•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Turn Left At Orion 5th Edition Oct. 31st

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 pugliano

pugliano

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:34 PM

New 5th edition of Turn Left At Orion coming out next week.

https://www.amazon.c...ar system&psc=1

• Stellarfire, James Paulson, Jim Davis and 2 others like this

#2 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:39 PM

What is new from 4th edition?

#3 pugliano

pugliano

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:41 PM

What is new from 4th edition?

That's what I'd like to know too!

#4 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Ranger 4

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:12 PM

This is all that seems to be new in the 5th edition "Along with updated star names and astronomical information, this new edition provides links to a dedicated webpage with up-to-date tables and images, and an improved planets chapter."

• pugliano and Stellarfire like this

#5 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:12 PM

FK2 - I would bet a higher cover price....   :-)

MP/BL

#6 spereira

spereira

Viking 1

• Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

I've had mine on pre-order on Amazon for a while.  $23.11.  Not too expensive, and I figured that since I wanted to get that title, I'd wait a bit for the most current edition.

smp

• pugliano likes this

#7 geofizzy

geofizzy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:28 PM

The difference between the 4th and 5th editions of Turn Left at Orion is much smaller than between the 3rd and 4th (by adding the southern sky and views with a Dob, the 4th edition was close to an entirely new book), but for the 5th we've made a bunch of changes with which we're pretty pleased.  The most visible difference in the 5th edition is an expanded planets section, but the bulk of the modifications are actually related to updating the science and, of course, the tables.  

The new edition is also much more closely linked to the web resources, which are also considerably more extensive than they were.  In addition to new information on the planets and upcoming sky events, the thing we're most excited about in the website is the supplemental information and alternative charts for each deep-sky object and each phase of the Moon.  For the printed version of the book, we had to make some arbitrary choices about what sort of telescope and finderscope you'd be using, and in which hemisphere.  Change any of those variables and the drawings, which I've tried hard to make realistic, become either upside-down or mirror-imaged from what you see in the telescope.  That's why we've added those permutations to the website.  We've had fun working on the 5th edition and we're looking forward to seeing it in print...

Clear skies!

-Dan Davis

• Taylor, okiestarman56, dpastern and 6 others like this

#8 dpastern

dpastern

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:34 AM

The difference between the 4th and 5th editions of Turn Left at Orion is much smaller than between the 3rd and 4th (by adding the southern sky and views with a Dob, the 4th edition was close to an entirely new book), but for the 5th we've made a bunch of changes with which we're pretty pleased.  The most visible difference in the 5th edition is an expanded planets section, but the bulk of the modifications are actually related to updating the science and, of course, the tables.  

The new edition is also much more closely linked to the web resources, which are also considerably more extensive than they were.  In addition to new information on the planets and upcoming sky events, the thing we're most excited about in the website is the supplemental information and alternative charts for each deep-sky object and each phase of the Moon.  For the printed version of the book, we had to make some arbitrary choices about what sort of telescope and finderscope you'd be using, and in which hemisphere.  Change any of those variables and the drawings, which I've tried hard to make realistic, become either upside-down or mirror-imaged from what you see in the telescope.  That's why we've added those permutations to the website.  We've had fun working on the 5th edition and we're looking forward to seeing it in print...

Clear skies!

-Dan Davis

Dan - surely it wouldn't be that hard to show alternative North and Southern hemisphere views in the book...us poor Southerners get hard done by in nearly every astro book and it's very disappointing...and very frustrating...the website isn't always available - especially if you're out in the field in a mobile coverage blackspot...might I suggest a downloadable app (iOS/Android) for those that have purchased the book?  Even at a reasonably priced separate purchase to the book, I'd consider it.  

I only have an older 3rd edition version of your book, (I'm not working, and money is TIGHT), so I'm looking to try and stretch the budget to afford the 5th edition when it becomes available.  

#9 bbanicki

bbanicki

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:48 AM

Pre Ordered through Barnes and noble for a Nov 30 release date...

#10 James Paulson

James Paulson

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:53 AM

Definitely want to add this one to my library.

#11 bbanicki

bbanicki

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:11 PM

Those that bought this book Turn left at Orion though Amazon that had a release date of October 31, get the book yet, if so

hows the book?

#12 obrazell

obrazell

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:53 AM

I think the release date has been moved to the end of November so i doubt anyone has the book yet.

Owen

#13 petmic

petmic

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovakia

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:00 AM

Hmm...I have 3rd edition in hard cover. Do you think it is worth to update to 5th?

#14 spereira

spereira

Viking 1

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:59 AM

Those that bought this book Turn left at Orion though Amazon that had a release date of October 31, get the book yet, if so

hows the book?

I pre-ordered on Amazon, and on November 2nd, I received a message that my book will arrive sometime between December 3 and December 31.

Still patiently waiting...  lol.gif

smp

#15 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Ranger 4

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:47 PM

I pre-ordered on Amazon, and on November 2nd, I received a message that my book will arrive sometime between December 3 and December 31.

Still patiently waiting...  lol.gif

smp

This seems to be Amazon's way lately. I know a bunch of people including myself that also ordered the new Interstellarum which was suppose to ship early only to receive an email from Amazon saying that ship date had been moved up a month.

#16 spereira

spereira

Viking 1

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:21 AM

I just received another message from Amazon this morning saying that the release date is now January 30, 2019.

smp

• pugliano likes this

#17 krahling

krahling

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Ohio, USA

Posted 26 December 2018 - 12:56 PM

When I checked Amazon this morning the release date is now January 24, 2019.

• pugliano and Knasal like this

#18 BillDoor

BillDoor

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

got a notification that mine is currently being delivered (central europe.)

#19 spereira

spereira

Viking 1

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

got a notification that mine is currently being delivered (central europe.)

That's very encouraging!  Thanks for posting.  My Amazon order still says the release date is January 24 (here in the US).  Hopefully, that will remain true if they're starting to ship elsewhere.

smp

#20 bbanicki

bbanicki

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:54 PM

Barnes and noble is showing January 24 2019 release date.

#21 obrazell

obrazell

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:53 AM

I think from previous posts on CUP books it now takes quite a while for them to get to the US. I think 8 weeks was suggested. I know it is out as I have a review copy.

Owen

#22 Davesterx

Davesterx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:56 PM

Amazon update for anyone else waiting on this: I ordered back in June and just got an e-mail that it would be delivered on Jan 24th. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the updated book!

• pugliano likes this

#23 AJ

AJ

Viking 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:21 AM

I was a little disappointed to see (in "Look Inside" on Amazon) that finder views in this revision are still inverted, rather than correct image.  I know that some folks still prefer straight through finder scopes, with their upside down image.  But my guess is that RACI (right-angle-correct-image) finders long ago became the norm, and straight through finders, the exception.  RACI finders are MUCH easier on your neck and back during prolonged star-hops..

Also, using 6 degree true-field-of-view (TFOV) for the finder views exceeds the field of view of the several 8X50 and 9X50 finders I've owned.  I always measure the actual TFOV of finders (and eyepieces) by timing star drift.  4.9 to 5.3 degrees is the range for all the 50mm finders I've owned over the past 3 decades.

Possibly this can be reevaluated for the sixth edition.  My preference would be 5 degree, correct image.  I know that I can turn the book upside down and the image would then match the orientation of my finder. And, 6 degrees is "only" 20% larger in diameter and 44% bigger in area.  But, little things matter when you're chasing a very faint fuzzy, trying to match the star field in your finder to what's shown in a book.

• Steve Harris likes this

#24 spereira

spereira

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

I just got a message from Amazon that my order was "upgraded" so that it will now arrive at my house on January 24.

Finally!

smp

#25 bbanicki

bbanicki

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 January 2019 - 11:43 AM

Barnes and noble charged my credit card so i hope to get a shipped email soon...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics