•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Reworking an old Meade Starfinder mount

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

• Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 26 August 2021 - 11:09 AM

Well I finished restoring my old starfinder mount. 

I found that I could get replacement bushings (which were missing) from mcmastercarr.com, and I sanded all the rust off the dec shaft.  I may replace the shaft eventually but for now it's fine.  I also managed to get the DC drive working. Most of the set screws were missing, so I located those also.

I purchased a Meade SN-6 to put on this mount for now which should work for short exposure photometry images.

I needed to replace the 25lb counterweight.  I found a 11lb counterweight in my junk box, but it was for a 3/4" shaft, so I chucked it up in my mini lathe and bored out the center to fit a 1" shaft and painted it black.

I've always wanted one of these mounts. I remember drooling over photos of it in S&T in the early 90s when I got my first dob.  I have a thing for manual RA driven german mounts on pedestals.  I'll also be making a larger dec circle, but I haven't been able to do that yet as I broke my leg and required surgery so I've been locked up for weeks.

I have a 10" mirror blank on the way, and will eventually by grinding and polishing a the mirror for a 10" reflector which will also land on this mount.

Some day I really hope to find a Meade RG mount somewhere near Florida.  Just throwing that out there!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3831.jpg

Edited by Tom Stock, 26 August 2021 - 11:17 AM.

• Paul Hyndman, Marc-Andre, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#27 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 26 August 2021 - 02:42 PM

That looks very nice. Good job.

#28 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

Posted 01 September 2021 - 05:18 PM

There was a lot of drag on the shafts.  It took a lot of effort to rotate either shafts.  So I took it all apart, and it did come apart very easily.
I found a black grease on the plastic bushings, and cleaned it all up.  I replaced the old grease with some pink stuff my dad had.  That didn’t work, there was still too much friction.  I took it all apart again and cleaned up the pink stuff.  Just for the heck of it, when I reassembled it this time, I didn’t put anything on the bushings at all.  It actually seemed to help, but still not good enough, and took it all apart once again. 
When I removed the bushings and cleaned the housing, I noticed that there were some dimples made with a punch where the bushings sat.  I guess these were to keep the bushings in place.  I felt that they were pinching the bushing and causing too much friction, so I filed them smooth.
After putting it all back together, I noticed a big difference in the shaft movement.  It was much better.  And after another disassembly I put a little light weight oil on the bushings.  That made another big improvement.
I’d like to replace the plastic bushings with metal ones.

This mount has a large RA setting circle, but a small DEC circle.  I had larger 6" setting circle so I replaced the small one.  I came up with a bushing with a 1" ID, and a 1-1/2" OD, and it will work fine.  A minor problem was that there wasn’t an indicator for the large DEC circle.  I made a 6" semicircle, drilled and tapped a hole on the housing, and bolted the new indicator to the housing.

attachicon.gifsetting circles.jpg

attachicon.gifdrill and tap.jpg

attachicon.gifdec indicator plate.jpg

More to come . . .

What did you use to color the dec circle black while leaving the engravings in the white?

Alumiblack and white engraving marking crayon?

Edited by Tom Stock, 01 September 2021 - 05:21 PM.

#29 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 01 September 2021 - 05:30 PM

The dec circle was untouched.  It was that way when I purchased it.

#30 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 01 September 2021 - 05:32 PM

I will be selling the belt drive motor that Geo made up, and the electronics, with the gear, and black housing.

I also will be selling the Starfinder mount, as the picture way back showed.  It has an AC CD, that was original to those type mounts.

It's a nice mount, I just have others so I won't be using it.

Edited by Garyth64, 01 September 2021 - 05:35 PM.

#31 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

Posted 11 September 2021 - 01:05 PM

The dec circle was untouched.  It was that way when I purchased it.

The new one not the old one... how did you blacken it?

Attached Thumbnails

• 9DCCC089-40CE-41BF-A657-525F51F8F182.jpeg
  • 35902D33-7722-4F89-9802-C3C10DB0B9A2.jpeg

Edited by Tom Stock, 11 September 2021 - 01:06 PM.

#32 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2021 - 02:26 PM

I forgot about the unpainted one.  I sold it a long time ago, and kept the painted one.

#33 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

Posted 12 September 2021 - 09:14 AM

I forgot about the unpainted one.  I sold it a long time ago, and kept the painted one.

Ah ok didn't realize they were two difference circles.

Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics