•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What's in the boxes

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#76 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:47 PM

Beautiful baby Takahashi.  Congrats. 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#77 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:53 PM

Thanks!  There will be a Takahashi Tsunami shoot-out at The Swamp thread, but this time, both scopes will stay...

(I really don't foresee any losers.)

Man!  It's a heavy little thing!  Gotta be at least twice as heavy as its older sibling, Swift 838 F14...

• terraclarke, rcwolpert, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#78 Esso2112

Esso2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:55 PM

Yes. The FC-50 is a giant Takahashi that got hit be a shrinking ray. Same build quality as its larger siblings. I love that it has a collimatable lens cell, too. 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#79 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 13 November 2018 - 07:43 PM

Congratulations JW! You’re going to love it! Now you’re going to have to get the cute little Tak 5x25 finder (the 6x30 won’t fit). Tak finders are optically everything you would expect from Takahashi. According to Ed Ting, it the same dew shield, focuser, and body/tube (just a couple inches shorter) as the FC60.

• Bomber Bob and G-Tower like this

#80 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted 13 November 2018 - 08:49 PM

A beautiful TAK.  You got to love the way these look. One of the reasons I keep getting them.

• Bomber Bob, Esso2112 and G-Tower like this

#81 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:55 PM

Well... if I really like this Truly Tiny Tak... I'll use it on my APM 152 ED:  Attach the small mount plate from the EM-1S to 2 hinged rings, and put this assembly on the focuser end.  Massive as these Tak components are, I doubt that the Pentax J-60 will be needed to balance the Big ED.

Already thinking ahead to the side-by-side:  I made a tube clamp for the 838, and the FC came with one, so attach each scope to the end of one 18" dovetail, bolt that to the Polaris, and the comparisons will be a snap!  

• rcwolpert and G-Tower like this

#82 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Connecticut

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:24 PM

attachicon.gif mt 160.jpg

attachicon.gif mt 1601.jpg

The first picture shows how fat this scope is compared to a normal 6" newt.

second picture shows how beefy the focuser is.

I believe these scopes were meant for imaging.

Very nice      the fat tak   little big man

• G-Tower likes this

#83 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:28 PM

A beautiful TAK.  You got to love the way these look. One of the reasons I keep getting them.

I guess if getting a Tak  was a surgical procedure  it would be called     an   Adataktome

• Vesper818 and G-Tower like this

#84 G-Tower

G-Tower

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: GA

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:44 PM

Takectomy as in the removal of your $$$

Edited by G-Tower, 13 November 2018 - 10:45 PM.

• rolo and Defenderslideguitar like this

#85 G-Tower

G-Tower

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:55 PM

Yes. The FC-50 is a giant Takahashi that got hit be a shrinking ray. Same build quality as its larger siblings. I love that it has a collimatable lens cell, too. 

Still have one and I still love it. It's the little scope that could!

• rolo, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#86 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:05 PM

Gotta love the Taks  all sizes    

Having said that  The smaller Taks are superb but   for me  I think I go big and go small later

One thing I learned is that  I need to not be distracted by the 75 to 80mm scopes I cant pass on         or i'll never sock away enough for the 128 or 120

• rolo, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#87 G-Tower

G-Tower

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:32 AM

You can have as much mula tied up in many little scopes as in one larger scope. At this point I'd rather have an FS152 than eight 50mm, twelve 60mm, five 76mm, seven 80mm, two 4" refractors, ten projects in the garage, thirty drawers full of parts going back to the 1960's and parking the cars outside cause the garage is full of old scopes. If the government had a cash for clunker telescopes program I'd be there with a truck load.

• rolo, starman876, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#88 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:47 AM

You can have as much mula tied up in many little scopes as in one larger scope. At this point I'd rather have an FS152 than eight 50mm, twelve 60mm, five 76mm, seven 80mm, two 4" refractors, ten projects in the garage, thirty drawers full of parts going back to the 1960's and parking the cars outside cause the garage is full of old scopes. If the government had a cash for clunker telescopes program I'd be there with a truck load.

You my friend are such a buzz kill :)

• rolo likes this

#89 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:12 AM

You my friend are such a buzz kill smile.gif

I was thinking the same thinglol.gif

#90 G-Tower

G-Tower

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:44 AM

Sorry guys

#91 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:20 PM

You can have as much mula tied up in many little scopes as in one larger scope.

True.  This FC-50 OTA (no mount!) cost close to the Goto KIT (scope + mount + accessories) -- which seems nutz.  But for me it's a cheap(er) way to test that legendary TAK quality without APO overlap -- 50, 80, 152.

The Tinsley is on its way out, the Uni 142 will be gone by Monday.  Got a couple more Classics to go, plus some odds & ends, to relieve all the scope overhead.  And then there's all the Accessories...  It would take an 8-hour day to clean all the eyepieces, diagonals, etc. -- and that's after clearing out all my old volcano-tops!

• terraclarke and G-Tower like this

#92 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

• Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:28 PM

Takectomy as in the removal of your $$$

Takeyourcashi :-D

#93 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

• Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:38 PM

Well... if I really like this Truly Tiny Tak... I'll use it on my APM 152 ED:  Attach the small mount plate from the EM-1S to 2 hinged rings, and put this assembly on the focuser end.  Massive as these Tak components are, I doubt that the Pentax J-60 will be needed to balance the Big ED.

Already thinking ahead to the side-by-side:  I made a tube clamp for the 838, and the FC came with one, so attach each scope to the end of one 18" dovetail, bolt that to the Polaris, and the comparisons will be a snap!  

If your APM 152 ED is built in the classic German CNC tube like my TMB 152, then your solution might be simple...  I stole the idea from someone else who owned a TMB at the time and wanted to add a reflex finder along with the optical finder (in his case, it was a Starbeam).  I liked the idea so much I adapted it to my own TMBs, and I have two setups like this (one short, one tall).

What he did was remove the stock CNC finder ring, and add a small aluminum plate of maybe 1/8" thickness which allowed the CNC ring to be moved to one side, and cut a groove for a Starbeam to be added to the other side, and clear anodized it... and hey presto!

Wish I was home and could pull it out for the visual, but I think you get the idea... if your APM has that same kind of construction (and the early ones did, if I'm not mostaken) as the early CNC APOs, then it's a cakewalk.  You can mount the FC50 on there, using the clamshell (hard to orthogonalize -- to coin a word) or traditional rings (and you'd better use screws with Delrin tips to avoid scratching the paint).  I use Tak 50mm finders on my TMBs and the paint is notoriously brittle... I had insert tips made for mine that are T shaped and insert into the hex head side of the original thumbscrews, replacing the straight nylon tips that were originally installed, and they work MUCH better both to protect the paint AND stabilize the finder.

FWIW. YMMV.

Tony

#94 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted Yesterday, 08:49 PM

I get the feeling that you think you are unusual in this?  

I can't get through some rooms. 

But know that there are some folks who have to have storage property off-site from their residence to hold their accumulation.  A warehouse.  There's a cable-TV show in this, I'm telling you.  

• TOM KIEHL and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics