•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

hard decision?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:24 PM

For us nostalgia lovers, what would you do in this situation.

I am picking these scopes just as an example, if you had this situation, you probably have different scopes, but the dilemna would be the same.

For example, say you grew up in the 50's and 60's, and you looked at untiron or maybe a celestron scope that you grew up watching the ads, hoping every Christmas you would get one, but never did. Then one day you has enough money to get the scope of your choice, say a 4 inch unitron. You had this scope for many years and loved it to death. Then one day, you bought a modern scope, smaller and easier to use, say a small SCT ( 5 or 6 inch), and the views were better, if just because of the bigger eyepieces. But whatever reason, you could see better image in the newer Chinese scope. Then for some reason, either financial difficulties, or an upset wife, or what ever reason you had to get rid of one of the scopes. Would the nostalgia factor rule over the better view , or would you get rid of the scope you loved for years for a slightly better image. I have not run into this situation yet, but I could one day, and I do not know what I would do, but the chances are I would keep the old scope I love dearly, and think of how many hundred times it is better than what Galileo had.

#2 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:26 PM

As much as I love my classics, I would end of keeping the scope with the best optics. 

• wfj, spaceoddity, ShaulaB and 2 others like this

#3 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:27 PM

Keep both, remarry. 

Edit:  ok, I'll add this. Which scope would you regret not having later?  Plus, how common are these items to re-acquire?

Edited by B l a k S t a r, 02 November 2018 - 05:30 PM.

• Exnihilo, terraclarke, gene 4181 and 2 others like this

#4 otocycle

otocycle

Viking 1

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:35 PM

Keep the old scope....you can always get another C5 or C6 later...there are plenty of them.

• Exnihilo and terraclarke like this

#5 jimr2

jimr2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sparks, NV

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:40 PM

Yes, agree w/ otocycle and others...keep the old scope as they say, and you can always get another C5, C6, or whatever later, along w/ a new wife....

#6 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:42 PM

Well, Billy... since you're asking... I would send my wife into the kitchen to make supper... right after bringing me the newspaper, my slippers and pipe. Then. I'd light up, stink up the house, and browse the Questar catalog. Then I'd call my Broker, and ask him if I could splurge on a Q-7 with deluxe mount. Regardless of the answer, I'd order it anyway. Then my wife would come in, all smiles... ask me if The Will is still in the safe... and offer me a nice glass of elderberry wine. Uh... I'd better hit [Post] now, feeling strangely woozy... tom... eeehh.............................

Attached Thumbnails

• 033 rosebud.jpg

• deepwoods1, terraclarke, Tenacious and 2 others like this

#7 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Viking 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:42 PM

I would and have gone for the happy medium - I kept the old scope that is nostalgic to me and also provides the best views (my Meade 2080). 

But if we are talking about my first scope (a Sears 40mm reflector), then no - I would go for the modern scope.

Edited by bbqediguana, 02 November 2018 - 05:58 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

#8 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:48 PM

How long does nostalgia last? How much do you get out of “functional” observing?

I stopped collecting years ago. Nostalgia faded. Kept one good one as a lasting token.

If I need to part with it, can. Because I have the memory established. Kind of like in the “Last Unicorn “ Mommy Fortuna and the immortal creatures “I held them”

What would hurt more would be missing the sky objects. If you’re in a place where for you they’re pretty much the same through either, go with nostalgia. If not, capture the nostalgia best you can taking your time, then kiss it goodbye and never look back at the scope, but frequently look back at what you captured of it. You’ve immortalized it.

Never be trapped by possessions, for they can be replaced. People and their feelings/aspirations are different.

• Vesper818 likes this

#9 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:57 PM

I guess it depends on the scope.  All things being equal I would keep the newer bigger scope

#10 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:05 PM

Best optics.

Telescopes should be primarily for looking through, not at.

• wfj, spaceoddity, bremms and 2 others like this

#11 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:24 PM

A telescope is a tool. You keep the one that is best for the job and make some new memories with it.

• wfj, Bean614 and jeffreym like this

#12 Gil V

Gil V

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:49 PM

“Better view” is subjective. Can’t answer.

If I had to choose, it would be the scope with the better optics. If it’s a tie, I’d pick the larger aperture scope.

Edited by Gil V, 02 November 2018 - 06:50 PM.

#13 Migwan

Migwan

Viking 1

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:16 PM

Keep one and hide the other at a friends house.  One that live on the way to the dark site.  jd 

• grif 678 likes this

#14 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:32 PM

Keep the one that does both, look good and performwaytogo.gif

#15 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:49 PM

Best optics.

Telescopes should be primarily for looking through, not at.

I second that. My 6" F10 Jaegers on my homebuilt mount and the Tinsley 8" cass. The Tinsley has proper baffling and reworked optics. The 6" Jaegers next to an Ap155 gave up a little due to the CA, but it was very close otherwise. The Tinsley is very well engineered. I'm working on a servo motor drive so it tracks properly.

Attached Thumbnails

• ru - 1.jpg

• L. Regira, rolo, wfj and 3 others like this

#16 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:53 PM

I would make sure that the ones that you like the most and  it isn't  performing like you want, isn't a simple fix.

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 02 November 2018 - 10:17 PM.

• Vesper818, bremms and Augustus like this

#17 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:06 PM

“Better view” is subjective.

Agreed.  But in this case, it's YOUR subjective decision.  That is the only one that matters.

[edit]  Optical quality can be determined objectively, BUT in this case it's up to the user to decide.  I'd choose the one that puts up the images that appear best to ME.

Edited by Geo31, 02 November 2018 - 10:08 PM.

#18 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:40 AM

Matched Classic Refractors can be repurposed as Wheelbarrow Handles for your Big Quasi-Classic Dobsonian. Best of both worlds!  Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 035 handles.jpg

• wfj, starman876, Exnihilo and 6 others like this

#19 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:03 AM

Best optics like others have said.   It is the views through the eyepiece that keep you coming back for more.   

• bremms likes this

#20 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:51 AM

Matched Classic Refractors can be repurposed as Wheelbarrow Handles for your Big Quasi-Classic Dobsonian. Best of both worlds!  Tom

I'm afraid to ask how heavy that scope is.

• TOMDEY likes this

#21 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:25 PM

I'm afraid of hauling it back down my south ridge - probably run over and flatten me like happens to Wiley Coyote so many times ...

#22 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:34 PM

Hi, Augustus! It is HEAVY! But was mounted in a dome. And, even though heavy, it aimed around smoothly... and the tube and dome gave superb contrast.  Tom

#23 gralydolphin

gralydolphin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

I loved the first scope that I purchased but my new one is so much better. So my first scope sat in the box that it came in and I used it less and less. Than my sister-in-law came for a visit and I gave it to her. She loves astronomy and that little scope is a god send to her. She just loves it. I was not sure giving it way was the right thing to do at the time, but as it turns out it was a great idea. I have found a good home for the small scope and the my sister-in-law will have hundreds of hours of use out of it. A win win situation.

• Vesper818, Geo31, jcruse64 and 1 other like this

#24 Tenacious

Tenacious

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 03 November 2018 - 05:21 PM

For us nostalgia lovers, what would you do in this situation.

I am picking these scopes just as an example, if you had this situation, you probably have different scopes, but the dilemna would be the same.

For example, say you grew up in the 50's and 60's, and you looked at untiron or maybe a celestron scope that you grew up watching the ads, hoping every Christmas you would get one, but never did. Then one day you has enough money to get the scope of your choice, say a 4 inch unitron. You had this scope for many years and loved it to death. Then one day, you bought a modern scope, smaller and easier to use, say a small SCT ( 5 or 6 inch), and the views were better, if just because of the bigger eyepieces. But whatever reason, you could see better image in the newer Chinese scope. Then for some reason, either financial difficulties, or an upset wife, or what ever reason you had to get rid of one of the scopes. Would the nostalgia factor rule over the better view , or would you get rid of the scope you loved for years for a slightly better image. I have not run into this situation yet, but I could one day, and I do not know what I would do, but the chances are I would keep the old scope I love dearly, and think of how many hundred times it is better than what Galileo had.

I think your premise is flawed, sort of like a golfer hoping to get the most from the game with just one universal golf club.   I enjoy astronomy more, and have learned a great deal more from using a diversity of apertures, mounts, and light paths.  My 5 scopes are modest and my family is tolerant.  OTOH, everyone is in this for different reasons.

Edited by Tenacious, 03 November 2018 - 05:28 PM.

#25 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:36 PM

I think your premise is flawed, sort of like a golfer hoping to get the most from the game with just one universal golf club.   I enjoy astronomy more, and have learned a great deal more from using a diversity of apertures, mounts, and light paths.  My 5 scopes are modest and my family is tolerant.  OTOH, everyone is in this for different reasons.

Good point! I guess it's something we all are subliminally aware of, but almost wish it weren't true. Like wishing for that impossible astro scope that does it all. Giant aperture zoom compact cheap cutting-edge classic valuable prefocused prealigned apo bino enviable rare ruby MARC imaging GoTo Tracking handheld string truss folding night vision travel scope... that will appear under the Christmas Tree in a coupla months.

Instead, we get Tac Glasses, gargoyle socks, and a lump of coal... sigh.  Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 041 gargoyle socks.jpg

• Vesper818, Tenacious and jcruse64 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics