•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nippon Kogaku - 65mm - An advice on how to clean or refurbish it?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 quantum_spintronic

quantum_spintronic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:36 PM

I hope you here at Cloudy Nights can help me... So, I have an old Nippon Kogaku telescope from a relative who was a professional astronomer (physicist?) and I have no idea where to start with this thing... It appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. All together, there is the telescope, tripod, and a wooden box with some accessories. It looks like it needs a little work in cleaning the glass, and it may be missing one or two pieces (spotting scope?)... from what I have read online, it doesn't appear to be a super common telescope. Does anyone know where to get started or what I should and shouldn't do to clean/refurbish this thing? For example, I do know a bit about woodworking. Can I do something small like refinish the tripod legs? Also, someone in another forum said that this telescope may be somewhat rare. If it is worth over $1000, could someone give me a price range? I'd like to add it to my personal property insurance (I've already had one house fire, and don't mess around with insurance). 

Thanks for any help, I'm hoping to get some use out of this telescope. 

#2 J A VOLK

J A VOLK

Viking 1

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:52 PM

very desirable collectible scope - general rule for vintage gear is don't refinish/paint anything unless completely trashed, which does not seem to be the case. A little research will yield good info on how to best clean it up without diminishing the collectible value.

#3 Garyth64

Garyth64

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 29 October 2018 - 02:54 PM

Hi Quantum, welcome to CN.

The people here have a wealth of information, and they are willing to share it.

You will get lots of good advice for your old classic.

-Gary

#4 quantum_spintronic

quantum_spintronic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:06 PM

very desirable collectible scope - general rule for vintage gear is don't refinish/paint anything unless completely trashed, which does not seem to be the case. A little research will yield good info on how to best clean it up without diminishing the collectible value.

Volk, thanks for the advice. I kind of figured that I would ask around before I started doing anything stupid. Everything seems to be in OK condition, but it does need a good cleaning. 

Hi Quantum, welcome to CN.

The people here have a wealth of information, and they are willing to share it.

You will get lots of good advice for your old classic.

-Gary

Gary, thanks for the welcome. I'm hoping to get some more information on the telescope. I'd really like to get some of the period accessories for it, but it looks like some may be out of my price range... 

#5 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:09 PM

Welcome to CN.    Please post pictures so we can see what the condition of the scope is. After that plenty of people will provide advice.   They will even be able to provide advice on where to get missing parts.  These Nippon scopes are rare and have excellent optics and should be considered a treasure.  

#6 quantum_spintronic

quantum_spintronic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:17 PM

Welcome to CN.    Please post pictures so we can see what the condition of the scope is. After that plenty of people will provide advice.   They will even be able to provide advice on where to get missing parts.  These Nippon scopes are rare and have excellent optics and should be considered a treasure.  

JBjpUzL.jpgOYbL0kr.jpg

• terraclarke, Bomber Bob, walter a and 2 others like this

#7 quantum_spintronic

quantum_spintronic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:18 PM

Not sure if you can see the pictures that I posted. I posted one of the telescope in its box, and another picture of the first page from one of the booklets that was in the box. 

#8 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:35 PM

do you have the counterweight that should in the left side of the box?   I presume you have the tripod?

Also, please take a good picture of the lens so we can what condition it is in.

There should be a serial number on the focuser. Someone here will be able to tell you the date it was made.

#9 quantum_spintronic

quantum_spintronic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:38 PM

The counterweight is with the tripod in the garage. I will take some more pictures when I get home from work. These are the pictures I took last night to look up the telescope. 

#10 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:43 PM

You appear to be missing the finder too.

Here's my thread on mine, it's my favorite small scope:

https://www.cloudyni...-65cm-any-good/

#11 quantum_spintronic

quantum_spintronic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:20 PM

5fCtVkA_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fVFqbckc_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fD5yeL3R_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f3rBnNG7_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fUmxAdfy_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fEdjOqF6_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• terraclarke, Bomber Bob and Esso2112 like this

#12 quantum_spintronic

quantum_spintronic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:21 PM

Just got home and took some more pictures. Not sure if they're showing up so large for everyone else...

#13 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:34 PM

The mount will clean up nicely. How does the lens look?

#14 quantum_spintronic

quantum_spintronic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:54 PM

You appear to be missing the finder too.

Here's my thread on mine, it's my favorite small scope:

https://www.cloudyni...-65cm-any-good/

wfj, awesome! I think I looked through your post when I was trying to find information about my telescope. Also, I could have sworn that there was a finder with the telescope, I'll have to call around to family to see if I can find it.

The mount will clean up nicely. How does the lens look?

starman, I'm going to try to post more pictures that I took tonight. It looks like the lens is just a little dirty? 

Edited by quantum_spintronic, 29 October 2018 - 07:00 PM.

#15 quantum_spintronic

quantum_spintronic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

AqxLoGg.jpgnnTDevw.jpg0TeEGMS.jpg2qEXLqN.jpgN5juFsH.jpgt3YInn0.jpg

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#16 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:33 PM

Looks like classic mold all over the lenses.  Get expert advice on how to clean it.   Do not try and rub it off.   

#17 quantum_spintronic

quantum_spintronic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:01 PM

Looks like classic mold all over the lenses.  Get expert advice on how to clean it.   Do not try and rub it off.   

That would suck... Is it okay to use a rocket blaster like this https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B00017LSPI ? I have one laying around with my camera gear. 

#18 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:18 PM

That would suck... Is it okay to use a rocket blaster like this https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B00017LSPI ? I have one laying around with my camera gear. 

that is just going to get the dust off.  It is safe to use for just getting dust off.

#19 quantum_spintronic

quantum_spintronic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:29 PM

Cool, I am going to try that. I'm glad I posted before attempting to clean it. I was going to use some zeiss wipes and microfiber cleaning pad tonight when I got home from work. 

• terraclarke likes this

#20 quantum_spintronic

quantum_spintronic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:37 PM

It does look like there may be a little bit of mold, but there is also a lot of just dirt on it as well. I'm a little hesitant to try and clean it now... 

8f41h4k.jpg

#21 quantum_spintronic

quantum_spintronic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:39 PM

I'm not very good at adding pictures to this forum.I keep getting replies rejected.

Here is the second image I took that is a bit more high res. 

dhVYyfv.jpg

#22 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:04 PM

give this post some time. Plenty of people will chime in.  Soaking the lens in hydrogen poroxide has provided good results to clean off mold.  Whatever you do, do not try and wipe the dirt off.  Wash it off or blow it off.  stubborn dirt needs to washed off.  

#23 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:06 PM

The problem with taking out the lenses to clean is that it's easy to chip the lenses, especially the flint (inner) one.  One can unscrew the dewcap tube in front of the lens if you wish to halt the growth of any mold (a few hours exposure to the sun can helpt with that without harm.

The cell is a temperature compensating one with little "fingers" that can be bent or broken by accident. Not the best scope to learn how to clean lenses with.

Mine had a similar appearance, and it turned out to not be mold but smoke residue that comes off with a few drops of Dawn in a bowel of water. But I used it for years w/o cleaning it. Suggest you let it be for the moment.

#24 quantum_spintronic

quantum_spintronic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:22 PM

give this post some time. Plenty of people will chime in.  Soaking the lens in hydrogen poroxide has provided good results to clean off mold.  Whatever you do, do not try and wipe the dirt off.  Wash it off or blow it off.  stubborn dirt needs to washed off.  

I used my nifty little rocket cleaner and got most of the dust off. Not sure how I'm going to proceed with mold removal. I might just try some abatement for now since the mold doesn't seem to impact the image too much. 

The problem with taking out the lenses to clean is that it's easy to chip the lenses, especially the flint (inner) one.  One can unscrew the dewcap tube in front of the lens if you wish to halt the growth of any mold (a few hours exposure to the sun can helpt with that without harm.

The cell is a temperature compensating one with little "fingers" that can be bent or broken by accident. Not the best scope to learn how to clean lenses with.

Mine had a similar appearance, and it turned out to not be mold but smoke residue that comes off with a few drops of Dawn in a bowel of water. But I used it for years w/o cleaning it. Suggest you let it be for the moment.

Smoke actually makes a lot of sense. The previous owner of the telescope smoked a pack a day until his mid-90s. I'm sure that 50+ years of smoke exposure had it's toll on the lens. 

By the way, does anyone know if it would be okay to use a fine grit sandpaper and some oil to remove rust on the telescope and tripod? Maybe some light sanding and mineral oil or teak oil on the wooden case and tripod legs? The wood appears to have a very thin grain, and I thought I read somewhere that it is a teak case. 

#25 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:58 PM

That objective definitely needs cleaning and they are tricky. I don't think there's a way to remove it without first removing the dew shield and then the complete cell. I had to remove the cell,three collimation screws that hold it place. It will probably need to be collimated(aligned) afterwards so if you don't have the tool it may be off.

I had one recently and I had to clean it, the views were excellent. In that condition the value is greatly diminished.

Here's the link to my post on this scope. It may be helpful to you.

https://www.cloudyni...-nippon-kogaku/

Rolo

Edited by rolo, 29 October 2018 - 09:59 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics