•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Turn Left At Orion 5th Edition Oct. 31st

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 spereira

spereira

Viking 1

• Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 24 January 2019 - 03:48 PM

I received my new 5th Edition from Amazon today.

For me, since this is my first time with this particular title, I am very pleased and it was well worth the wait.

smp

• pugliano likes this

#27 caussade

caussade

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted 01 March 2019 - 04:00 PM

The difference between the 4th and 5th editions of Turn Left at Orion is much smaller than between the 3rd and 4th (by adding the southern sky and views with a Dob, the 4th edition was close to an entirely new book), but for the 5th we've made a bunch of changes with which we're pretty pleased.  The most visible difference in the 5th edition is an expanded planets section, but the bulk of the modifications are actually related to updating the science and, of course, the tables.  

The new edition is also much more closely linked to the web resources, which are also considerably more extensive than they were.  In addition to new information on the planets and upcoming sky events, the thing we're most excited about in the website is the supplemental information and alternative charts for each deep-sky object and each phase of the Moon.  For the printed version of the book, we had to make some arbitrary choices about what sort of telescope and finderscope you'd be using, and in which hemisphere.  Change any of those variables and the drawings, which I've tried hard to make realistic, become either upside-down or mirror-imaged from what you see in the telescope.  That's why we've added those permutations to the website.  We've had fun working on the 5th edition and we're looking forward to seeing it in print...

Clear skies!

-Dan Davis

Thanks for this valuable information, Dan.  Very informative.

I own the 3rd edition (which was signed by Guy Consolmagno, who I met personally in 2017) and absolutely love this book.

You together have composed what probably could be the best ever introduction to amateur astronomy.

Thanks again!

Armando Caussade, GCSc, BS

Astronomer specializing in education and public outreach
President emeritus and advisor to the board @ Puerto Rico Astronomy Society

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics