•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Completed Clean-Up of 8-inch, f/8 on Meade Research Grade Mount

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:14 AM

Shipping cost kills so many deasl on these big brutes.  I would have had that scope by now if it was local. 

#27 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:25 PM

Shipping is part of this hobby.  You got to pay if you want to play.

• jcruse64 likes this

#28 jcruse64

jcruse64

Ranger 4

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:43 PM

Shipping is part of this hobby.  You got to pay if you want to play.

Amen! Ya oughta try truck fenders, and such, lol.

#29 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:58 PM

While I agree that shipping is a big part of this or any collecting hobby, I'm not going to ship this. It just goes beyond what I'm willing to go through, both economically and regarding the safety of the thing. It would just require too much work on my part to pack all of this up such that I felt confident that it would survive the journey. But that's just me.

I finally got the AccuTrack 4000 drive controller to work with the RG mount. I did not have the proper cord, and could not find one, so I modified the controller by adding a jack on the back that allows the use of the cord I do have so that it can easily use 12vdc Dec motors. I just tested it and it works just fine, in both axes. It also comes with the auto-guider attachment, but I have not tried that. I wrote more about the A-T 4000 here.

Here it is, all set up in my messy shop:

A-T 3.jpg

Edited by PaulEK, 05 November 2018 - 05:01 PM.

• steve t and Geo31 like this

#30 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 05 November 2018 - 07:02 PM

While I agree that shipping is a big part of this or any collecting hobby, I'm not going to ship this. It just goes beyond what I'm willing to go through, both economically and regarding the safety of the thing. It would just require too much work on my part to pack all of this up such that I felt confident that it would survive the journey. But that's just me.

I finally got the AccuTrack 4000 drive controller to work with the RG mount. I did not have the proper cord, and could not find one, so I modified the controller by adding a jack on the back that allows the use of the cord I do have so that it can easily use 12vdc Dec motors. I just tested it and it works just fine, in both axes. It also comes with the auto-guider attachment, but I have not tried that. I wrote more about the A-T 4000 here.

Here it is, all set up in my messy shop:

attachicon.gif A-T 3.jpg

It would cost 500 to ship to that FL.  I don't even think UPS can break that mount. But the OTA would be taking a big chance.

#31 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Always Mr. Random at every airport...

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:10 AM

Folks,

I have cleaned up the thread a little bit as it really wandered off-topic. Kindly respect the OP and remain on topic.Thank you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics