•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What DSO did you just observe for the first time? Rate it 1 to 5.

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#101 Inkswitch

Inkswitch

Ranger 4

• Loc: Walhonding, OH USA

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:37 AM

Indeed it does look like a 37.  Inspired by Steve Gottlieb I am on a quest to see the entire NGC/IC.  I am the laziest astronomer you ever met so I am just sort of cruising around hitting what takes my fancy without an actual plan.  I have not gotten to 1662 yet but look forward to seeing it with Klingons in mind :).

I have been to Australia so I caught a few of the southern NGCs but another trip will be needed as it was hard for me to look at anything except the LMC.

#102 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:34 PM

Finally went through my notes from the March 8th session in Puppis. There were seven objects, all new to me, which got my top scores. The best of the seven:

Sh 2-311, Bright Nebula. Score 5! The brightest portion of this nebula is obvious and easy even without a filter. I suspect it would be within the range of a conventional eyepieces using UHC filters. The brightest condensation is towards the western edge with extensive fainter nebulosity spilling eastward perhaps a degree or more. Incredible view. Near the center there is a bright line of stars and several dark lanes. Lots of detail. An exciting catch.

The other six in this thread:

http://www.cloudynig...ppis/?p=9228702

Edited by Jeff Morgan, 19 March 2019 - 11:37 PM.

#103 Inkswitch

Inkswitch

Ranger 4

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:57 PM

Tonight I viewed NGC 2470 for the first time.  This galaxy resides in Canis Minor.  I hopped to it from Procyon and said "we made it" we I looked at Procyon.  This was with my 12.5" reflector.  It was not in evidence at 48X and a nearly 7mm exit pupil.  I switched to 95X and a 3.3mm exit pupil, still no go.  I wasn't exactly sure where it was in the field, I only had a general idea because I was using Interstellarum and there weren't enough stars plotted.  I switched to 191X and a 1.7mm exit pupil and now I can see it.  It is almost NW - SE in its long axis, it has low, not super low, surface brightness, it is very slightly brighter in the center but I wouldn't say I detected a core.  Now that I knew exactly where to look I backed down to 95X and now I can see it at this magnification.  The view was better at 191X, my conditions wouldn't support it but I believe this galaxy will take a lot more mag.  I'll be returning on a better night.  I rate this one a 3, it won't draw gasps at outreach but I liked it.

#104 Inkswitch

Inkswitch

Ranger 4

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:38 PM

Tonight I viewed NGC 2346 for the first time.  This planetary nebula resides in Monoceros.  In use was the 12.5" reflector.  It was not in evidence at 48X until I inserted the UHC filter, now it is visible.  Replacing the UHC with OIII was a vast improvement.  I viewed it at 48X, 95X, 191X, and 382X.  All mags used both filters and I still think the OIII was far better.  Central star was easy.  Not a lot of detail but a fun object and easy to find, it is a very short hop from Delta Mon.  I rate it a 3.

#105 Inkswitch

Inkswitch

Ranger 4

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:08 PM

Tonight I viewed the pair of galaxies NGCs 2562, 2563.  These reside in Cancer.  In use was the 12.5" reflector.  This was a very marginal observation.  I correctly identified them in relation to nearby stars and their orientation but then I failed on which galaxy was further north.  I will need to return.  I followed this up by going to Leo for another galaxy pair.  This time it was NGCs 3226 and 3227, aka Arp94.  This pair was bright, relatively speaking, and a much easier observation reminiscent of M51 in that they are a close interacting pair.  This pair should be attainable with far less aperture.  They are a very easy hop from Algieba.  I rate them a 4.

#106 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:13 AM

After examinig a map with my observing eye closed and flipping it to match the view in the eyepiece I managed to find 3c 273. I give it a 4 only because of its faintness and stellar appearance makes it unaesthetic. But the distance is absolutely mind-blowing for 8" aperture! Still tripping on that!
I also saw ngc 2903 and give it a 4 as well. One of the few galaxies that a bit of detail is visible in my scope. Easy central bar with tight swirl at the ends hinting at arm's in a swirled glow. The bar seemed to have a nucleus with the ends being bright where it curved into arms. Southern end seemed more pronounced.
M53 and ngc5053 I give a 3. 5053 was difficult while m53 was a soft cotton ball.
So it's
3c 273 4
Ngc2903 4
M53/ngc5053 3
If conditions were better perhaps m53/5053 might have been a 3.5 but the local lp dome was in that direction. I also never noticed how Leo is beautifully framed by m44 and melotte 111 until tonight. It's been awhile since I've been able to observe (november) due to weather mainly so tonight was quite a pleasant treat.
  • Inkswitch likes this

#107 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:17 AM

After going back out I noticed the "light pollution" moved with the Virgo area. Now I realize I'm seeing Gegenschein and it's acting as light pollution. Not a DSO but I rate it a 4.5 after realizing what it was!
  • Inkswitch, jcj380 and quazy4quasars like this

#108 tchandler

tchandler

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:56 AM

NGC 2440 in Puppis.

I was observing from a fairly dark (Bortle 3) site last week. Transparency was 4. If I was forced to rate it, I'd say it was at least a 4 - but all new objects get a high rating because they're either easy and so breathtakingly beautiful, or they're challenging (at least to me) and so some of the score is for just being able to persevere and find the thing. This is why I enjoy star hopping so much. 

This nebula is a tiny planetary located almost due south of M46, where there lurks another small planetary of almost identical size, shape and brightness. 2440 does not have a brilliant open cluster to draw any attention to it, so finding it with an 11 inch reflector at 96X was somewhat more of an accomplishment. In fact, I am certain I passed over it a few times before finally discerning its non-stellar nature from the foreground stars. 

• Inkswitch likes this

#109 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:11 PM

M78 from a Bortle 4 sky in rural Wisconsin.

No luck finding it under home skies with my ST120, but quite pronounced under a dark sky with my ST80.

Didn't have anything shorter than a 10mm with me, so I couldn't go higher than 40X.

A couple of faint stars in a little fuzz ball.

Rating: 2.

Edited by jcj380, 01 April 2019 - 07:51 AM.

• Inkswitch and MikeTahtib like this

#110 KidOrion

KidOrion

Vanguard

• Loc: Eugene, OR

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:49 PM

NGC 2841 in UMa. 4/5, would observe again!

• Inkswitch likes this

#111 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

Had a monster session last night from the backyard with the 16" f/7 Newtonian and the NV eyepiece. Best catch by far was IC 443 in Gemini. Score 5, bright and detailed, definitely a Top Tier nebula!

It is easy to see why this is called the Jellyfish. The eastern edge is sharply defined with tendrils that bleed away west. There is a ton of filamentary detail (reminiscent of the Eastern Veil). Nebulosity (faint) extends all the way down to Eta Geminorum (Propus). If you don't use DSC's, the proximity to Eta will make it easy to find.

Other great first-time catches last night (scores 4 or 5):

NCC 2420, open cluster, Gemini

Sh 2-274, emission nebula, Gemini

NGC 2390, planetary nebula, Gemini

NGC 4565, spiral galaxy, Coma

M 64, spiral galaxy, Coma 

NGC 4710, spiral galaxy, Coma

M 53, globular cluster, Coma

Several more targets that were interesting, but not quite deserving of "showcase" status. All told, 68 new objects logged. Sleep deprived today, but very happy smile.gif

• Inkswitch likes this

#112 Inkswitch

Inkswitch

Ranger 4

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:50 PM

Spent some time tonight with NGC 2683 a galaxy in Lyn.  With the 12" I rate it a 4.  This one will be a crowd pleaser from dark skies.

#113 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 04 April 2019 - 03:37 PM

I've observed the open cluster Stephenson 1 (the Delta Lyrae Cluster) many times in the past.  However,  last night I showed the Steph 1 to a fellow ASH member and his guest, neither of whom had seen it previously.  We were observing with the ASH 12.5" f/6.5 Cave Astrola Newtonian at the Naylor Observatory.  I was on my way home but joined them for a few final views.  After looking at M13, I noticed that Lyra was high enough to observe so I trained the venerable telescope on the sparse open cluster. 

Stephenson 1 is perhaps one of the lesser known DSOs but is a rather good target due to the contrasting colors of some of the stars.  I rate it at 3.5 out of 5.

http://www.starobser...es/stephenson1/

Dave Mitsky

• Inkswitch, Procyon and jcj380 like this

#114 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:05 AM

Stephenson 1 is perhaps one of the lesser known DSOs but is a rather good target due to the contrasting colors of some of the stars.  I rate it at 3.5 out of 5.

http://www.starobser...es/stephenson1/

You've piqued my curiosity - I'll have to take a look at that one.  

Good link too.

#115 MP173

MP173

Apollo

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:11 AM

M94 on April 2, 2019 with my ETX90 from light polluted back yard.

Hey...I saw it, which is rare for me to view galaxies with my little scope. It was "absolutely no detail but a large 10' smudge with bright center core."

Rate 2/5

Of much more interest was a group of stars one degree north and west of M94.  Not classified as an open cluster, it was a very nice group of 7 stars, all about 9th mag which reminded me of the "Flying Minnow" in Auriga.  According to iDSA, NGC 4704 is in the area.  Of course, NGC 4704 was not visible.  One of the stars in the group appears to be a double, but Stelle Doppie does not list it.  Must be optical.

rate - 3/4

ed

Edited by MP173, 05 April 2019 - 10:16 AM.

#116 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

You've piqued my curiosity - I'll have to take a look at that one.  

Good link too.

Me too. Checking my observing log, I did see it in 2011 but was primarily after Delta Lyrae, and made no mention of the colors of the cluster in my notes:

"May 30, 2011, Royce 12.5, Mingus Mountain: The Delta Lyrae field. I was unable to split Delta the companion could be one of the cluster members, I did not have PA or separation data. However, the small cluster is a pretty field with a large brightness range."

#117 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:43 PM

NGC4921, face-on spiral in Coma Berenices (mV12.6 , 2.5'x2.2') that Larry and I observed from the dark site last week surprised us both by showing a faint and mottled halo that we both thought showed some spiral nature. It has a brighter core with bar that are both easier at first but the halo becomes quite present in view.

Larry is a skilled and patient observer and good company. We were using the 16" at 210 and 350x.

This observation was fun and is a bit away from the densest center of the Coma Cluster (@250Mn LY), where face-on spirals are not the dominant type.

Edited by havasman, 07 April 2019 - 04:53 PM.

• Inkswitch, payner and Procyon like this

#118 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:06 PM

A week ago I got my first look at the Owl Nebula.  I was delighted at how easy it was to find with a Telrad, but there really wasn't much to see.  At first, I thought I was out of focus, then realized all the "other" stars were in focus. so yeah, just looked like an out of focus star.  With much averted vision/imagination, I semi-convinced myself I could see a brighter ridge across the middle, with darker portions on either side, but I wouldn't swear to it.  In my light-polluted skies, it was completely invisible without the UHC, but reasonably easy to see with it.  I look forward to seeing this from a darker site.

• Inkswitch and jcj380 like this

#119 Inkswitch

Inkswitch

Ranger 4

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:29 AM

A week ago I got my first look at the Owl Nebula.  I was delighted at how easy it was to find with a Telrad, but there really wasn't much to see.  At first, I thought I was out of focus, then realized all the "other" stars were in focus. so yeah, just looked like an out of focus star.  With much averted vision/imagination, I semi-convinced myself I could see a brighter ridge across the middle, with darker portions on either side, but I wouldn't swear to it.  In my light-polluted skies, it was completely invisible without the UHC, but reasonably easy to see with it.  I look forward to seeing this from a darker site.

I think you will be much more impressed from a darker location.  Kudos for observing nebulae from urban skies.

#120 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:19 AM

A few nights ago I observed NGC 4183 for the first time in the 20".  Despite transparency issues and being blinded by glare from boaters, etc. the galaxy was impressive.  It is a relatively large edge-on, about 6:1 elongation visually under the conditions, low to average surface brightness, not a stellar core, instead just an oval brightening to the middle with a star south of this on the trailing edge of the disk.  There is a 14/15 mag star off the northern tip and another off the southern tip.  Rating:  4/5. 

I would like to revisit this one in better conditions.  I am kind of surprised it was not on the H400 list, the H400 II list, or even the H400 III list, although it is on the H2500.

• Inkswitch, KidOrion and Procyon like this

#121 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:06 PM

From a new location with a clear southern horizon, I saw NGC 5139 (Omega Centauri) with 7x35 Nikon's.  I was most impressed by it's apparent size.  When I compared it to the view I got of M13 with the same binoculars, Omega looks almost 3 times as large.

• Inkswitch, KidOrion and Procyon like this

#122 tchandler

tchandler

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:06 AM

NGC 5466. Globular Cluster in Bootes. This mag. 9 cluster is huge, easily as large as it’s flamboyant neighbour M3. 5466 Has a central condensation class of XII, the least concentrated. It may resemble a particularly rich open cluster in smaller apertures. Seen with a Teeter STS11 at 96X it was quite beautiful. It’s a solid 3 out of 5 on my arbitrary scale, but given it’s in a very large constellation with precious few DSOs, I could be persuaded to bump it up a notch. It ranks certainly as one of the finest DSOs in the constellation. 

About 2-3 dozen stars were resolved with that characteristic Caribbean blue-green coloured stars. The colour is not likely all that pronounced but the memory of it certainly is. In my mind, it’s opposite of M15, which shines with an almost star-like core. 5466 is a worthy target if you’re looking for “I went DSO hunting in Bootes” bragging rights. Who wouldn’t want that?

Edited by tchandler, 10 May 2019 - 11:10 AM.

• Dave Mitsky, Inkswitch, havasman and 1 other like this

#123 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:04 PM

There's a great image of NGC 5466 posted at http://www.jthommes....CFR20_PS1GB.jpg and information on the cluster at http://spider.seds.o...MWGC/n5466.html and https://observing.sk...y/NGC_5466.html

NGC 5466 is on the Herschel 400 list.

Dave Mitsky

• Procyon, havasman and tchandler like this

#124 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:01 AM

Seen these nice ones in the last 2 weeks, bortle 8, 11" SCT

The Eskimo Nebula (NGC 2392), or Caldwell 39 (C39) is huge for a planetary nebula, thought I was looking at a face-on Galaxy at first, great PN. 5/5

M105 & NGC 3384 Huge Eliptical Galaxies, 5/5

M94 & M106 Huge Spiral Galaxies 5/5

NGC 5005 or Caldwell 21 (C21) Irregular Galaxy 5/5

Edited by Procyon, 11 May 2019 - 06:29 PM.

#125 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:42 AM

The last dark sky window was not very productive for me due to cloudy weather. But, there were a few good first-time catches. And I'm getting very close to the end of my six year quest to screen every DSO brighter than magnitude 12 for my personal "Best DSO" list!

All observations with the 16"f/7 Zambuto from my back yard, 6 miles north of Prescott, Arizona. Yellow Zone light pollution (Bortle 5 trending Bortle 6). Eyepieces used: Leica ASPH Zoom, Mod 3C White Phosphor night vision eyepiece. Some of the larger nebula were viewed with the Mod 3C and telephoto lenses.

NGC 5466, Globular Cluster, Bootes. Apr 24, 2019, Z16, Home: Looks like a very rich open cluster. Excellent view with NV. Much fainter in the Leica.

M 102, Spiral Galaxy, Draco. Apr 24, 2019, Z16, Home: Spindle Galaxy. Looked good in both Leica and NV. The surface brightness is high enough that you don’t need maximum reduction I got good views at .7 X and prime focus and even was able to use the 1.5 Barlow to good effect. Appears to be a slight nuclear bulge, very prominent dust lane amazing!

M68, Globular Cluster, Hydra. Apr 24, 2019, Z16, Home: Too many stars too count, I quit after three dozen. Very nice view. Switching to the Leica it was a mottled and textured ball with perhaps six stars visible. Looking into the light dome of Preskett took it’s toll.

M83, Spiral Galaxy, Hydra. Apr 24, 2019, Z16, Home: Very bright and easy to see, bight core, bright glow surrounding it. I was hopeful that it would show nice arms like M 51 but in the sky glow I could not bring out any spiral details. Tried a focal, prime focus, and long pass filters to no avail. No luck in the Leica either. Need darker skies for this one.

Sharpless 2-27, Bright Nebula, Ophiuchus. May 1, 2019, Z16, Home: Zeta Ophichi Nebula. Huge sprawling complex, lots of texture. Brightest portion west of Zeta. Well framed in the 50mm Canon.

Sharpless 2-12, Bright Nebula, Scorpius. May 1, 2019, Z16, Home: Provisional score of 4. Nice bright patch of nebulosity in the Canon 135 telephoto. Probably would be perfect in the Canon 300 mm or the Takahashi Epsilon.

Sharpless 2-13, Bright Nebula, Scorpius. May 1, 2019, Z16, Home: Another provisional score due to limited telescope field of view. Very bright and easy to see spilling out of the field, appears to be involved. Lots of great contrast here may become a 5 through a wider field scope!

Sharpless 2-15, Bright Nebula, Scorpius. May 1, 2019, Z16, Home: Provisional score. This one is just too big to frame with the 16 inch Zambuto. Entire field filled with nebulosity I’m sure it will stay at least 4 when I come back with a wider field scope.

• Procyon likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics