•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do you know anything about this focal reducer?

SCT
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tacun

tacun

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:10 PM

Hello to all the astrofriends. I'm Carlos from Argentina

Look at this link

http://www.astro-vid...ll-systems.html

Do you know any of these? They used them?

They look very interesting, they work for SC Meade or Celestron  sct.png  and they provide 1.8 of focal!

1476294.jpg?424

I will appreciate any information.

Thank you! waytogo.gif 

Edited by tacun, 04 November 2018 - 06:22 PM.

#2 Camcon101

Camcon101

Camera Concepts & Telescope Solutions

• Vendors
  • Loc: New York

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:14 PM

Be sure to read the special notes at the bottom of their page.

WARNING! THESE FOCAL REDUCERS ARE DESIGNED STRICTLY FOR THE LNTECH CAMERAS, MODEL LN300 AND FOR OUR COOLED T-MOUNT CAMERAS. THEY WILL NOT WORK WITH ANY OTHER CAMERA WITHOUT MODIFICATION. THESE REDUCERS EMPLOY THE MOST AGGRESSIVE, HIGHEST REDUCTION FACTOR THAT IS POSSIBLE GIVEN THE TELESCOPE CHARACTERISTICS, CCD SIZE AND REDUCER TO SENSOR CORRECT SPACING. IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO MODIFY THE FOCAL REDUCERS TO WORK WITH OTHER 1/3" CCD CAMERAS. CONTACT US FOR MORE DETAILS. WE WILL NEED TO MEASURE YOUR CAMERA MOUNT-FLANGE TO SENSOR DISTANCE TO ANALYZE IF A SPACER COULD BE MODIFIED TO ACCOMODATE THE REDUCER REQUIREMENTS.

• Michael Covington, bobzeq25 and tacun like this

#3 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:55 PM

Right.  Powerful focal reducers invariably have to be placed very close to the sensor -- that's how focal reducers work.  It is common for strong ones to work only with a specific model of camera.

#4 tacun

tacun

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:23 PM

Hello, thanks for the correction!

I would also like to know, does anyone of you use them?

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:30 AM

Ok, Let's not get too excited about this, there was no need to shout or warn people, these are simple focal reducers, not explosives. grin.gif

It's a focal reducer in two different mounting options. The one on the left has the 2" nose piece, the other has an SCT threaded ring. There is nothing particularly special about them but they are a clever packaging of multiple off the shelf focal reducers and adapters (it's a compound optical design with two reducers stacked together) with a little custom work. 

http://www.astro-vid...l-reducers.html This website is interesting for historical purposes but I would highly recommend that you not attempt to do any business with the folks behind it. If you are curious just search on Astro-video systems in the EAA forum (get yourself a coffee and get comfortable before reading, there's been lots of discussion about the company and individual behind it). 

There's nothing special about the LN300 camera originally used with this reducer, it's just a nice sensitive security camera with CS-mount spacing on the front end. You could use ANY 1/3" sensor CS-mount camera with these focal reducers (there are lots of analog video cameras with that sensor and mounting). That also means the popular Revolution series, Mallincam Micro, and even many of the popular AS130 and IMX 224 sensor based CMOS USB cameras. Just be a bit careful about the camera's specification, for example some of the IMX224 cameras in many of the ToupTek versions (from Mallincam, and RisingCam) are C-mount, not CS-mount and this means the sensors are 5mm farther away which will likely show some optical problems when used at f1.8. If I had one of these reducers and some of these more popular 1/3" sensor cameras with the C-mount spacing (which I do) I would look into removing that 5mm from the focal reducer's body.

Edited by mclewis1, 05 November 2018 - 11:34 AM.

• Don W and Sarkikos like this

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:41 AM

Oh, I should add ... there were not many of these reducers released into the wild but those that did get sold seemed to work (at least from the limited comments posted). It would be very interesting to see these reducers tested on some of the more popular cameras configurations available today (say a mid sized SCT with an ASI 224 camera using SharpCap software).

#7 Nuttn

Nuttn

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:50 PM

Yes, no need to shout, and get excited about "explosives" wink.gif  Getting excited is good....

I have a new RI-2 and a new C-11 EdgeHD, so the question of reducers has been interesting.

My old SCT reducers are also flatteners, but the new scope needs no flattening.

Celestron's advice to use their fine .7 reducer is just right, but expensive. Probably necessary with my Sony APS-C sensor, but I have found that as aberrations  increase towards the edge of the field, a really tiny sensor in the middle of the focal plane seems to show only little or no trouble. I'm exploring what is possible with the RI-2 with my old Celestron 6.3 reducer and also with the Revolution Funstar (not really a reducer, but results in a f2 system). Both work surprisingly well, despite friends' dire predictions of unusable images. Sometimes small is good!

Next is to try the Touptek microscope camera, more pixels but still a very small sensor.

I learn by trying and experiment....and recommend the fun!

• mclewis1 likes this

#8 Camcon101

Camcon101

Camera Concepts & Telescope Solutions

• Vendors
  • Loc: New York

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:21 AM

Just a clarification on this. We did not post caps intending to "shout" . We simply copy and pasted the warning at the bottom of the cited webpage which happens to be posted in caps. All in the interest of sharing info!

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#9 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:37 AM

Jeff, Understood ... it was more of a swipe at the original vendor and text on his website, where historically there had been lots of over the top hyperbole used.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics