•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Completed Clean-Up of 8-inch, f/8 on Meade Research Grade Mount

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:32 PM

A couple of months ago, I posted about three scopes I'd gotten to help me raise funds for our public observatory. We have several scopes that already fill the niches that these might, and would like to get a modern H-alpha solar scope. I finished a modest clean-up of both the 8-inch and 10-inch SCTs, and have already found a buyer for the 8-inch. The 10-inch needs collimation before I'm ready to look for a buyer (or, I hope that's what it needs: the views tonight were very mushy!)

But the 8-inch f/8 reflector is what I'd like to write about now. I'll post photos of it below. It's looking really great, I think. Though I have not done anything like the restoration work that some of you artists have, I don't think it needed much to get it in showy condition. My wife says all the shininess reminds her of her sister's 54 Chrysler.

Everything is working fine on it: the mount is balanced well, and tracks beautifully. I got stunning views of the moon a week or so ago, and saw more detail than I expected on Mars a few nights ago, even with pretty lousy seeing. The finder scope is an older one from Orion, and the guide scope is an addition I put on there; an older Meade 60mm x 700mm. It's got a plastic focuser, and is not up to the level of the rest of the set-up, but it could be easily replaced with a better one. The coatings on the primary and secondary are not perfect, but I would not replace them yet if I were keeping it.

I added a couple of plywood rings, which I painted black, to give it pseudo-rotating rings (I bought the metal rings new from Explore Scientific). It works quite well. I also replaced many of the bolts and other hardware with stainless steel, and put some chromed knobs into extra holes that were in the tube. I chose knobs that I thought looked like tiny primary mirrors (their focal length is about 25mm).

The one thing I'm not finished with is the dual axis drive I hope to get to work with the mount. I have an AccuTrack 4000 that, as far as I know, works just fine, but I have to make a cord for the Dec motor. The 6-pin plug arrived in the mail today.

I asked in my original post about these three scopes what people thought this might be worth, and I guess I'm asking again for suggestions. I don't want to fleece anyone, but I also don't want to sell it for less than I can fairly ask for it. In my original thread, one of the folks who gave a values seemed to be saying what he would hope to pay for one, and of course we'd all love to pay as little as possible. The 8-inch sold for significantly more than the 'not worth much these days' suggestion I got. No doubt I'll end up doing other research, but this one is tough, since it's not a common kit. I can find lots of sold 10-inch SCTs on eBay to get an idea of what to ask for those, but this?

Here's the first photo:

8r-1.jpg

• rolo, steve t, paul m schofield and 8 others like this

#2 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:33 PM

Another (there will be a bunch!)

8r-2.jpg

• rolo, steve t, paul m schofield and 7 others like this

#3 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:33 PM

Another one:

8r-2a.jpg

• tim53, steve t, paul m schofield and 7 others like this

#4 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:34 PM

Next:

8r-3.jpg

• steve t, paul m schofield, Marc-Andre and 4 others like this

#5 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:35 PM

Again:

8r-4.jpg

• steve t, paul m schofield, Marc-Andre and 4 others like this

#6 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:36 PM

The view from the front:

8r-5.jpg

• steve t, paul m schofield, Marc-Andre and 5 others like this

#7 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:38 PM

The primary (I added the center donut):

8r-6.jpg

• steve t, Bomber Bob, Mountaineer370 and 1 other like this

#8 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:41 PM

The back of the primary and the cell. Folks in the original thread said both are Edmunds, and I was told by the person who passed this on to me (he did not make the scope) that the tube is from Parks.

8r-7.jpg

• steve t, Mountaineer370 and shredder1656 like this

#9 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:43 PM

The Research grade mount. Apparently, the eyepiece shelf is often missing. Notice how the single counterweight is as far up as it can go. This mount came supplied with far heavier scopes.

8r-8.jpg

• Jim Curry, steve t, Marc-Andre and 3 others like this

#10 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:49 PM

Another view of the mount:

8r-9.jpg

When I do sell this, I'm almost certainly not going to be able to ship it. It's just both too bulky, and too heavy. But I like to drive, and just got a 'new' (to me) minivan.

• steve t, Marc-Andre, Geo31 and 5 others like this

#11 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:37 AM

Another view of the mount:

attachicon.gif 8r-9.jpg

When I do sell this, I'm almost certainly not going to be able to ship it. It's just both too bulky, and too heavy. But I like to drive, and just got a 'new' (to me) minivan.

I would break the door down to buy that if it was local. Nothing better than a 8" F/8 Newt. Best all arounder there is. I would throw out 700 big 1's in a beat heart.  

#12 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:05 AM

Nice restoration!!  

....$5-600? 

#13 macdonjh

macdonjh

Gemini

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

You did a nice job. I like the chrome on the mount.

#14 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:35 AM

Gorgeous restoration Paul! It all looks just wonderful. Kudos! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

#15 DS-16A

DS-16A

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:49 AM

Excellent restoration!! The mount looks exactly like my Meade DS16 mount, only mine is not as good looking! And the mirror cell is identical in design to my old, long gone 6" Edmund scope.

#16 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 01 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

Nice.. You should be standing next to the scope in a lab coat.

• GeneDiG, Jim Curry and sglamb like this

#17 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:54 PM

Good job! Love that polished aluminum.

#18 Mountaineer370

Mountaineer370

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:09 PM

Wow, it looks great.  Nice job!

#19 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:47 PM

I want that scope if you plan a trip to FL.

#20 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 01 November 2018 - 06:39 PM

The view from the front:

attachicon.gif 8r-5.jpg

beautiful scope. Congrats

#21 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:13 PM

Thanks, everyone! I was only able to get it looking this nice because of all the tips I've gotten from folks here, either through direct questions, or (much more fun) all the reading of others' threads that I've done here for years now.

And, of course, the scope and mount themselves were made well and beautiful to begin with. It was so rewarding to clean away the decades of 'use' on both, to bring back the loveliness underneath.

Chas: I'd bring the scope along if I had plans to head that way, but no such trip is in my future anytime soon (or even some time out). But thanks.

#22 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:16 PM

Find a trucker than can take it with him if he comes to FL.

#23 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:48 PM

Thanks, everyone! I was only able to get it looking this nice because of all the tips I've gotten from folks here, either through direct questions, or (much more fun) all the reading of others' threads that I've done here for years now.

And, of course, the scope and mount themselves were made well and beautiful to begin with. It was so rewarding to clean away the decades of 'use' on both, to bring back the loveliness underneath.

Chas: I'd bring the scope along if I had plans to head that way, but no such trip is in my future anytime soon (or even some time out). But thanks.

The people on this site are amazing with all the useful help they freely give to anyone that needs it.  waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

• GeneDiG, KentTolley, Augustus and 2 others like this

#24 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:57 PM

'Freely' yes, and with obvious enthusiasm, deep knowledge, and -- almost always! -- good humor. This is such a fun place to visit, and I just know that there are so many who do, whether or not we ever hear from them. You are all doing more than you might know to not only keep these great things from the past 'alive', but also helping to create the next generation of caretakers.

• DS-16A and Mountaineer370 like this

#25 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:14 PM

https://www.cratersandfreighters.com/

I have used these guys getting my Celestron 10 from a Seattle to San Diego and my Mom’s oil paintings crated and shipped as well.

They pick up, build wood crates, ship, insure, etc.  Not inexpensive but flawless service the times I have used them.

Dave

• tim53 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics