•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pretty decent deal on a 20"

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:48 PM

If I were looking for a 20" Dob (already have one) I would probably snatch this guys arm off given he is only about 1.5 hrs from me..... (I dont know him)

https://astromart.co...-and-argo-navis

• sn1987a likes this

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

If I were within reasonable driving distance, I'd already be on my way......

#3 epee

epee

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:07 PM

Save me setting up an Astromart account; what is he asking?
  • nickcodybarrett likes this

#4 brentknight

brentknight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:14 PM

#5 epee

epee

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:42 PM

That’s darn strong for what’s included; about 1/3 retail. Not sure if I’m up for it though.

Edited by epee, 08 November 2018 - 05:47 PM.

• Bob S. likes this

#6 starzonesteve

starzonesteve

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:45 PM

That’s darn strong for what’s included.

Looks that way to me, too. Opportunity for someone...

• Bob S. likes this

#7 brentknight

brentknight

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:42 PM

All of 8’ to the eyepiece. Too big for me...

#8 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:00 PM

If I were looking for a 20" Dob (already have one) I would probably snatch this guys arm off given he is only about 1.5 hrs from me..... (I dont know him)

https://astromart.co...-and-argo-navis

I would jump also but it is not fitting in the Vette.

• dagadget likes this

#9 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:06 PM

Wow. A 20" costs plenty. But the extra aperture shows more.

#10 dgoldb

dgoldb

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:16 PM

Value of these beasts is really not that high, to be frank.  There is a reason they are so heavily discounted.  Very small market of buyers who want such large scopes anymore.  Those with $$ for big scopes will likely spring for newer, faster, more compact and refined designs.  So you really have a limited market to sell too. 

• Jon Isaacs, IVM and Bonco2 like this

#11 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:46 PM

Save me setting up an Astromart account; what is he asking?

$5k for the entire lot......There is an easy $1500 just in premium EP's and filters. Not counting a nicely setup scope accessory wise as well....

• Don W likes this

#12 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:53 PM

Value of these beasts is really not that high, to be frank.  There is a reason they are so heavily discounted.  Very small market of buyers who want such large scopes anymore.  Those with $$ for big scopes will likely spring for newer, faster, more compact and refined designs.  So you really have a limited market to sell too. 

That same scope is still $9k new without the long list of accessories and upgrades......and servocat costs and is worth the same regardless of what scope it is on......$5k is a steal considering whats included (to be Frank lol)

• Bob S. likes this

#13 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:50 AM

True, most of us want ladder less thin mirrors now. But if someone wants aperture on a budget, and already has a vehicle for this, then this might be cheap aperture. I looked through a 20" obscession and climbed a ladder to do so. The owner only had a pick up truck. No trailer. And set it all up himself. So it is possible. As long as people are on a budget, there will be f5 scopes for sale. Although, the invention of the whiffle tree and padded grinding table does make thin mirrors very doable.

#14 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:53 AM

I think I recall 20" f3.3 was $13k for the scope alone, though brand new. I could be off. Some people prefer f5 for. The smaller CO. Actually the scope I climbed beside was f4.5. Spectacular view of M51.

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:39 AM

That same scope is still $9k new without the long list of accessories and upgrades......and servocat costs and is worth the same regardless of what scope it is on......$5k is a steal considering whats included (to be Frank lol)

They might be 9k new but ai doubt anyone is buying one. Used, I know of 20 inch Obsessions that sold for 2k.  I think the market is saturated with older long focal length scopes, as dgold said it's a very small market.

This scope requires a serious ladder and with modern sub F/4 Dibs available, these older scopes are much less desirable than they were 10-15 years ago when they were the only game in town.

I think its a reasonable deal because of the included accessories but not a "steal".

Jon

• Allan Wade likes this

#16 brentknight

brentknight

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:26 AM

When I checked Obsessions website for the eyepiece heigt, I noticed they are not even selling the F5 any more.  Only a 20" F4.  Even if I lived in the sticks and could leave it setup, I'd be hesitant.  I love my observing chair!

• stargazer193857 likes this

#17 epee

epee

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:59 AM

An older gentleman that lives in dark(er) sky country, south of here, sold one of these, several years back. He said he'd come to the conclusion that sitting atop a ladder, alone, in the middle of a field, in the dark was not something a 70+ year-old man should be doing.

• Jon Isaacs, tubehead999 and Tyson M like this

#18 starcanoe

starcanoe

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Gulf Coast, Panhandle of Florida

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:39 PM

The older I get the taller a ladder I am going to use.....that way I either get to heaven eventually or gain enough extra speed going the other direction that Satan doesn't get peeved for me being late...

• big_scot_nanny likes this

#19 RobertMaples

RobertMaples

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:10 PM

...This scope requires a serious ladder...

Obsession lists the eyepiece height at zenith as 8'.  I'm about 5'10" and wouldn't need a "serious" ladder, I'd only need to go up about three steps.  I really wish I was in the market for such a scope, I would definitely consider that one (I currently have two kids in college and probably have to replace a car soon, so no $5k scope for me right now).

#20 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:32 PM

They might be 9k new but ai doubt anyone is buying one. Used, I know of 20 inch Obsessions that sold for 2k.  I think the market is saturated with older long focal length scopes, as dgold said it's a very small market.

This scope requires a serious ladder and with modern sub F/4 Dibs available, these older scopes are much less desirable than they were 10-15 years ago when they were the only game in town.

I think its a reasonable deal because of the included accessories but not a "steal".

Jon

I dont know that I would call a 4 step ladder serious :)

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:21 PM

I dont know that I would call a 4 step ladder serious smile.gif

The ladder for my 22 inch F/4.4 is about three and a half steps.  It's a serious ladder if you fall off.   

If one is going to observe seriously with such a scope, it does require a serious ladder,  a step ladder is not appropriate for observing alone. .  They require one hand on the ladder at all times.  I used a step ladder for about a year with my 25 inch F/5 but I realized that it was a poor solution..  A scope that cost several thousand dollars and a $100 ladder is like a $4000 refractor and a crappy chair .  

5910770-Obsession and Jon at Jewel Valley.jpg

A serious ladder:

Obsession with Rolling Ladder CN.jpg

It's safer, more comfortable and more effective . No need to climb up and down to swap eyepieces. 

An older gentleman that lives in dark(er) sky country, south of here, sold one of these, several years back. He said he'd come to the conclusion that sitting atop a ladder, alone, in the middle of a field, in the dark was not something a 70+ year-old man should be doing.

I sold my 25 inch F/5 Obsession for exactly that reason.  I was 68 and was standing on the top platform and looking out across the countryside . I was a stunning view but I had a moment where i realized that I had no business observing alone , 50 miles from the nearest hospital.  And that was a serious ladder. 

Last year i put in about 80 nights with my 22 inch . That wouldn't have happened without a solid ladder.  

Starsplitter plus ladder.jpg

Jon

#22 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:38 PM

I prefer to use a ladder I am very unlikely to fall off of over a tall step ladder with my 20" f/5.....Its a $150 4 step (total) with wide steps little giant jumbo step with non-skid rubber on the steps, has a handle/lean bar/eyepiece holder hip high above the top step and the top is extra wide.....I guess one could call it a "serious" ladder in a sense but certainly not height/size wise unlike the tall step ladder you showed......

#23 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:05 PM

I think a ladder is better if it is wider at the base and narrower at the top, so less risk of your weight being over the feet if there is a slant.

Looking at big scopes, one must remember there is a reason people buy them.

#24 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:13 PM

I sold my 18" Obsession Classic with Servocat 5 years ago for 6K.

#25 Redbetter

Redbetter

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:10 AM

20" f/5 only requires a three step ladder.  My platform ladder is very stable, with tray, and I prefer it over sitting.  There is some contortion involved using the finders though, so it is not for everyone. 

The seller would probably do better to sell eyepieces and filters separately and drop the price on the scope accordingly.  Big scopes are local items so they are at the mercy of trends and local demand. 

There is $4,500 tied up in the drive and DSC/computer system from the original purchase.   I guess the discount is great if you want all that...  Otherwise one is looking at a $7k scope (original, based on what mine cost with Galaxy optics in the same time frame) selling for $5k with the accessories listed above.  I removed the DSC's from mine (an improvement), so going backward with all the extra impedimenta is not necessarily a plus unless it all works well for the eventual purchaser. 

• Don W and starcanoe like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics