•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3mm Explore Scientific 52 Series vs Tak 4mm TOE

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Show Me State

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:52 PM

Aha! Seems my guess was spot on. I'm glad you got the problem solved.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

You were 100 % right. I was just going to send it back and ask for a refund thinking perhaps it's was just in the cheap design of a $59 eyepiece, but some of the reviews seemed to suggest otherwise which kinda confused me. Agena contacted  ES in my  behalf who in turn called me and offered a replacement with free return of the old eyepiece. I knew there was a chance that the replacement eyepiece would be no better than the first one, that it could possibly just be in the design of an inexpensive eyepiece but turns out the reviews saying that it had a flat field were correct. I'm really happy with mine and would suggest anyone having a 3mm ES 52 degree eyepiece that displays anything looking flat only in the central 60% area have it checked out.

Edited by Moondust, 11 April 2019 - 04:19 PM.

• Astrojensen likes this

#27 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:38 PM

I remember some posting about 14 ES 82s with very curved FOVs a while back. I've got one and it's nice and flat and after comparing it  in a 5X Powermate with  a 7 XW and 7 T6 in a 2.5X one in my WO ZS110 for lunar-planetary and doubles  it's very close performance wise. David 

Edited by dscarpa, 11 April 2019 - 03:55 PM.

• Astrojensen likes this

#28 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:37 PM

I bought one of the bad 3mms used. Not happy.

#29 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Show Me State

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:28 AM

I would still call ES in Arkansas and I bet they will replace it since I have already made them aware of the problem. Your eyepiece should have never been put up for sale to begin with. The rep at ES told me only the 100 degree eyepieces are double checked for QC. Sadly the rest are left for the consumer to decide whether they pass muster. Tons of bad eyepieces are out there where people who bought them don't realize they have a bad eyepiece.

I had the ES 3mm out last night with my 92mm Stowaway on the moon. It worked beautifully but although the view is sharp across the entire field, craters elongate strongly towards the edges. This still is a huge improvement from my first sample 3mm which turned everything into a blurry mess at the outer 25% edge. If we want something better we will just have to spend the money on a Takahashi TOE or Tele-vue Delite although I have not tested either of those so can't say if they are any better. I did have a Vixen 3.4 HR (returned) which also turned out to be defective so it's not only ES with QC issues.  Perhaps the OP of this thread who has both the ES and TOE can elaborate on edge performance. At 5 to 6 times the price of the ES I would certainly hope it would be much better in the more expensive eyepiece. For the $56 I paid for the 3mm ES I am very satisfied, but sometime in the future I may replace it with something more up to the standards of the Stowaway.

Edited by Moondust, 15 April 2019 - 11:30 AM.

#30 Ryan555_1

Ryan555_1

Messenger

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:32 AM

Yes, call ES. I bought their dialectric diagonal used and they replaced it for free when I found it was showing some aberrations. ES's customer service is really fantastic. 

#31 Rock22

Rock22

Ranger 4

• Loc: Diamond Bar, California

Posted 27 April 2019 - 01:41 PM

You were 100 % right. I was just going to send it back and ask for a refund thinking perhaps it's was just in the cheap design of a $59 eyepiece, but some of the reviews seemed to suggest otherwise which kinda confused me. Agena contacted ES in my behalf who in turn called me and offered a replacement with free return of the old eyepiece. I knew there was a chance that the replacement eyepiece would be no better than the first one, that it could possibly just be in the design of an inexpensive eyepiece but turns out the reviews saying that it had a flat field were correct. I'm really happy with mine and would suggest anyone having a 3mm ES 52 degree eyepiece that displays anything looking flat only in the central 60% area have it checked out.

I contacted ES by e-mail about the distortion in my 3mm 52-deg and requested an exchange. The distortion begins at around 40% from the edge in all of my refractors.

My take from their response is that they think the 3mm 52-deg’s edge distortion in my sample is not as big a problem as I think it is. They didn’t accept my exchange request or deny one in their response. I then told them I would rather return the eyepiece and they offered to repair it. I’m glad for that, as long as they can see for themselves and confirm what I am seeing or give me an explanation that would convince me to keep the eyepiece.

I’ve sent it back and am waiting for their evaluation. It seems to me that ES is taking this issue seriously, but being cautious and standing by the quality of this eyepiece. The other three eyepieces I have of the 52-deg series showed no distortion so far away from the edge, and all four are a huge step up in workmanship and eye relief compared to the Orion Sirius Plossls I used to own. My Celestron 17mm Plossl on the other hand had distortion from about 30% of the edge. At 3mm FL, I’d be ok with distortion from about 20% of the edge.

I think the 3mm is an eyepiece worth getting, but if the edge distortion is too great, whether or not to keep it depends on how tolerant you are about it, or if the on-axis view is good enough for you. It just isn’t for me.

Edited by Rock22, 27 April 2019 - 01:42 PM.

• Moondust likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics