•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Came across this camera today anyone know what its worth?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 deepskyguru

deepskyguru

Ranger 4

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: California

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:52 PM

I came across the Olympus OM1 with the right angle viewer today. i remember these being popular for astro photos back in the day. Any idea what it might be worth? I have no need for it and would like to sell it

Attached Thumbnails

• OM1.jpg

#2 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:59 PM

I have both of those... don't really need another... check www.keh.com for (high-ish) resale values.  The Varimagni Finder fits a good many SLRs besides Olympus.

#3 jimr2

jimr2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sparks, NV

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:05 PM

I have an old OM-1 too and the rt-angle viewer too (I think). Good ol' camera from back in my film days--loved it--guess is why I still have it here in a box somewhere even tho haven't used it in 20 yrs or more, and can't bear to part with it.

Anyhow, have sold other cameras thru keh.com--as said above, can check w/ them, and/or take it down to your local camera shop and see what they'll offer you for it--probably not much--film is so 70s now y'know!

Good luck!

#4 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:13 PM

Remember that OM lenses fit Canon DSLRs via an adapter.  The lenses may be more in demand than the camera.

• tim53 likes this

#5 D_talley

D_talley

Gemini

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:58 PM

The prices run from the low $60 for an untested camera to $200 for a refurbished one near me.  The OM1 was great for astro photography because the shutter was not run by a battery. Then the OM-10 camera came out but was not suited for long exposures since the shutter was electronic, battery controlled. I have one of each in a box somewhere.  

• stevew, Skywatchr and Michael Covington like this

#6 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:30 AM

Guessing about $150 if it's in good working order with no light leaks.

#7 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:04 AM

Now that Kodak has reintroduced Ektachrome, sell it to a film enthusiast!

#8 Jeff_B629

Jeff_B629

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:52 AM

Try ebay, you can check the price on completed listing to see what they are selling for. If it's in excellent condition, you could list it and maybe get more for it than what KEH will give you. The OM-1n was the improved version, and is somewhat more desirable to collectors. The camera looks good from the top - it still has the hot shoe cover! If there are no scratches, dents or other defects and the battery compartment is clean, it may have some value.

#9 Alen K

Alen K

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:42 PM

I have both of the pictured items too, as well as a 50mm f/1.8 Zuiko lens. As mentioned, check the condition of the light seals around the edges of where the hinged film cover fits into the body. If the "sponges" are mushy and don't spring back when you push on them with something like the tip of a pencil, they will no doubt leak light and need to be replaced. Kits are available online and don't cost much. If the seals are not replaced I suspect the resale value will be reduced by more than the cost of the kit.

Edited by Alen K, 19 October 2018 - 04:19 PM.

#10 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:14 AM

I have the same camera and varimagnifier. Great camera. The Zukio lenses are well made. 

My camera is in excellent working condition and although I don't use it I don't really want to part with it.

Steve

#11 inline_online

inline_online

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:38 AM

I sold my Olympus OM-1 a few years ago to a collector here in Australia.

I got about AU$300 from memory.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics