•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

.965 Eyepieces: Who is still using them? Showcase them here!

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#76 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:48 PM

Geez Bomber Bob some of those brass eyepieces in the top picture look like they have a 1mm size lens on it!  Wonder what the eye relief on those beauties are

They're not fully operational yet -- need cleaning between elements, but these are so small, I'm in no hurry to risk losing them.

The bottom set are the ones I really use.  Well made!  Just for Jim Barnett:  These eyepieces produce pinpoint stars on a black velvet background.  Seriously, the Triple Alliance produces my Moon View of choice in the Mogey -- big disk nearly fills up the field, and with sharp features + a neon yellow rind bonus!  The Zeiss and the one left of it are my favorite DSO eyepieces.  Wonder if my new imager could capture these views... 

Edited by Bomber Bob, 08 November 2018 - 09:51 PM.

#77 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:09 PM

Eye relief= what you get after taking your eye away from a very short focal length ortho and heading in for a snack. Ear Relief= what you need after your significant other finds out what you paid for that old ortho!!

funnypost.gif rofl2.gif

• bbqediguana likes this

#78 telesonic

telesonic

Vostok 1

• Loc: SW Idaho

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:20 AM

I've got a handful of .965 stuff for use with the 80mm f15 refractor, and the little 50mm Vixen finderscope for the C8. They are mostly the older kellners, and one ortho I think. I like 'em just fine on the Towa for lunar and planetary.... pretty nice!

Haven't had that scope out 'ole scope out in a month or two, so I will remind myself to grab the "small eyepiece box" and get a few pics for you folks.

Only problem with the .96 ep's seems to be that some sets are pretty obscure or rare, so it makes it that much more difficult finding them on the used market.

#79 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:01 AM

Yep, the used market is all we have..... it took me a couple of years to build up my modest collection.....  and I guess there's not enough demand for a maker to build more  true .965's - not re-barreled 1.25's, which seem to come and go on the retail market.

#80 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:25 PM

Even the used market for 0.965" eyepieces seams to be slowing down. The good ones are getting harder to find at reasonable prices 

#81 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:59 AM

Even the used market for 0.965" eyepieces seams [sic] to be slowing down. The good ones are getting harder to find at reasonable prices 

It's only natural, that once it's become fashionable to own something that is no longer in production, the highest quality models gets snapped up by collectors first and as the late-comers try to catch up, they will drive prices upwards.

So if you're trying to assemble a collection of Zeiss orthos for your Telementor or a collection of Nikons for your 65mm Nikon, be prepared to pay more for them than for the scope..! 

Fortunately, if your goal is only to get some quality 0.965" eyepieces for that Zeiss or Nikon, the choices are almost better now than ever before, thanks to this 0.965" nosepiece adapter, that can be fitted to a lot of modern ortho and plössl eyepiece lines, as well as some others:

https://www.teleskop...M28-thread.html

It fits the entire line of Tani volcano-top orthos, from 25mm to 4mm; the Kasai flat-top orthos; the GSO plössls and Super plössls from 25mm and down (sold under a myriad names); the Sky-Watcher plössls and Super plössls; the Baader Classic orthos (except the 32mm); the 10mm GSO Superview; the Takahashi Abbe Orthos from 25mm to 4mm...

And there's probably some that I've forgotten or don't yet know about. As you can see, there's no problem getting a quality eyepiece that fits a 0.965" focuser, as long as you don't require it to be of a certain brand and vintage.

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

• tony_spina, catboat, Mike E. and 2 others like this

#82 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for the link, Thomas.  My 1980s Meade Series 2 Orthos are really just the 1.25" versions with the .965" collar attached.  IIRC, the collar fit all of my vintage Tani volcano-tops, regardless of brand; and, some Meade Research Grade eyepieces, and Celestron-branded, too.  Be careful with the latter -- seemed the threads were a hair tighter than the Tani -- could damage the eyepiece.

Meade Orthoscopic Set 01.jpg

• Astrojensen and bbqediguana like this

#83 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:03 AM

nikon 5.jpg

How about some Nikon eyepieces

• Jaimo!, Jim Curry, wfj and 7 others like this

#84 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:29 AM

How about some Nikon eyepieces

Schweet!!  Again, a class act.  My Goto set is all Huygens -- no Orthos.

#85 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:11 PM

Like Terra I have some Jena Orthos and they are reliable, like reference optics. Where I couldn’t even use high power sears optics the zeiss performed!

• Astrojensen, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#86 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:48 PM

It's only natural, that once it's become fashionable to own something that is no longer in production, the highest quality models gets snapped up by collectors first and as the late-comers try to catch up, they will drive prices upwards.

So if you're trying to assemble a collection of Zeiss orthos for your Telementor or a collection of Nikons for your 65mm Nikon, be prepared to pay more for them than for the scope..! 

Fortunately, if your goal is only to get some quality 0.965" eyepieces for that Zeiss or Nikon, the choices are almost better now than ever before, thanks to this 0.965" nosepiece adapter, that can be fitted to a lot of modern ortho and plössl eyepiece lines, as well as some others:

https://www.teleskop...M28-thread.html

It fits the entire line of Tani volcano-top orthos, from 25mm to 4mm; the Kasai flat-top orthos; the GSO plössls and Super plössls from 25mm and down (sold under a myriad names); the Sky-Watcher plössls and Super plössls; the Baader Classic orthos (except the 32mm); the 10mm GSO Superview; the Takahashi Abbe Orthos from 25mm to 4mm...

And there's probably some that I've forgotten or don't yet know about. As you can see, there's no problem getting a quality eyepiece that fits a 0.965" focuser, as long as you don't require it to be of a certain brand and vintage.

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

Thomas thanks for the link. This looks promising.  Wonder if any vendors on Ebay are selling this item

#87 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:02 PM

Here's a gimish of Celestron Kellners and Orthos, made by Vixen and Tani.  If I recall correctly the Vixen "Orthos" are actually symmetricals and not Abbes.

0.965 Celestrons - Small.jpg

(Edit:  Oops, the Kellners are twisted...  Back row: 30mm, 25mm, 18mm, 12mm Left to Right)

• Astrojensen, roscoe, steve t and 4 others like this

#88 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:04 PM

Here's the last of interesting 0.965" eyepieces I currently have...  I have my eye out for a couple more.

Zeiss H-16 and Pentax XP-24

0.965 Misc-Small.jpg

• Astrojensen, steve t, rayden68 and 3 others like this

#89 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2018 - 09:43 PM

Jaimo,

Was not aware that Celestron orthos were not Abbes.

#90 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted Yesterday, 07:12 PM

Jaimo,

Was not aware that Celestron orthos were not Abbes.

Vixen symmetrical "Orthos", not Abbes... 

Remember, Orthoscopic describes a distortion free eyepiece, the Celestron marketing team may have implied Abbes but we now recognize them as Plossls.  We have seen the same thing with the Meade Research Grade "Erfles" which are really Konigs.  I may have to take the Tani apart and see what is inside of that Ortho...  I have also heard rumors that the Meade Series II Orthos are also symmetrical, but I have not yet taken one apart, I guess ignorance is bliss.

6mm Celestron Ortho 0.96 Exposed-small.jpg

Enjoy,

Jaimo!

• sarastro and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics