•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unboxing New Explore Scientific 10" Truss Dobsonian Reflector

dob reflector
  • Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#76 zacrobmer

zacrobmer

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:46 AM

I've only had to use a weight once, when pointing at Mars low in the sky with the ES 4.5mm EP. I don't yet have any really heavy eyepieces. I do cringe when I mount the bar that holds the weights, as its inside threads are right above the edge of the primary mirror. No mistakes permitted when you're threading on the inside washer and nut! (A mirror cover that sits down right at the level of the adjustment bolts, just in case, would be a good idea.)

As one is sitting beside the scope, moving it about, the weight bar makes a great bottom handle. I generally have my left hand there, and my right holding the top edge of the UTA.

I replaced the nut and washer that holds the counterweight bar with a M10 screw on nob.

Something like this...

https://www.amazon.c...4yL&ref=plSrch#

And I kept the cardboard disk that the scope shipped with, and I lay it on the mirror when assembling the scope.
  • Carl Kolchak likes this

#77 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:01 PM

I replaced the nut and washer that holds the counterweight bar with a M10 screw on nob.

Something like this...

https://www.amazon.c...4yL&ref=plSrch#

And I kept the cardboard disk that the scope shipped with, and I lay it on the mirror when assembling the scope.

Brilliant. Gonna order one of those plastic clamp nuts. Much better.

But I don't like to lay anything on the mirror. I'll fabricate something that fits down in there.

#78 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

Dakota Starry Nights has some great ideas about how to minimize stray light and thus improve contrast on these ES truss dobs here:

https://www.cloudyni...king-it-better/

Worth a look.

#79 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:28 PM

The shroud arrived today, so as promised, here's the scope, all dressed up and ready to party, with the yellow exterior/black interior shroud by Shrouds by Heather -- which is stretchy material, like tights are made of, and has elastic at the top and bottom. Also serves to gather the trusses during assembly, in preparation for attaching the UTA.

20190107 131227 686x561

Next modifications for this scope will be:

- Dakota Starry Night's "red pill" idea (see link in previous post) to ease UTA attachment;
- Also DSN-style covers for some of the mirror box areas (although I'm not sure I have as much steel in the mirror box as DSN's Gen. I, and I may try to do it in such a way that the fans can run with non-flush, but light blocking, covers set say, an inch above the mirror box surface); and
- Light blocking material for the UTA.

Edited by Dana in Philly, 07 January 2019 - 06:24 PM.

• Carl Kolchak, niallk, iKMN and 1 other like this

#80 iKMN

iKMN

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

Looking good. Thanks for posting. Any problems with dew? I’ve had my secondary dew up on me. Anybody here find a commercial heater solution? I seen some heaters from Kendrick that might fit the secondary. It looks like a horseshoe and looks like it will slide in between the mirror and the secondary holder but I haven’t bought. Just curious? Best way to disassemble mirror and reattach?  

Edited by iKMN, 08 January 2019 - 03:37 PM.

#81 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:02 PM

Looking good. Thanks for posting. Any problems with dew? I’ve had my secondary dew up on me. Anybody here find a commercial heater solution? I seen some heaters from Kendrick that might fit the secondary. It looks like a horseshoe and looks like it will slide in between the mirror and the secondary holder but I haven’t bought. Just curious? Best way to disassemble mirror and reattach?  

No dew problems yet with the secondary. Did have a pretty moist night on Jan. 4 or 5 here, where I ran the primary fans constantly as a dew precaution. But I didn't have the shroud yet so I doubt that had any effect on the secondary.

What I'd like to do for stray light blocking for the UTA would, ideally, extend past the UTA, twice its height, so as to act as a dew shield as well as a light blocker. Something cylindrical that fits inside the UTA.

Haven't had a moment....

Edited by Dana in Philly, 09 January 2019 - 05:39 PM.

#82 iKMN

iKMN

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:07 PM

I’m down here in Florida so dew is a problem. I’ve only had it dew up on me once but I know from past experience with other scopes that I’m in for some rough times if I don’t do something. Anyway looking forward to your extension mod. I’mmgoing to order the shroud from heather as soon as I get some funds together.

#83 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

Considering fabricating some more complete light shielding for the UTA out of this 1/4" poly foam sheeting:

https://www.zoro.com...dk0/i/G2030655/

Wrap it around the inside, slit it and slide it down over the spider vanes, attach it to the inside of the UTA with hook-and-loop fasteners, so it can be taken off for storage/transport. Make an opening for the focuser. You get the idea....

Edited by Dana in Philly, 11 January 2019 - 03:15 PM.

#84 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:54 AM

1/12/19 after-action report:

It was a cold, 22° F night here last night, with a dew point in the single digits. Once the moon set, clear skies and good seeing. I mostly used the 70° Agena 32mm 2" and the 58° Olivon 20mm 1.25" EPs, with a brief detour into a 10mm Plossl (after Barlowing the Olivon didn't give a good result) and then the 52° ES 4.5mm 1.25". The latter (or my pupil using the latter) was on the edge of too much magnification for conditions last night, unable to focus the stars in the Trapezium to fine points. Tiny pixels was as good as I could get.

The new shroud definitely improves contrast on this scope. The Great Orion Nebula had large, visible dark wings of cloud, spreading out beneath (above? my uncorrected EP likely reversed the perspective) the Trapezium. Vanes of differently shaded dark cloud were visible. Entrancing.

I could make out more of the globular shapes of the Double Cluster in Perseus as well.

Good times. I'll continue to work on stray light reduction with this scope.

Edited by Dana in Philly, 12 January 2019 - 09:36 AM.

#85 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

Crappy winter days are good for arts and crafts. The 1/8" matte charcoal open-cell foam sheet arrived yesterday, so:

1. I decided to go around the outside of the UTA. Created a template using brown paper:

Creating a Template with Brown Paper

2. Transferred the templated cut-outs to the foam sheet:

Transfering the Template to the 1/8" Foam Sheet

3. Cut out the indicated spots, and here's the UTA with the foam light shroud/dew shield fitted. I decided on a 15" height (twice the height of the UTA):

The UTA with the Foam Surround

4. And here's the whole scope, complete with the UTA foam light shroud/dew shield.

Scope Assembled with Foam Surround UTA

At the moment, fastened with binder clips. That works, but I'll try to do something with hook and loop fasteners a little later.

Edited by Dana in Philly, 19 January 2019 - 03:05 PM.

• Carl Kolchak, Don H, brentknight and 2 others like this

#86 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Apollo

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:57 AM

Interesting thread, Thanks for posting. Now that you've had it for a while, any idea how long it takes to set up when fully broken down? I keep thinking about getting one to take in my RV if it fits under the bed. Right now I travel with my 80mm or 100mm refractor. I'd love to have the extra aperture if I wouldn't be spending too much time setting up and breaking down. Also wondering if there are a lot of loose parts that could get lost easily. I'm setting up in the dark quite often after a long drive. 

Thanks

John

#87 Don H

Don H

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Desert SW

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:54 PM

4. And here's the whole scope, complete with the UTA foam light shroud/dew shield.

At the moment, fastened with binder clips. That works, but I'll try to do something with hook and loop fasteners a little later.

It looks like that turned out great! Not only will that cut down on stray light, but it may help avoid getting dew on your secondary, too...

#88 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

Interesting thread, Thanks for posting. Now that you've had it for a while, any idea how long it takes to set up when fully broken down? I keep thinking about getting one to take in my RV if it fits under the bed. Right now I travel with my 80mm or 100mm refractor. I'd love to have the extra aperture if I wouldn't be spending too much time setting up and breaking down. Also wondering if there are a lot of loose parts that could get lost easily. I'm setting up in the dark quite often after a long drive. 

Thanks

John

Takes me about 15 to 20 minutes, John. It's pretty simple: attach the altitude bearings to the mirror box; then pop the mirror box into the rocker box; then attach the lower trusses to the mirror box; then attach the UTA to the upper trusses; then collimate. It collimates easily. As to loose parts -- yes, a few: the four knurled bolts and two hex screws that attach the altitude bearings to the mirror box, and the four knurled bolts that attach the UTA to the trusses. I keep all these fasteners in a single flannel eyepiece bag when the scope is disassembled.

You want the dimensions of the rocker box and mirror box?

Edited by Dana in Philly, 20 January 2019 - 05:43 PM.

• Carl Kolchak and NYJohn S like this

#89 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

Ordered some fat 4" wide adhesive backed velcro strips for the UTA cover. Should be here at week's end.

#90 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• Loc: Oil City, PA

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:19 PM

Scope looks awesome! Do you ever get up to Cherry Springs Dark Sky Park in north-central PA?

#91 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Apollo

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

Takes me about 15 to 20 minutes, John. It's pretty simple: attach the altitude bearings to the mirror box; then pop the mirror box into the rocker box; then attach the lower trusses to the mirror box; then attach the UTA to the upper trusses; then collimate. It collimates easily. As to loose parts -- yes, a few: the four knurled bolts and two hex screws that attach the altitude bearings to the mirror box, and the four knurled bolts that attached the UTA to the trusses. I keep them in a flannel eyepiece bag when the scope is disassembled.

You want the dimensions of the rocker box and mirror box?

That would be great. I was just trying to figure out where it would fit. Thanks! 

#92 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:04 PM

OK. Rocker box is L 15.5" x W 15.5" x H 12.5". The 7.5" high UTA nests in the rocker box.

Mirror box is L 13" x W 13" x H 11.5"

Truss lengths are approx. 28" long, if that matters for storage.

• NYJohn S likes this

#93 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:24 PM

Scope looks awesome! Do you ever get up to Cherry Springs Dark Sky Park in north-central PA?

Hi John. I've been up to Cherry Springs motorcycle camping, but never with a telescope. Will have to try this year during some new moon cycle.

Edited by Dana in Philly, 20 January 2019 - 05:25 PM.

#94 Dana in Philly

Dana in Philly

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

My partner just observed that the shame of all this shrouding (the yellow Shrouds by Heather shroud and the foam UTA shroud) is that it covers up the structure of this cool looking instrument such that you can no longer see it. Instead it looks like some sort of sky cannon.

But I do believe it'll improve the contrast in the images.

Edited by Dana in Philly, 20 January 2019 - 06:07 PM.

#95 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• Loc: Oil City, PA

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:29 PM

Hi John. I've been up to Cherry Springs motorcycle camping, but never with a telescope. Will have to try this year during some new moon cycle.

Do try to get up.  You won't regret it.

#96 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Apollo

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:50 PM

OK. Rocker box is L 15.5" x W 15.5" x H 12.5". The 7.5" high UTA nests in the rocker box.

Mirror box is L 13" x W 13" x H 11.5"

Truss lengths are approx. 28" long, if that matters for storage.

Thank you Dana!

#97 lynnelkriver

lynnelkriver

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Elk River, Mn.

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:40 PM

Congrats on your new scope!  Scott

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics