•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What Classic did you use to see Shoemaker-Levy 9

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#26 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: GA

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:14 PM

Hale Bopp was amazing! Drove down to Everglades National Park from where I lived in Miami Springs. Went down to Mahogany Hammock and the comet seemed to span the entire sky! Also photographed it and have an 8x10 to Barb at the Southern Cross Astronomy club.

• steve t, Exnihilo, terraclarke and 1 other like this

#27 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:15 PM

Then there was Hale Bop....Maybe those two comets need their own thread?

Hale-Bopp was a good comet, a terrific comet... but not a "Great" comet.  Hyakutake was ghostly and weird.  Like Holmes, but for a different reason. 

Hale-Bopp was like a 1/3 size West.   Hyakutake did span the sky, but was dim.

Still waiting for the comet that can best comet West, for northern hemisphere viewers, at least.  

• steve t, Paul Morow, terraclarke and 1 other like this

#28 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:47 PM

Hale Bop as I recall  was visable just before and during and after sunset. It hung around for quite awhile.

Can you folks remember almost driving off the road looking at it on the way home from work?

I was working in Hartford   driving 50 miles south each night after work and it was quite the disrtaction......

I barely remember comet west....but I was 18

• rolo, steve t, Exnihilo and 1 other like this

#29 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Apollo

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:19 PM

At the time Hale Bopp came around, I was living in Huntsville, AL. I had a nice pair of 9x63 binos in which it looked spectacular. I remember comet West as well. I was 17, living in Denver where I grew up, and remember getting up early to see it. I only saw it the one morning when it had just come out of the sun's glare. Unforgettable.

Edited by Exnihilo, 22 October 2018 - 01:22 PM.

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#30 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:39 PM

Hubble Space Telescope. I helped write the observing proposal and was in there when the images came down. Wasn't a classic then, but it is now.

• rolo, steve t, Chuck Hards and 4 others like this

#31 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:46 PM

Shoemaker-Levy 9: 76mm f=910mm Japanese Achromat and 266mm f=4000mm Alvan Clark Achromat.

• rolo, John O'Hara, steve t and 2 others like this

#32 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:48 PM

My first real 'astronomy' comet was Ikeya-Seki in November and December of 1965!

• L. Regira, Erik Bakker, rolo and 4 others like this

#33 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 October 2018 - 01:57 PM

Hale Bopp was amazing! Drove down to Everglades National Park from where I lived in Miami Springs. Went down to Mahogany Hammock and the comet seemed to span the entire sky! Also photographed it and have an 8x10 to Barb at the Southern Cross Astronomy club.

Rolo,

So i went to Everglades National Park   and the Keys back in 1986 for comet Haley .Mahogany Hammock?  That was past Homestead Airforce base?

I had the 2080LX2 laying a blanket all loaded up with a acoustic guitar and a fiddle in the old Datsun 280z. I had a broken left leg and I was on crutches...yeah shifting the 5 speed with my good right leg doing the clutch,the break, and the gas. I drove down to Miami  by myself. My wife Diane, then my fiancee, flew down later.

I  stopped at the space center on the way down. I had never been there and could not just drive by on I-95........I was placed under arrest but later released.....long story ...  but .... The Saturn Five was on display laying on its side out on the tar mack   I wanted a picture of my 280z next to the Saturn five and so   while moving around on crutches   I moved the chains and road block and drove out on the tar mack  and I  had just taken a pic with the old minolta 35mm and all hell and the police rained down on me. The young officers had me under arrest but the older supervisor arrived and  questioned me...I told him about waiting for Haley's comet since third grade and I waited til I was 28 to see it      they saw the Blue Meade and big field tripod when they searched my car and I was responding in full yes sir no sir  sir yes sir  sorry sir  stupid touristo mode and he made the young cops let me go...... Still have the pic of my 280Z parked alongside the Saturn Five btw...

We stayed up very late and slept on the beach in the afternoon..We stayed in the grove and later at Miami Beach in the Alexander..The cuban food was outstanding.

I recall that Comet Haley was better in March when it was further away than in April when it had its closest approach because the tail was less visable hiding behind the comet somehow.

I bet the Everglades are still quite dark today  heading west on the Tamiami Trail.

Barry

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 22 October 2018 - 02:16 PM.

• rolo, steve t, Exnihilo and 4 others like this

#34 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:01 PM

Hubble Space Telescope. I helped write the observing proposal and was in there when the images came down. Wasn't a classic then, but it is now.

Holy  cow ...   Amazing 

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 22 October 2018 - 02:02 PM.

#35 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:05 PM

In my observations book: "Comet P/Shoemaker 1993C, 7/19/1994, 8:00 p.m. 3 Comet impact sites easily seen!!"  I also had made a sketch on the same page.  It was viewed using my homemade Newtonian using the Coulter 12.5" f/6.3 mirror.

• Adam S, rolo, steve t and 5 others like this

#36 highfnum

highfnum

Aurora

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:13 PM

3 inch jeager

• rolo, steve t and Exnihilo like this

#37 Bonco2

Bonco2

Mariner 2

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:21 PM

6 inch f/8 AP triplet and 10 inch f/6 Cave Custom Deluxe. Both were superb for the job, but the Cave showed more detail and provided some fine Pictures. Sorry I don't have them digitized. Hale Bopp and Hyakutake were best observed with bino's

Bill

• rolo and steve t like this

#38 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:43 PM

Show off!waytogo.gif

• rcwolpert and bremms like this

#39 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:43 PM

Rolo,

So i went to Everglades National Park   and the Keys back in 1986 for comet Haley .Mahogany Hammock?  That was past Homestead Airforce base?

I had the 2080LX2 laying a blanket all loaded up with a acoustic guitar and a fiddle in the old Datsun 280z. I had a broken left leg and I was on crutches...yeah shifting the 5 speed with my good right leg doing the clutch,the break, and the gas. I drove down to Miami  by myself. My wife Diane, then my fiancee, flew down later.

I  stopped at the space center on the way down. I had never been there and could not just drive by on I-95........I was placed under arrest but later released.....long story ...  but .... The Saturn Five was on display laying on its side out on the tar mack   I wanted a picture of my 280z next to the Saturn five and so   while moving around on crutches   I moved the chains and road block and drove out on the tar mack  and I  had just taken a pic with the old minolta 35mm and all hell and the police rained down on me. The young officers had me under arrest but the older supervisor arrived and  questioned me...I told him about waiting for Haley's comet since third grade and I waited til I was 28 to see it      they saw the Blue Meade and big field tripod when they searched my car and I was responding in full yes sir no sir  sir yes sir  sorry sir  stupid touristo mode and he made the young cops let me go...... Still have the pic of my 280Z parked alongside the Saturn Five btw...

We stayed up very late and slept on the beach in the afternoon..We stayed in the grove and later at Miami Beach in the Alexander..The cuban food was outstanding.

I recall that Comet Haley was better in March when it was further away than in April when it had its closest approach because the tail was less visable hiding behind the comet somehow.

I bet the Everglades are still quite dark today  heading west on the Tamiami Trail.

Barry

Great story.

• rolo, steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#40 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:48 PM

Show off!waytogo.gif

Yea.. My wife says... GEEK... You know the video where everyone is hunched over the monitor looking at the images? She says "are you in that picture??"  I'm standing behind the camera.  Or at least to the side.

• rolo, steve t, rcwolpert and 2 others like this

#41 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:23 PM

Rolo,

Barry

Barry that’s a hell of experience you had there! Just the one legged drive is too much! 

Mahogany Hammock is in the National park down past Florida City. I was there in 1986 as well to see the comet. I had a 300zx at the time and stuffed mymMeade 628 in it. Drove down with a few of my friends to see the somewhat disappointing appearance! 

The Everglades aren’t as dark now. Even back in 2009 when I last visited there was more sky glow towards Miami. 

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#42 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:26 PM

Shoemaker-Levy 9: 76mm f=910mm Japanese Achromat and 266mm f=4000mm Alvan Clark Achromat.

266mm Alvan Clark!crazyeyes.gif

• steve t likes this

#43 Gil V

Gil V

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:34 PM

My hybrid Dynamax 4. Only notable observation I ever made with that scope.

Edited by Gil V, 22 October 2018 - 04:34 PM.

• rolo, steve t, Exnihilo and 3 others like this

#44 mfalls

mfalls

Vostok 1

• Loc: Boston Mountains Arkansas

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:48 PM

Criterion Dynamax 8.  I remember wondering before initial impact if the sites would be visible and then being wowed by how large, numerous and sharp the sites were.

Edited by mfalls, 22 October 2018 - 04:49 PM.

• rolo, steve t, Exnihilo and 4 others like this

#45 L. Regira

L. Regira

Ranger 4

• Loc: Theriot, LA 29' 42"N; 90.78W

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:02 PM

My Cave 12.5 inch f5 before I had the mirror refigured in 2002.  It still gave a good view of the black smudges the comet left behind.  One of the few times my wife had a look too.  What I most remember is that it did not take Jupiter long to assimilate the comet into its atmosphere as the black dots stretched out and disappeared over time.

• rolo, John O'Hara, steve t and 2 others like this

#46 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:39 PM

Shortly after the comet I got a 10” Newt. I sure wish I would have had it for the impact!

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#47 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:03 PM

Starliner 2" mount and a new Starliner 10" F/8.3.

• rolo, steve t, bremms and 1 other like this

#48 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:15 PM

so, you had the scope that you’ve been looking for...some are keepers

#49 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:05 AM

so, you had the scope that you’ve been looking for...some are keepers

I'm looking for all kinds of scopes.

#50 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:06 AM

July 16, 1994 2130UT using my home built 16" f/6.9 Newt.  Oh well, read the file about us Floridians:

Attached File  SL-9a.pdf   352.69KB   34 downloads

Edited by Jeff B1, 24 October 2018 - 08:10 AM.

• L. Regira, steve t, Jimmy462 and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics