•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY168C vs ASI071

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 niteskyze

niteskyze

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:01 AM

QHY claims zero amp glow in their implementation of this chip -- unfortunately the link on their new website to the test results is broken. Does anyone have any real world experience they can share or perhaps some actual raw darks that can be posted?  Any real world comparisons between the ZWO and QHY versions are also appreciated.

Edited by niteskyze, 22 October 2018 - 10:09 AM.

#2 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:05 AM

These cameras use two different sensors.  Did you mean the QHY168C?

#3 niteskyze

niteskyze

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:10 AM

These cameras use two different sensors.  Did you mean the QHY168C?

Yup -- Monday morning, not enough caffeine -- yet -- changed the title -- thanks for the heads up

#4 cccha

cccha

Sputnik

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:39 PM

QHY claims zero amp glow in their implementation of this chip -- unfortunately the link on their new website to the test results is broken. Does anyone have any real world experience they can share or perhaps some actual raw darks that can be posted?  Any real world comparisons between the ZWO and QHY versions are also appreciated.

http://www.qhyccd.co...=94&id=13&cut=1

The QHY official website link has been fixed, you can view the dark field sample of QHY168C at the above link.

• niteskyze likes this

#5 LYAstro

LYAstro

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:00 PM

QHY's new website has more information. At the same time, there are also many fans who carry out the transformation of QHY168M.laugh.gif

https://www.facebook...&type=3

• niteskyze likes this

#6 lucutes

lucutes

Vostok 1

• Loc: Western Canada

Posted 23 October 2018 - 11:51 AM

belushi.gif 
IMX071 Monochrome?

#7 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Apollo

Posted 23 October 2018 - 12:34 PM

I have the QHY168C. It is not totally true about zero amp glow. On a 10 minute dark the amp glow can be seen as a variation of 1 ADU but at that level it is as near as not really there!

If you would like a BIAS & DARK let me know & I can dropbox them for you.

• niteskyze likes this

#8 niteskyze

niteskyze

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2018 - 12:41 PM

I have the QHY168C. It is not totally true about zero amp glow. On a 10 minute dark the amp glow can be seen as a variation of 1 ADU but at that level it is as near as not really there!

If you would like a BIAS & DARK let me know & I can dropbox them for you.

Thanks for the offer of the DARK and BIAS but if your real world experience has the glow really that low then I don't need to see them. I am looking for confirmation of the QHY marketing claim. Have you had any driver issues?  

#9 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Apollo

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the offer of the DARK and BIAS but if your real world experience has the glow really that low then I don't need to see them. I am looking for confirmation of the QHY marketing claim. Have you had any driver issues?  

I had initial stability issues using a USB3 interface and this has been confirmed with different computers. I resolved the issues by using USB2 and making sure that the PSU I used was at least 5 amps. Your mileage may differ with your USB3 but I could not get a reliable download with USB3 even with a good PSU and extensive changing of the USB priority in the ASCOM driver settings.

However with the USB2 connection & 5 AMP PSU thye camera has been reasonably reliable all though the initial driver installation took a few reboots to get the camera to be reliably seen. I would advise testing the installation first on another computer to get comfortable with the installation & do a system restore on your main computer before attempting the driver installation so you can roll back in case of issues.

#10 billdan

billdan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Queensland

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:22 PM

belushi.gif 
IMX071 Monochrome?

This is a debayered version of the QHY168C, that you can purchase from ChipMod in China.

You will need Google translate.

https://shop15548453...rld.taobao.com/

Cheers

Bill

#11 1DegreeN

1DegreeN

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Prachinburi, Thailand

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:54 PM

I have the QHY168C and it has been trouble free, no issues with drivers or connectivity. I have it connected directly to a USB3 port on a Dell laptop using a standard 3 meter USB3 cable. 

• niteskyze likes this

#12 lucutes

lucutes

Vostok 1

• Loc: Western Canada

Posted 23 October 2018 - 11:19 PM

The way Terry puts it I think QHY is making a mono version?

This time around the camera we are using is the QHY168 Monochrome CMOS camera with an APS-C format sensor that was sent to us for beta testing. The QHY168M matched with the Sky-Watcher 150 Esprit has an image scale of 0.94 arcsec/pixel and a Field of view of 51.6 x 77.7 arcmin.
The QHY168 uses the SONY Exmor IMX071 sensor which has 4.8um pixels and 2.3e- to 3.2e- read noise.

https://flic.kr/p/MTAbvc

#13 billdan

billdan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Queensland

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:33 AM

Yes I don't know what happened here, back in May last year, QHY made a big song and dance about the mono version of the QHY168 and then everything went quiet.

So it appears that ChipMod ( I believe QHY commissioned these guys to do the mod)  is the only source for the camera now.

You can follow the original thread on QHY's forum here.

http://en.coolccd.co...hp?topic=5908.0

and here

http://en.coolccd.co...hp?topic=6127.0

Cheers

Bill

Edited by billdan, 24 October 2018 - 02:53 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics