on top of the front most ring?

#9 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:48 PM

Closeup of the focuser

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0278.JPG
  • IMG_0279.JPG

• Lewis Cason, Castor, Exnihilo and 1 other like this

#10 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:49 PM

Another beauty shot ... the objective cover is plastic but screws in and is fairly flush.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0280.JPG

Edited by Brollen, 16 October 2018 - 08:50 PM.

• Illinois, Lewis Cason, belgrade and 7 others like this

#11 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:51 PM

Last one ... size comparison to my WO Megrez 90ED. Note the Mergez has the dew shield retracted.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0281.JPG

• Lewis Cason, Castor, Exnihilo and 2 others like this

#12 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:53 PM

My only issue with the SW is the non retractable dewshiekd, really makes them bigger than they need to be, but otherwise a beautiful scope!
  • Tyson M likes this

#13 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

What is that circular black thing with a screw on top of the front most ring?

For attaching cameras and other things that take that sort of male attachment.

#14 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:55 PM

My only issue with the SW is the non retractable dewshiekd, really makes them bigger than they need to be, but otherwise a beautiful scope!

True, but overall size is just where I want it. 

#15 chris charen

chris charen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Auckland. New Zealand

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:47 PM

Hi is the dew shield removable for travel  ? and can it be mounted on a heavy duty camera tripod mount with the 1/4 20 screw ? Thanks

#16 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:57 AM

The dew shield is removable. The two inner holes seen on the dovetail shot are threaded - I believe for the 1/4 20 thread - and suitable for mounting on a photo tripod.

#17 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:08 AM

Nice looking scope!

Look forward to hear how you like it under the stars waytogo.gif

#18 roadi

roadi

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:34 AM

Green vixen rail ... hmmm ... I actually like it. All the screw heads are recessed.

Me too waytogo.gif 

#19 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:41 PM

Nice looking scope!

Look forward to hear how you like it under the stars waytogo.gif

Thanks - hopefully I get that chance tonight!

• Erik Bakker likes this

#20 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:22 PM

Enjoy your first light!

#21 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Puerto Rico, US

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:06 PM

Nice scope! Is it FPL-53? I have the Orion EON 72, which is a brother of the venerable AT72ED, which is FPL-51.

#22 chris charen

chris charen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Auckland. New Zealand

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:07 AM

The glass is unknown on the new Evostar range. Sky -Watcher  says the new Evostar range has a 'different objective lens glass combination to Sky-Watcher's existing Evostar-80ED/100ED/120ED models'. Sky-Watcher are not disclosing which glass type it uses  for commercial reasons other than to say it has an 'ED element' and a matching Crown element from German Schott glass.
Sky-Watcher's made a recent new policy statement about this which applies to all new ED APO telescopes, not those previously released
Some are speculating it has the 'new' FLP-55 glass which is close to the FPL-53 glass in optical properties but apparently costs 70% less.

Others more knowledgeable may want to contribute.

• paulsky likes this

#23 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:28 AM

First light last night and this morning. Generally speaking I would like to say that it met my expectations if not exceeded them. The scope is proportioned nicely, a bit focuser end heavy but a joy to view through. The focuser is very nice having no notchiness what so ever- butter smooth. Of note, SW does not include a 1.25” adapter with this scope (!) so make sure you have one on hand or you’ll need to purchase one if you plan on using 1.25” diagonals and other accessories.

I loaded the Evostar on my Porta mount with a 1.25” GSO dielectric diagonal and an Orion 6x30 RACI finder - one of my favorite finders. It rode really well on the Porta mount as would be expected. I brought out all my Morpheus EPs (17.5, 12.5, 9, 6.5), my 6.7 & 4.7 ES EPs and my 3.5mm Vixen. I also had on hand my 20mm 68* ES EP. A great lineup for some visual tests.

The scope came well collimated as the star patterns were very nice on either side of focus but especially in focus the star images were tight and focused throughout much or all of the field depending on EP used - the Morpheus EPs giving the best (really spectacular as in my other scopes) results.

I started with the moon and Mars which were very close together last night in the SW sky. Interestingly the images of Mars were very good especially with the 4.7 and 3.5 EPs where I was seeing dark markings on the planet and the orb itself resolved nicely - this with no filters. I say “interestingly” because of late Mars really has been a tough view in my other scopes. The moon resolved nicely with excellent detail and no color on the limb. I used a number of EPs on the moon including the 3.5 - really good clarity and sharpness.

Next I tried Saturn and some of the gems in this area of Sagittarius but they were going behind trees in my backyard. I got some quick views of Saturn which were fleeting due to atmospheric play at that angle.

Next I looked at Vega. Vega showed just the slightest hint of purple but I felt I could eliminate it by working the fine focus. Still a very nice image. I drifted to the Double Double and with my 6.5/6.7 EPs began to split the star pairings. Have they gotten closer? They seem much more challenging for many of my scopes than in the previous year... I then went hunting for M57 and much to my surprise easily found it while using my 12.5 Morpheus. With the 6.5mm and averted vision I could make out the opening and some contrast in the ring. From here I looked at Alberio which was simply awesome especially in the 12.5 & 17.5 EPs.

To end the night I looked over in the neighborhood of Cassiopeia - the star fields and the Double Cluster. The Double Cluster looked beautiful- the diamonds on black velvet- but certainly lacking some of the details I see with my bigger scopes, such as the previous 115mm and my AT102.

This morning I had a quick look at Orion’s Belt and sword. The great nebula looked fantastic in low power views and even better as I ramped up power. The stars of the Trapezium were very sharp.

All in all I’m very pleased with this scope. I’m very happy with the optics, focuser, the size and weight, etc. To me it’s an excellent value.

And as far as what type of glass is used, I don’t know but what ever it is it delivers the goods.

Clear skies!!

• Spyke, eros312, BFaucett and 6 others like this

#24 RJF-Astro

RJF-Astro

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Zeist, Netherlands

Posted 19 October 2018 - 01:59 AM

Nice report Brollen! I have purchaced the 72ED two weeks ago, mainly for imaging as a complement to my SW Evostar 100ED for larger targets. Perhaps I can add a few words from an imaging perspective.

My first impression is quite good, but it really needs a field flattener for anything but the smaller sensors. I use a D750 fullframe, so for me that sets the bar a little higher than for most people.

I use a TS-optics Photoline 2" flattener, had one lying around. I have not used the dedicated flattener/reducer from SW. With the TS flattener properly spaced, the stars generally look quite good, except for the outer edge of the frame. And this might also be because I have not got the spacing exactly right. It is now at about 127-129mm. Here are some examples, full frame with and without flattener:

DSC_1368.jpg
No flattener, single frame at high ISO

20181017 NGC6888.jpg

Stacked image at lower ISO, also notice some flare on the top right

The focusser is very smooth and I have not noticed any slipping yet with the D750 attached. I do see an occasional focus shift when tightening the lock screw. So that is something to pay attention to, because you think you are good and then the focus is off when you start imaging.

For visual I cannot add a lot. The only thing I notice is a slight increase of chromatic abberation at the edges of the image. I see this in both my SW 28mm stock 2" EP and 10mm Vixen SLV. The center is fine though. The D750 also shows this on the moon:

DSC_1374.jpg

Crop from the very edge of the full frame

So far, I am very happy with it. Corrected frames give me more than enough imaging space for larger targets. Given the price I paid (300 euros) it is a real bargain.

• eros312 and Brollen like this

#25 RJF-Astro

RJF-Astro

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Zeist, Netherlands

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:06 AM

And a photo (crop) from a bigger stack with the 72ED (3,5 hours on ISO 800, full processing):

20181012 Andromeda 72ED.jpg

I was still fiddling with the spacers on the flattener here, so more field curvature visible in the corners.

• pollux, JIMZ7, Erik Bakker and 9 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics