•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Clouds and Rains - Please Go Away!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:20 PM

This is the 3rd day of the Deep South Star Gaze, 36th edition.  We have had more than our fair share of clouds and rain.  At least some that are here had the opportunity to see the potential of our new site on Tuesday night (see photo showing the anti-crepuscular ray, looking to the east on Tuesday evening near sunset).  The forecast for Friday and Saturday does give us some glimmer of hope......we hope.  At least we have plenty of door prizes to distribute among fewer attendees.

Keeping our fingers crossed.

Barry Simon

Attached Thumbnails

• Crepuscular Rays on 11-6-18 at White Horse.jpg

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Apollo

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:35 PM

Maybe you should give out some of these as door prizes:

https://www.cloudyni...ally-bad-skies/

#3 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:44 PM

Eh...…...maybe not.  I think we will pass

Perhaps someone can help develop this concept further, but how about a -

"Flash Mob Star Party"

The concept would work something like this -

1) You introduce and sell the concept to your venue, the basic concept is -

Last minute star party at the venue location if the forecast is good and locked in with little chance of being downgraded to poor, and is only viable if the venue has a vacancy (or preferably the whole venue is vacant) - note that the venue is told that the weather is going to be good and we may have a group coming up to occupy a bunkhouse understanding that there will be a fee.  Having a small group for a few days is better than no group at all.  If there is no availability, at least we tried.

2) Potential attendees are on an email list and are contacted about coming at perhaps short notice, maybe no more than 2 or 3 days.  Ability to come may be dictated by space allotted to us.  At our current venue for the Deep South Star Gaze we would likely not have the ability to attract more than 15 to 20 people for a short notice "Flash Mob Star, but, we would pretty much be guaranteed good skies.  Well worth the price of a nominal fee.

Why do this vs just continuing to use ourr club observatory as we have done for the last 23 years?  At our observatory and field about 60 miles north of New Orleans we typically can reach mag. 6.3 skies at the zenith and we have restricting horizons.  At the site for the Deep South Star Gaze/Flash Mob Star Parties we can hit magnitude 6.6 skies with much, much better horizons and with some nice bunk houses.  This alternate site is about another 30 miles away.  We may also have some food service available to us on site in the form of  burgers, dogs, fries, etc. at very reasonable prices.

We will see how this works, at the very least it will give more area astronomers the opportunity to see this site under nice conditions.

Barry Simon

• Dynan likes this

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Apollo

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:54 AM

I am SO sympathetic. For the last three months' New Moon I have secured an overnight permit at Okhissa Lake, MS, about 80 miles north of NOLA. EVERY TIME to be shut down by clouds! The first and only night I was there the skies were WONDERFUL, only to be shut down by ground fog that night and T-storms the next day.

I've offered the place here, but no one accepted. I have a permit for 4 astronomers. The Lake is closed at sundown, and opens at sunrise, limiting light pollution in a Bortles 4 sky. I got overnight permits, but alas and alack! I have been unable to take advantage.

Your POP UP / FLASH MOB star parties idea is starting to sound really good!

Clear Skies!!! (If there actually IS such a thing.)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics