•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

early Tasco 12TE-2 find

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pakman2

pakman2

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:11 PM

At the flea market early Sunday AM, I saw a falling apart wood box and inside was a white OTA with Tasco label on the box. The seller said to give him a buck to get it off his hands and I did. In the box were some tools and a wrench was sold so I made money. At home I researched this scope and it is an early 12TE as the wood box has no Styrofoam. The scope has wood legs and the focuser no registration number only Tasco astronomical telescope coated lens D 60mm and F 800mm Japan and a circle T. The box label is Tasco coated lens 266 power Japan. No literature was present. It has two lenses,sun filter,barlow, white 5X24 mm finder scope,erecting and diagonal prism.

From those who have rebuilt these boxes what size luan did you use 1/8 or 1/4 inch panel, the metal corner pieces are they chrome, brass plated or painted?

I am searching for the dew shield, slow motion screw piece and the wing nuts foe the case insice to hold items in place. The lense is dirty but no cracks os chips seen. Another scope to save

#2 Garyth64

Garyth64

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:51 PM

I have an early 12TE and a 12TE-2.

Here's a pic of the 12TE box:

12TE box layout 2.jpg

Here's a pic of a 12TE  234 power:

12TE open box.jpg

A 12TE was 60mm x 700mm.  It has/had no Styrofoam in the box.

A 12TE-2 was a 60mm x 800mm.  It had a larger than normal dew shield, with a removable solar aperture.

I have lots of pictures of the differences of the 3.

Do you have any pics of yours.   

Attached Thumbnails

• lens cell.jpg

• Exnihilo and walter a like this

#3 Garyth64

Garyth64

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:05 PM

Tasco Coated Lens 266 power:

12TE 2 instructions a.jpg

Anymore posting by me at this point may be confusing.  ( lol.gif  I'm getting confused)

So I will wait for some pics from you.

Stephen, the "Tasco Man", may also pay a visit.

Edited by Garyth64, 30 October 2018 - 06:10 PM.

• deepwoods1 likes this

#4 konrad

konrad

Viking 1

• Loc: South Africa Johannesburg

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:39 AM

Congrats nice find

#5 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Near DTW

Posted 02 November 2018 - 04:49 AM

My very first telescope in 1957 a Tasco 12TE. That brings up good memories. I would like to have one once again.

Jim

#6 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Apollo

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:08 AM

Nice find, congrats!

#7 jcricket

jcricket

Mariner 2

• Loc: Denver Area

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:09 AM

At the flea market early Sunday AM, I saw a falling apart wood box and inside was a white OTA with Tasco label on the box. The seller said to give him a buck to get it off his hands and I did. In the box were some tools and a wrench was sold so I made money. At home I researched this scope and it is an early 12TE as the wood box has no Styrofoam. The scope has wood legs and the focuser no registration number only Tasco astronomical telescope coated lens D 60mm and F 800mm Japan and a circle T. The box label is Tasco coated lens 266 power Japan. No literature was present. It has two lenses,sun filter,barlow, white 5X24 mm finder scope,erecting and diagonal prism.

From those who have rebuilt these boxes what size luan did you use 1/8 or 1/4 inch panel, the metal corner pieces are they chrome, brass plated or painted?

I am searching for the dew shield, slow motion screw piece and the wing nuts foe the case insice to hold items in place. The lense is dirty but no cracks os chips seen. Another scope to save

Depending on how bad the box is, I have used two part epoxy to repair it. Epoxy runs about $40 a gallon. Rather than replace the luan, saturate it with the epoxy. It is often times stronger than anything you could replace it with. Got a picture of the outside of the box? 

#8 Garyth64

Garyth64

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:56 AM

13" blue tube coulter in the Denver area $350

https://cosprings.cr...6714475551.html

(did you put this in the wrong thread?)  smile.gif

#9 jcricket

jcricket

Mariner 2

• Loc: Denver Area

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:04 PM

(did you put this in the wrong thread?)  smile.gif

oops

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics