•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone heard from Desitter

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:16 PM

Just curious and hope he has just taken a break.  Desitter was contributing frequently up until a few months ago.  I just expected him to pop up again soon, but he hasn't.  Anyone know if he is ok?

I hope it is appropriate to ask.  

• rcwolpert, walter a, Tenacious and 3 others like this

#2 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:31 PM

I have no clue but he has gone to ground here and just as abruptly re-surfaced several times in the past.

As long as we are trying to locate missing friends where is Perseus_m45 (Mike H. from the Pittsburgh area)? He was a very good CN friend who was having some health problems and then abruptly went missing in the summer of 2016. My various attemps to renew contact have proved fruitless.

Edited by terraclarke, 05 November 2018 - 09:00 PM.

• TOM KIEHL, Ben Bajorek and shredder1656 like this

#3 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:44 PM

I sent him a pm. No response yet. 

• Ben Bajorek and shredder1656 like this

#4 DMala

DMala

Apollo

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:34 PM

I was wondering the same, thanks for bringing this up.
  • shredder1656 likes this

#5 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:08 PM

I hope he is OK

• Jon Isaacs, Mountaineer370 and shredder1656 like this

#6 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:10 PM

Maybe he got tired of the forums BS.

• Mr Magoo and shredder1656 like this

#7 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:18 PM

Big Scopes?  

• starman876, terraclarke, bremms and 2 others like this

#8 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:11 AM

Maybe he got tired of the forums BS.

I don't really see any BS on here. Just one or two that can't seem to understand man.

• Exnihilo, terraclarke, Gil V and 1 other like this

#9 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:43 AM

I know a few memebers that have left cause of it. Good productive memebers with lots of valuable knowledge not just gum flapping nonsense.

Attached Thumbnails

• 31r76w8zdSL.jpg

Edited by rolo, 07 November 2018 - 07:57 AM.

• Gil V and shredder1656 like this

#10 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:03 AM

Gum flapping is a specialty of some.  Not useful posts just filler that waste everyone's time.  Very little useful contributions. Mostly useless comments.

• wrnchhead and shredder1656 like this

#11 Steve Haverl

Steve Haverl

Sputnik

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:16 AM

Someone with nearly 18000 posts is talking about ‘gum flapping’ and ‘useless comments’.....!  ****.

• Mr Magoo likes this

#12 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:00 AM

Don't be too quick to blame other members when someone leaves.  Not everyone has the disposition to remain a part of an online community year after year.  Sometimes questions get answered and the need for the forum disappears for a year or three, until the next question needing group input comes along.

Those who stick around long-term are those who find a social aspect to the forum- they just like to talk about the subject a lot.  I think most of us fall under that description.   But everyone is different.  Some don't like to see casual banter on the forums, to them it must be cut-and-dried, serious discussion, and anything outside of that is considered troll behavior.  

And of course time marches on for all of us.  None of us are getting any younger and it seems that the new young Classic scope enthusiasts just aren't there in numbers sufficient to replace us.  My good friend of 45 years, Ziggy, departed our ranks recently and just two weeks ago, I lost another longtime friend in our local club.  He always dressed as Santa at the club Christmas parties, even after he was confined to a wheelchair in his later years.   Some of our members have lost spouses, and that can sometimes take the spark out of life for those partners left behind.    There will be a couple of empty chairs at this year's party, sadly. 

Failing health is a major reason why many members leave.  They just don't have the energy or motivation for it anymore, in the face of serious health issues and even terminal conditions.  It would be nice if they let us know, but they are not obligated to tell us that their time is short. 

Instead of pointing fingers, let's try and remember that it takes all kinds in this world, and it's a big table here at Cloudy Nights with room for everyone who tries to obey the few simple rules we have.  If someone leaves voluntarily, remember that- it was voluntary.   If their skin is too thin to stick around an online forum, it's not our fault, and they probably weren't enjoying themselves.  We can't ask them to stay if they don't find anything here to keep them around, no matter how interesting we may find them personally.

• tony_spina, Jon Isaacs, Paul Hyndman and 28 others like this

#13 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:03 AM

Someone with nearly 18000 posts is talking about ‘gum flapping’ and ‘useless comments’.....!  ****.

and someone with 23 posts has no clue what goes on in here.  

• peleuba likes this

#14 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:10 AM

Don't be too quick to blame other members when someone leaves.  Not everyone has the disposition to remain a part of an online community year after year.  Sometimes questions get answered and the need for the forum disappears for a year or three, until the next question needing group input comes along.

Those who stick around long-term are those who find a social aspect to the forum- they just like to talk about the subject a lot.  I think most of us fall under that description.   But everyone is different.  Some don't like to see casual banter on the forums, to them it must be cut-and-dried, serious discussion, and anything outside of that is considered troll behavior.  

And of course time marches on for all of us.  None of us are getting any younger and it seems that the new young Classic scope enthusiasts just aren't there in numbers sufficient to replace us.  My good friend of 45 years, Ziggy, departed our ranks recently and just two weeks ago, I lost another longtime friend in our local club.  He always dressed as Santa at the club Christmas parties, even after he was confined to a wheelchair in his later years.   Some of our members have lost spouses, and that can sometimes take the spark out of life for those partners left behind.    There will be a couple of empty chairs at this year's party, sadly. 

Failing health is a major reason why many members leave.  They just don't have the energy or motivation for it anymore, in the face of serious health issues and even terminal conditions.  It would be nice if they let us know, but they are not obligated to tell us that their time is short. 

Instead of pointing fingers, let's try and remember that it takes all kinds in this world, and it's a big table here at Cloudy Nights with room for everyone who tries to obey the few simple rules we have.  If someone leaves voluntarily, remember that- it was voluntary.   If their skin is too thin to stick around an online forum, it's not our fault, and they probably weren't enjoying themselves.  We can't ask them to stay if they don't find anything here to keep them around, no matter how interesting we may find them personally.

Those are all good points Chuck.  We really do not know all the reasons why people leave.  However, some have stated that the useless comments some make is what turned them off.   And like you said, some are all business when it comes to posting here and want only serious discussion.   It does appear that we have a mix of different attitudes and I feel that is healthy.  It reflects what we find in the real world.   well, that is unless you are in the military and things are pretty much cut and dry there.    I hope that we continue to have a healthy mix of people with varied opinions.  That is what makes us grow as a community.  We need to be able to accept the bad with the good.   However, I know all to well how hard it is to accept the bad along with the good.  

• Defenderslideguitar, wrnchhead and shredder1656 like this

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:35 AM

Chuck:

An excellent post, lots of good stuff.  

When my mother died in 2008, the family spent a week in Walla Walla, Washington at my brother's home.  She was buried alongside my dad in nearby Pendleton, Oregon.  

I don't really quite know what happened but I just didn't feel like posting or reading Cloudy Nights.  I was away for about a year and a half.  Someone posted a "Where is Jon Isaacs" thread, someone sent me an Email and somehow it all felt better and I returned.  

I do think when members are civil, "play nice" it is a good thing.  

I hope deSitter is OK.. I have his address. If anyone thought it was worth while, I could send him a card asking him how he is.  I did send him a PM.. 

Jon

• tim53, Paul Morow, KentTolley and 5 others like this

#16 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:26 AM

Let's just hope we hear from DeSitter.  waytogo.gif

• Jon Isaacs, wfj, Chuck Hards and 2 others like this

#17 DMala

DMala

Apollo

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:36 PM

My impression based on facts is that some of his most recent posts suggested that he was selling some of his collection due to family issues. Maybe he has other more important priorities right now.

For both sides: please do not continue also in this thread the ongoing subjective/personal/judgemental/ chatter that has taken over a lot of posts in many other threads. I do not know who started but many are contributing.
  • ftwskies, jcruse64 and shredder1656 like this

#18 DMala

DMala

Apollo

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:29 PM

(...)

I hope deSitter is OK.. I have his address. If anyone thought it was worth while, I could send him a card asking him how he is.  I did send him a PM.. 

Jon

A card wishing him well from all of us would be great IMO, if you can. Thx

Edited by DMala, 07 November 2018 - 02:29 PM.

#19 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:44 PM

I know a few memebers that have left cause of it. Good productive memebers with lots of valuable knowledge not just gum flapping nonsense.

I don't let BS bother me jess.  I love a good fight if it is per the rules dwight.  I sure loved SAA back in the day.  That was more fun than dunking marsh mallows down a 10" F/5 Cave.

Edited by CHASLX200, 07 November 2018 - 06:44 PM.

#20 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:47 PM

Chuck is right bucks.  Even when i get burned out and sell it all i always stick around to shoot the keyboard with ya guys. I feel another burn out coming, but will always love typing about scopes like a dope.

• punk35, bremms, Ben Bajorek and 3 others like this

#21 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:04 PM

...I was going to just sit back & watch this thread to see if Desitter resurfaced: actually I was the one to suggest to Scott that he might like to start this thread & although I'd had a slight "ahem" disagreement with this fella at one stage I think that was left in the park - might even have won him over with our Mars' images subsequently as he was an avid Mars watcher! wink.gif

Chuck Hards hit the nail on the head from many perspectives...I had to put my scope renovations into hibernation because they're not my main interest & I mainly come to this forum to lurk, only making the very occasional comments these days &/or the odd "Like" with my main activity in the S.S. imaging forum - but even there I've tried to cut back on the time spent posting or responding to others' posts...sometimes feeling like forum activity "takes over" & that I need to "get a life!" with my other interests. lol.gif

But I think there can be a big social value in forum involvement for a lot of folks, I think I said something along those lines to Scott also & when someone "disappears" there's nothing wrong with trying to find out if everything's okay. (I also told him that Desitter had mentioned something about poor health here not that long ago)

One regret is that I haven't posted a thread about someone who suddenly dropped right off the radar well over a year ago - Glen Jolly aka "Desertrat" who was active in the imaging forum as well as other CN forums (or "fora" for all the oldies! wink.gif ) including those to do with optics & optical technicals.....he may very well have simply disconnected from all of these activities even though it seemed odd...but there's certainly nothing wrong in my books with displaying a little bit of personal humanity or interest in people on the internet. waytogo.gif

• jcruse64, Defenderslideguitar and shredder1656 like this

#22 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:43 PM

You got to love all you guys.  No matter what people say or do when they stop doing it you are all concerned.  That shows a fellowship that is appreciated.  Shows in our own way we have bonded.  

Edited by starman876, 07 November 2018 - 09:44 PM.

• DreamWeaver, terraclarke, jcruse64 and 3 others like this

#23 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Third from the Sun

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:07 AM

Maybe we need to start a wall and post pictures of the missing on it? ;)

#24 Kaikul

Kaikul

Viking 1

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:22 AM

I must say I can't help but admire the camaraderie here. I hope Desitter turns up sooner than later, and realize that he is missed. Ditto for Desertrat. 

• ftwskies and jcruse64 like this

#25 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:56 PM

I must say I can't help but admire the camaraderie here. I hope Desitter turns up sooner than later, and realize that he is missed. Ditto for Desertrat. 

It is like a brotherhood of astronomers which are good friends.  And like any good friend we are not afraid to tell anyone when we think they are full of it lol.gif

• terraclarke, Defenderslideguitar and wrnchhead like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics