•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LS8 decided to die last weekend...HELP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MSG_Grumpy

MSG_Grumpy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 October 2018 - 05:52 PM

I have an LS8 that i had out last week and right in the middle of observing the telescope locked up and refused to do anything. After getting the scope home and thoroughly dried out (we had a very heavy dew that night) I found the scope would switch on, the power switch is lit, the hand controller beeps, but there is only a background red glow on the handset and no menu, no letters no nothing. I also hear no audio playing so the automatic media does not appear to start.

I have had this scope returned to Meade early this year to repair a firmware issue. I have had it out a couple of times since it has returned and have been fairly happy with it's performance (though it still has the firmware error splash screen that goes away after you scroll through). 

I am hoping that this is a problem with the hand controller and not the scope itself.

If anyone has any ideas as to the source of this problem, and if it is the handset, are they available second hand and if so how much?

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Clear Skies and I hope to be out under them again soon.

MSG Beck

#2 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:52 PM

Well, if you had Meade service the electronics of the scope and now more of the same, I would call Meade and ask them what's up? Maybe they can send you a new hand controler at no charge?

• MSG_Grumpy likes this

#3 wtd1114

wtd1114

Vostok 1

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:45 PM

My suspicion is that it needs the firmware reloaded.  I had an LS6 that was sitting around in the garage for an extended time and I had the same symptom.  The power would come on but nothing would display on the handset.  There would be a dim red glow on the display, but no beep and no characters on the screen.  I had to find a mini-SD card that was under 2GB and download the firmware with the Meade Autostar Suite software.  After reflashing the firmware, everything was working again.  Making the firmware memory card is not that difficult.  However, it is pretty difficult to find the 2GB mini-SD cards.  My understanding is that you can get the firmware memory cards already made if you ask Meade.

You just stick the memory card into the mini-SD memory slot on the LightSwitch body, power on the unit and wait about 40 minutes...

I've heard many people have had to flash and/or reflash their LightSwitch scopes.  I keep the memory card handy because you may need it in the future.  I have flashed my LS6 probably a half a dozen times.  I don't have the LS6 anymore, but I told the subsequent owner to have the memory card handy.

I don't know if replacing the handset will solve the problem.  There is no intelligence in the Autostar handset.  The intelligence is in the LightSwitch itself.  When the LightSwitch is working, it is pretty fun scope.  I just kind of outgrew it...

Anyway, I think it just needs a firmware reload.  Hope you get it sorted out-

Willis

• REC and MSG_Grumpy like this

#4 MSG_Grumpy

MSG_Grumpy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the input, I will contact Meade and get their opinion because of the earlier work they did. I have the SD card and Autostar software to build the firmware disk so I might go ahead and start building/trying that to see if it resolves the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.

MSG Grumpy

#5 Chief5204

Chief5204

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:36 PM

I am having the same problem with my LS-6. I turn the scope on, the light switch flashes a few time then stays lit. The Handbox lights up but no data displayed. No audio. I actually spent a couple of hundred dollars last week on a “new to me” Autostar III Handbox on Ebay that was tested and passed on an LS-8 prior to shipping. Thinking that was the problem. It arrived today, I plugged it in and same symptoms appeared, so I don’t think it’s the Handbox (expensive diagnostic test). I’ll see if I can find a mini SD, load the firmware and re-flash it. Thanks. 

Edited by Chief5204, 13 September 2021 - 08:41 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics