•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

.965 Eyepieces: Who is still using them? Showcase them here!

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#201 Uranotopia

Uranotopia

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Germany and northwestern Kasakhstan (when on holidays)

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:45 PM

I think it is like 40°, but I will test it with an classic telescope as soon as possible.

#202 memento

memento

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 51N 7E

Posted 14 December 2020 - 05:05 PM

How is the field of view on the 40mm

I've got some of these same 40mm eyepieces. Apparent fov is around 30 deg. It is pretty small. But more than that just doesn't fit in a .965" barrel.

On the other hand, this is an eyepiece that shows the biggest total field of view that you can get with .065", and also it has the biggest exit pupil.

• tony_spina and steve t like this

#203 Jaz5833

Jaz5833

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 14 December 2020 - 06:21 PM

All of my CZJ 0.965” eyepieces have been re-homed, as have the color-coded Sears 0.965” e.p.s. In my effort to downsize things I have been trimming the 0.965 inchers. I’m down to a complete set of block-letter brass Unitrons, a full set of circle T Kellners and orthos, a set of Royal Astro Huygens, and a couple of Vixen Orthos.

If you're still, "trimming", I'd be interested in the clippings. :^)

#204 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 15 December 2020 - 01:32 PM

I mentioned this eyepiece at the beginning of this thread more than two years ago, without comment. I’d like to mention it again because it really is worthy of comment! As I said then it’s “an 8mm eyepiece worth looking for.” It’s my only 0.965” 8mm eyepiece and it is every bit as sharp as my 1.25” Carton 8mm Plossl.

Nothing is stamped or labeled on it. Nada, maker, focal length, etc. but it measures out to be an 8mm. The body is delrin with a rubber eyeshield that has micro-focusing via diopter adjust. It is very light weight due to the construction materials. The camouflage pattern and diopter adjustment leads me to think that they were made for a spotting scope. The glass and coatings are very nice and the images are very sharp to the edge. I believe the design is a König, but I am not certain. The field is wider and sharper than a typical Kellner.

It was given to me five or six years ago by a member here who said basically ‘try this, you’ll be glad you did. It’s very good.’ I believe Bill Vorce of Telescope Warehouse used to sell them. I’m pretty certain it wasn’t a Surplus Shed offering. I wonder if I got an exceptional sample of if they are all this good? Anyone else here have one or had experience with one? What say you?

And if you run across one, grab it. If it’s as good as mine, you’ll be glad you did!

Attached Thumbnails

• 818D1832-CC7A-406F-9D1F-A9D28DAEF92D.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 15 December 2020 - 01:36 PM.

• tony_spina, steve t, jjack's and 4 others like this

#205 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 16 December 2020 - 07:22 PM

I'm always tempted by 8mms as they're uncommon, even saw 8mm tak eyepiece..(or advertised so). I wish for 8mm ortho but my wallet can't handle a zeiss.

• Astrojensen, steve t, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#206 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 16 December 2020 - 11:37 PM

I'm still looking for a Tak 9mm MC Ortho. Have put ads on CN and Astromart but no luck yet

#207 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 17 December 2020 - 04:49 AM

I'm still looking for a Tak 9mm MC Ortho. Have put ads on CN and Astromart but no luck yet

Not actually the Tak 9mm,

but still the lovely Tak 7mm can be found at Intercon-Spacetec

ex-demo: https://www.intercon...ser-24-5mm.html

new: https://www.intercon...ser-24-5mm.html

Best,

JG

• Marcus Roman likes this

#208 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 17 December 2020 - 11:41 AM

Not actually the Tak 9mm,

but still the lovely Tak 7mm can be found at Intercon-Spacetec

ex-demo: https://www.intercon...ser-24-5mm.html

new: https://www.intercon...ser-24-5mm.html

Best,

JG

Yes the 7mm is a great eyepiece.   I have it.

• Marcus Roman, Bowlerhat and j.gardavsky like this

#209 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:25 AM

Most of my 0.965” collection is gone now and I’m down to less than two dozen keepers, mainly about a dozen Unitrons, a smaller set of RAO Huygenians, and a small number of other odds and ends. I use them infrequently; mainly when I want to remember what the views were like way back when or the rare occasion that I set up for solar projection. I now only have two telescopes whose native format was 0.965” and both can now use 1.25” eyepieces and usually do.

Edited by Terra Nova, 19 September 2021 - 09:37 AM.

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#210 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 September 2021 - 02:50 AM

Yes the 7mm is a great eyepiece.   I have it.

It works well, and the rubber guard is pretty neat. The image is clear. Even the ordinary 7mm or. is pretty good.

0.965" Eyepieces

• steve t, mdowns, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#211 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 20 September 2021 - 05:15 AM

It works well, and the rubber guard is pretty neat. The image is clear. Even the ordinary 7mm or. is pretty good.

A very nice collection of the old famous orthos!

And you also have a Huy-Mittenzwey.

Envy, envy,

JG

• Rick-T137 and Bowlerhat like this

#212 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:46 PM

A very nice collection of the old famous orthos!

And you also have a Huy-Mittenzwey.

Envy, envy,

JG

What I like about old eyepieces is the diverse kind of designs, especially the not so common ones like the 6mm bertele asahi. Still not sure what is the NR from mizar.. 

• j.gardavsky likes this

#213 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:39 AM

What I like about old eyepieces is the diverse kind of designs, especially the not so common ones like the 6mm bertele asahi. Still not sure what is the NR from mizar.. 

The B6 Asahi eyepiece is not a Bertele design.  According to a member (Hara) on Galakuma's web site:

"When the B6 at hand is disassembled, the lens configuration is two groups, and it is a type called reverse Kellner with two lenses on the objective side and one lens on the eye side, or König. The configuration is the same as the TP (Triplane) that you sometimes see. B is characterized by the fact that the eye lens is an old one that is fixed by caulking.

Isn't the reason why the configuration is reversed instead of K is to earn eye points? I am watching.

As for TP, eyepieces with similar appearance are on sale under a considerable number of brands such as Takahashi, 3B, Dowell, Mizar, etc., so it must have been supplied by Tani Kogaku and Nozaki Koden. (Surely 3B brand items should have been in stock at CAT)

I don't remember the meaning of B. .. .. It may have been explained in the test article of the Astronomical Guide."

I have taken my B6 apart and the above description is accurate.  So I'd call it a triplane design.  In any case, it's a good eyepiece.

Charlie

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#214 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:07 AM

The B6 Asahi eyepiece is not a Bertele design.  According to a member (Hara) on Galakuma's web site:

"When the B6 at hand is disassembled, the lens configuration is two groups, and it is a type called reverse Kellner with two lenses on the objective side and one lens on the eye side, or König. The configuration is the same as the TP (Triplane) that you sometimes see. B is characterized by the fact that the eye lens is an old one that is fixed by caulking.

Isn't the reason why the configuration is reversed instead of K is to earn eye points? I am watching.

As for TP, eyepieces with similar appearance are on sale under a considerable number of brands such as Takahashi, 3B, Dowell, Mizar, etc., so it must have been supplied by Tani Kogaku and Nozaki Koden. (Surely 3B brand items should have been in stock at CAT)

I don't remember the meaning of B. .. .. It may have been explained in the test article of the Astronomical Guide."

I have taken my B6 apart and the above description is accurate.  So I'd call it a triplane design.  In any case, it's a good eyepiece.

Charlie

Interesting stuff. I’ve never come across one (B), much less looked through one. What benefit(s) have you observed compared to the regular Kellners? That may not be a fair comparison on second thought, as I’ve not seen a 6mm 0.965” Kellner either. Seems like most 6mm eyepieces in the small size category are either H., H.M., or O designs.

• CharlieB and Defenderslideguitar like this

#215 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Apollo

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:06 PM

I got one of those cheap 7mm .965 eyepieces from Sheldon Faworski over at Astromart. I was shocked at how much better it was than the 7.5 Antares .965 I had, and for less than half the price.

• mdowns and Bomber Bob like this

#216 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:56 PM

Interesting stuff. I’ve never come across one (B), much less looked through one. What benefit(s) have you observed compared to the regular Kellners? That may not be a fair comparison on second thought, as I’ve not seen a 6mm 0.965” Kellner either. Seems like most 6mm eyepieces in the small size category are either H., H.M., or O designs.

Taking into account my nearly 70 yr old eyes & floaters, I didn't see much difference between the B6mm and my 6mm  Unitron ortho.  Maybe a bit sharper at the edges with the Unitron.  With a shorter f/r scope, any differences might emerge, but not at f10-f20.

Charlie

• steve t, Terra Nova and PawPaw like this

#217 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:59 PM

I also use a set of Sheldon's "Faworski orthos" on .965.  The barrel of a .965 Halloween Plossl fits perfectly on these and they are very fine eyepieces.

Charlie

• steve t, mdowns and Bomber Bob like this

#218 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 23 September 2021 - 09:42 AM

I have been spending the last 2 months using almost exclusively my .965 Goto eypieces mainly on double stars but also on planetary and lunar observations.  What I have found consistently is the MH eyepieces are very good on dim objects as many doubles present.  The Orthos are a tad better on planetary and lunar and also do well on doubles.  The MH, with less glass between the object and the eye, are very good at showing dim objects.    The lens are optically aligned by crimping the lens in the barrels and this, I believe, consistently assures the lens are  optically aligned.  There is one exception I found in the Goto eyepieces and that is their H-7 and H-16 versions offered with the telepac and ST model school telescopes.  They have the eye lens crimped but the field lens is held in by a threaded holder.   I found noted in Seizo Goto's autobiography that in 1933 their eyepieces were manufactured by Mr. Taiichi Suzuki of Toyo Optical.  I cannot find any documents stating who made their eyepieces from the 1950's forward but there is a resemblance to Nippon/kogaku's (Nikon).  They are very good glass.

Don

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210923_090406a.jpg
  • 20210923_085857a.jpg

• tony_spina, astro140, steve t and 12 others like this

#219 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 27 November 2021 - 03:52 PM

I was going to post this in the finds thread but think this is a better fit.

I like using .965" EPs in my smaller scopes so am always looking for nice ones to fill the gaps.

I recently purchased this somewhat uncommon NOS Celestron 16mm Kellner from Pauli (Starswizard) on ebay.

He hasn't had any listed in about a year so I thought my previous procrastination had killed any chance of getting one.

C16-1.jpg

C16-2.jpg

It's construction looks like my 18, 25, and 30mm Celestron Kelleners

I believe only the 25mm has a mark or sticker with Circle T

C16-3.jpg

No mark other than Japan

C16-4.jpg

Does the cap mean it's Vixen or just Vixen supplied?

I once read that it came with some later black C90s but was not offered as an accessory, which is hard to understand the reasoning.

It doesn't appear in any literature I could find up thru 1983

Anyway, I used it the other night in the Manon 60/700mm and the Pleiades fit nicely in the field of view.

Edited by Kasmos, 28 November 2021 - 02:28 PM.

• CharlieB, steve t, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#220 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 November 2021 - 04:50 AM

Asko (Asahi Seiko)  精光 究所 eyepieces

My ASKOs. The 6mm is really close to my 7mm tak, but tak gives more neutral colours (asko's warmer)

• astro140, steve t, mdowns and 4 others like this

#221 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:16 AM

My ASKOs. The 6mm is really close to my 7mm tak, but tak gives more neutral colours (asko's warmer)

I've been casually on the look-out for ASKO's on ZEN.  They don't show up often.  Prices usually a bit less than Tak, but not by much...

• steve t likes this

#222 barbie

barbie

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:28 AM

No pictures to post but I use my Carl Zeiss Jena 16mm,10mm and 6mm in my 80mm f15 refractor on nghts of above average sky conditions. They never disappoint and are razor sharp on the moon & planets and show flat fields!!

Edited by barbie, 28 November 2021 - 11:34 AM.

• steve t, PawPaw, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#223 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 November 2021 - 03:10 PM

I've been casually on the look-out for ASKO's on ZEN.  They don't show up often.  Prices usually a bit less than Tak, but not by much...

there was a second batch popped up, but I didn't bid. kind of regret that. Also recently, a 8mm unitron konig. Didn't bid either.

I don't mind the price, but shipping hurts..

#224 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 28 November 2021 - 04:45 PM

Some 0.965" emerge on the eBay in Germany,

https://picclick.de/...q=Zeiss okulare

https://picclick.de/...leskop-Zubehör/

https://picclick.de/...ubehör/Okulare/

Best,

JG

• Bomber Bob likes this

#225 Stopforths

Stopforths

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:46 PM

I'm using .965 takahashi MC orthos 7 9 and 18mm and a hi ortho 4mm 

also .965 vixen 5mm ortho

the vixen is prone to very slight ghosting on bright objects not so the MC taks.  All very sharp eyepieces.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics