•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

messier 33 from Borrego Springs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Huntington, NY, USA

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:45 PM

Luckily I did take a photo of this sketch with my cell phone because the original was crushed and smeared on my return trip to the northeast.  I could not make the background as beautiful as it appeared in the eyepiece in the desert sky by working with the cell phone photo...just did my best. I would have much preferred scanning the original sketch, but alas it's ruined.  I'm going back in November and doing another sketch of this beautiful galaxy at the eyepiece will be high on the list!  The galaxy took up almost the entire field of view in the Meade 24.5 super wide angle lens ( which is 20 years old and still a wonderful eyepiece ).  Many mottled areas visible, two prominent spiral arms.  NGC 604 was easily seen as well as some other HII regions that I've not yet identified.  Sorry it took so long to post this one. This was the best view I have ever had of Messier 33.

Thanks for looking and clear skies!

Regards,

Randolph

messier33.jpg

Edited by Randolph Jay, 20 October 2018 - 09:48 PM.

• eros312, deepwoods1, niteskystargazer and 12 others like this

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:18 AM

Randolph, now you're cooking. Nice job, and glad you had an image to show us. Messier 33 brings back memories of how challenging it is (for me.) I starred at it for over an hour. Oddly, I never did see the spiral arms as clearly as your sketch implies. But, I did manage to figure out where they were as well as their orientation. I see you got NGC 604. I also managed NGC 595. I am sure it was visible to you, too, just missed it. It's in closer to the core. 

#3 cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:41 AM

Great work! And a proof that the C11 is a true deepsky telescope... When you get back in November, make sure you go after the emission nebulae. There's a map from Steve Gottlieb that you can use to hunt them down. Besides NGC 604, I think that NGC 592 is the one that was easiest visible.

Regards, Martijn

• Asbytec likes this

#4 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:57 AM

Thank you Norme and Martijn.  Martijn I took a look at Steve Gottlieb's map of HII regions and stellar associations and have added labels to my sketch of possible candidates.  Of course NGC 604 was blazingly obvious, but perhaps some of the other knots of brightness are some of these other HII regions and associations.  This certainly will be revisited in November!

Regards,

Randolph

messier33labels.jpg

• Asbytec, niteskystargazer and cloudbuster like this

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:41 AM

"I think that NGC 592 is the one that was easiest visible."

You may be right. I thought NGC 595 was. Maybe both. They are close together. I only spotted one of them, not sure which. Along with some clumpiness to the faint glow. Also got the impression, at least visually, the core was elongated. The thing about M33 is it has been a nemesis for many years. So hard to observe. But, we can actually make something of it. Beautiful. Nice one, Randolph.

#6 avid_dk

avid_dk

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Oregon, SW USA

Posted 21 October 2018 - 01:47 PM

Randolph,

Might I ask where you observe when you are in Borrego?  We are there for several months each winter in our RV and have been used to observing near our RV site.  I also have been to the Star parties at the Lutheran church, where it is amazingly dark.  Not sure they would want regular visitors using their property.  

#7 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2018 - 03:51 PM

Norme I meant to write NGC 595 not 596. This is all guesswork except for 604 which just jumped right out! I need to revisit this one when I'm there again next month. As I've mentioned, it was the best view to date that I've had of this galaxy. Thank you so much for your interest and encouragement!
Regards,
Randolph
  • Asbytec likes this

#8 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:36 AM

Randolph,

Nice sketch of  Messier 33 (From Borrego Springs) smile.gif .

Too bad it got crushed and smeared on my return trip to the northeast.

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#9 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 27 October 2018 - 11:44 AM

Randolph, now you're cooking. Nice job, and glad you had an image to show us. Messier 33 brings back memories of how challenging it is (for me.) I starred at it for over an hour. Oddly, I never did see the spiral arms as clearly as your sketch implies. But, I did manage to figure out where they were as well as their orientation. I see you got NGC 604. I also managed NGC 595. I am sure it was visible to you, too, just missed it. It's in closer to the core. 

This guy's killin it with that C11 !!!!

Randolph,  you re inspiring the heck out of us here.

Too, I'm glad you got the massive C11.  What a beautiful able scope.

Pete

#10 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:45 AM

Randolph,

Great work, you are where you need to be.

Frank :)

#11 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:24 PM

Thank you  Tom, Pete and Frank.  I will be revisiting this one in a week or so and really want to see how many of those emission nebulae I can spot!

Regards,

Randolph

#12 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:36 AM

A UHC could play big here.

Pete

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics