•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice on mount and tripod for APM 100

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#76 Dougeo

Dougeo

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Apache Junction, AZ

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:53 PM

Doug,

I have found a BHP link for a PDF file of a late Bogen catalogue for tripods and supports. You might want to have a look at the catalogue, to see if you can find further information on the Bogen used tripods that might show up along your search for a suitable support for your APMs.

https://static.bhpho...eraSupports.pdf

The catalogue has some other brands and models, but there is an index at the beginning of the catalogue to help you going to the right pages.

I'll check it out, thanks!
  • StarDustBin likes this

#77 Dougeo

Dougeo

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:57 PM

"Wish B&H had similar pages of the more current gear in this format."

I found some more recent, post- '94 B&H "sourcebook" .pdf catalogs.  Not the latest products, 2000s and a bit later, though:

https://static.bhpho...m/05tripods.pdf

https://www.bhphotov...Sup_404-437.pdf

Rich

I'll take a look, thanks!
Doug

#78 Dougeo

Dougeo

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:43 AM

I wanted to thank everbody that contributed to this forum question. The information has been very informative, useful and has helped me make a decision as to which direction to go with the tripod and head.

I have decided to go with the 475 tripod and the N12 head as I feel it will work best for my application. Thanks to all the comments from around the world

Doug
  • StarDustBin likes this

#79 ricky64

ricky64

Lift Off

• Loc: Boulder

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:15 PM

Hi All;

I have my APM 100 45 ED mounted on a Oberwerk 5000 tripod head. What improvements would I note in performance if I upgraded to an N12 head?

Thanks

#80 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:13 PM

Hi All;

I have my APM 100 45 ED mounted on a Oberwerk 5000 tripod head. What improvements would I note in performance if I upgraded to an N12 head?

Thanks

Way better balance in the altitude axis, I'd expect.  I've heard the counterbalance spring in the 5000 head is a weak point with heavy loads.  Your BT likely overloads it.  N12 would allow smoother alt action because you shouldn't need to crank the tension down so tight with the better, stronger CB function.

Rich

• GamesForOne and duck2k like this

#81 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bear River, CO

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:48 PM

Way better balance in the altitude axis, I'd expect.  I've heard the counterbalance spring in the 5000 head is a weak point with heavy loads.  Your BT likely overloads it.  N12 would allow smoother alt action because you shouldn't need to crank the tension down so tight with the better, stronger CB function.

Rich

The N12 is really nice. Smooth feather touch operation with the counterbalance and panning. In the field, in the dark, the head just becomes part of the binocular. Very enjoyable to use out there. 

#82 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:09 PM

Hi All;

Thanks

I did that when I first got mine, but I knew that something stouter was needed.  I spent the extra $$$ on an Oberwerk wooden tripod (had to have the eyepiece tray too), which holds 40lbs.  I also purchased the APM fork mount.  Best setup ever!

Attached Thumbnails

• 55E31501-9D5E-43CD-854E-531E3D084EEF.jpeg

• StarDustBin likes this

#83 ricky64

ricky64

Lift Off

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:44 AM

Thanks all. BH Photo had a slightly used one for $450. It's on the way....

My 5000 seems to have some play in it. And, it also has an element of "backlash".

I hope the N12 solves this.

• outofsight likes this

#84 Dougeo

Dougeo

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:14 PM

Thanks all. BH Photo had a slightly used one for $450. It's on the way....
My 5000 seems to have some play in it. And, it also has an element of "backlash".
I hope the N12 solves this.

Ha, So that's where it went, I had it in my cart the other day and went to check out the other day and it was gone! smile.gif I hope you enjoy it I found another used one at Adorama so it's on the way as well!

When you get it let us know how you like it
  • outofsight likes this

#85 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bear River, CO

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:55 PM

You guys remember to reach zenith, if you are going to do that with the N12, you have to mount the binos backwards than what the instructions tell you to do. Just a heads up, or backwards in this case... wink.gif

• Pinac and ricky64 like this

#86 ricky64

ricky64

Lift Off

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:58 PM

Ha, So that's where it went, I had it in my cart the other day and went to check out the other day and it was gone! smile.gif I hope you enjoy it I found another used one at Adorama so it's on the way as well!

When you get it let us know how you like it

Uh Ohhhh... I did this just yesterday. I was hoping to get the one from Adorama (it was $20 less), and apparently you snagged it! I then ordered the one form BH.... it seemed to go through.

We'll see.

#87 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:22 PM

You guys are going to like those heads, very impressive pieces of equipment. 

• ricky64 likes this

#88 Dougeo

Dougeo

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:23 PM

Uh Ohhhh... I did this just yesterday. I was hoping to get the one from Adorama (it was $20 less), and apparently you snagged it! I then ordered the one form BH.... it seemed to go through.
We'll see.
[/quote]
That s odd, I checked my cart on Thursday and it was gone and I went to their website and couldn't find it..I guess it showed back up yesterday and that's when you found it,Oh well, it all worked out I Hope you enjoy it.
quote name="outofsight" post="8942448" timestamp="1541884929"]
You guys are going to like those heads, very impressive pieces of equipment.
[/quote]
Well I think I will, can't wait to try it out!

You guys remember to reach zenith, if you are going to do that with the N12, you have to mount the binos backwards than what the instructions tell you to do. Just a heads up, or backwards in this case... wink.gif
[/quote]
Gotcha, thanks for the reminder .

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics