Well I finished restoring my old starfinder mount.
I found that I could get replacement bushings (which were missing) from mcmastercarr.com, and I sanded all the rust off the dec shaft. I may replace the shaft eventually but for now it's fine. I also managed to get the DC drive working. Most of the set screws were missing, so I located those also.
I purchased a Meade SN-6 to put on this mount for now which should work for short exposure photometry images.
I needed to replace the 25lb counterweight. I found a 11lb counterweight in my junk box, but it was for a 3/4" shaft, so I chucked it up in my mini lathe and bored out the center to fit a 1" shaft and painted it black.
I've always wanted one of these mounts. I remember drooling over photos of it in S&T in the early 90s when I got my first dob. I have a thing for manual RA driven german mounts on pedestals. I'll also be making a larger dec circle, but I haven't been able to do that yet as I broke my leg and required surgery so I've been locked up for weeks.
I have a 10" mirror blank on the way, and will eventually by grinding and polishing a the mirror for a 10" reflector which will also land on this mount.
Some day I really hope to find a Meade RG mount somewhere near Florida. Just throwing that out there!
Edited by Tom Stock, 26 August 2021 - 11:17 AM.