•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Three Decades of C8's

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SC

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:53 PM

Turns out I seem to be collecting C8's without wanting to. Here are three C8's; One from early 1974, one from sometime in 1978 or 79 at the lateset and one from

about 1997 or so. The Sandcast 1974 I bought about 6 years ago and it had good optics and those wonderful mechanicals of a sandcast. The 1978 was a rescue scope. Badly damaged coatings required a recoat. after recoating and careful reassembly it delivers nice bright images and has surprisingly good optics. The black one was donated to our club by a former member and it will be used for outreach. That one isn't mine so technically I only have two. Took the black one for a test flight and it performed well and is in pristine condition.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0191.jpg

• eros312, deepwoods1, terraclarke and 4 others like this

#2 Rustler46

Rustler46

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:45 PM

Also worthy of note are the tripods. That original 1974 tripod is very robust. I still have the one from my old C-5 from around 1974. I sold the C-5 but kept the wedge and tripod for my 1985 Super C-8 Plus. The tripod can easily support my 185 lb. (84 kg.) weight when I sit on the top platform.

#3 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:13 AM

Also worthy of note are the tripods. That original 1974 tripod is very robust. I still have the one from my old C-5 from around 1974. I sold the C-5 but kept the wedge and tripod for my 1985 Super C-8 Plus. The tripod can easily support my 185 lb. (84 kg.) weight when I sit on the top platform.

Yes, The early tripod is robust. Unfortunately, I don't have the early wedge for the sandcast C8. The scope came with the later wedge. I'm going to get another club member to care for the black C8. He comes to outreach all the time and needs a scope.

• deepwoods1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics