•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay, and other vintage, classic telescope ads

• Please log in to reply
381 replies to this topic

#376 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted Yesterday, 06:56 PM

Later Orange C8. Actually looks like it could be a rare orange Super? I would bid but 300 bucks for shipping is ridiculous.

https://www.ebay.com...PkAAOSwEJZb8dTk

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#377 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Connecticut

Posted Yesterday, 07:24 PM

some ebay folks make profit from  shipping and   HANDLING   fees

so yeah   I would pass

#378 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Skylab

• Loc: Southern California

Posted Yesterday, 08:23 PM

some ebay folks make profit from  shipping and   HANDLING   fees

so yeah   I would pass

Correction: from the text of this particular listing:  "I will charge actual shipping rate from UPS depending on your location."

Problem eBay does not allow posting calculated shipping charges for more than one box. The seller states that this will ship in two boxes. One solution is to put in a flat charge for the whole country, but it could cost X amount to ship it local, and 3 X amount to ship it far. A bad solution is to put in a very high shipping charge, and after the auction is over invoice the buyer with actual shipping charges.

That is also a dumb move because 1. it's driving potential buyers away who see the high shipping cost and don't read the text. 2. eBay charges sellers a percentage based on the sale price PLUS the shipping charges. The seller will probably pay eBay and $10 or $20.

Oh, there is no good solution to this problem. Or if there is, let me know.

Edited by Littlegreenman, Yesterday, 10:53 PM.

#379 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Apollo

Posted Yesterday, 08:28 PM

You are talking about a complete scope with adjustable tripod, wedge, accessories, manuals, case and such for under $500 shipped if you were to win it at $200. Would be nice to know if it has “Special Coatings”. Shipping just the OTA and fork mount properly packed from the West coast is probably around $60 via USPS with “Special Handling”. So yes, the shipping might be pricey. It does state that they will charge actual UPS shipping. I’ve found them to be more expensive than USPS. IT also means it will probably arrive broken. I just had a small box arrive here that looked like someone stepped on it. Thankfully it was properly packed!

#380 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted Yesterday, 08:28 PM

Later Orange C8. Actually looks like it could be a rare orange Super? I would bid but 300 bucks for shipping is ridiculous.

https://www.ebay.com...PkAAOSwEJZb8dTk

That's not a Super C8.  Just a Plain Jane.

• Dartguy likes this

#381 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Apollo

Posted Yesterday, 08:37 PM

Oh, the tripod leg locks are busted. Now I would pass on it. Though if you really wanted it, I think I have the same tripod that can be a parts donor. Truth is Zane, you should just go visit the C8 at your girlfriends...... Way better time spent and cheaper, maybe.

#382 Dartguy

Dartguy

Apollo

• Loc: Louisville

Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM

That's not a Super C8.  Just a Plain Jane.

Yep,  here is the Orange Super C8, note the Byers drive, Zane.  Mine is very close in serial #: 819xxx

Orange Pair

Edited by Dartguy, Yesterday, 10:09 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics