•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M42 to Nikon F adapter that allows for focus at infinity?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Keudn

Keudn

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:32 PM

Hey guys, so I have a Super Takumar 200mm F/4 lens. I bought an adapter for it, however when I took it outside I realized I can't quite focus to infinity with it. After some research, I think I have found an answer here. davidwozhere explains how you can't have a flange on the adapter, it has to be just a ring. Now this is for a Pentax K mount, but my question is, does anyone know where I can find a similar adapter that will work for my D5300? I currently have this adapter but with the flange I can't quite achieve focus at infinity.

Edited by Keudn, 08 November 2018 - 04:32 PM.

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Soyuz

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:49 PM

Check out the table from this link about lens mounts to find which cameras you can use this lens with.

#3 photoracer18

photoracer18

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:06 PM

As pointed out if the lens to media distance of the lens is less than the distance for the camera's normal lens you can't get infinity focus unless you have some optics in the adapter to make it longer. In your case the Pentax lens (doesn't matter if its K or M42 as they are the same) wants to be mounted about 1mm inside of the Nikon cameras lens mount. Problem is extra lenses will degrade the lens performance some. This is the reason a lot more Canon cameras are used for this as its registration distance of 44mm makes it shorter than all the other Big 4 lens mounts so lensless adapters are available for every major brand of SLR/DSLR lens. And why all these lenses have no problem on mirrorless cameras because they have even shorter registration distances.

And why you ask did everyone use different distances? Because they did not want you to use another brand of lens so they made it hard.

Edited by photoracer18, 08 November 2018 - 05:08 PM.

• ccs_hello and jerobe like this

#4 Keudn

Keudn

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:31 PM

As pointed out if the lens to media distance of the lens is less than the distance for the camera's normal lens you can't get infinity focus unless you have some optics in the adapter to make it longer. In your case the Pentax lens (doesn't matter if its K or M42 as they are the same) wants to be mounted about 1mm inside of the Nikon cameras lens mount. Problem is extra lenses will degrade the lens performance some. This is the reason a lot more Canon cameras are used for this as its registration distance of 44mm makes it shorter than all the other Big 4 lens mounts so lensless adapters are available for every major brand of SLR/DSLR lens. And why all these lenses have no problem on mirrorless cameras because they have even shorter registration distances.

And why you ask did everyone use different distances? Because they did not want you to use another brand of lens so they made it hard.

So does that mean I need to use a lens adapter that has additional optics with my Nikon? If so, does anyone know what adapter has the best glass? Are there focal length extenders/reducers that I can use with this and my current lens adapter to achieve focus without having to rely on crappy adapters with bad glass?

Edited by Keudn, 08 November 2018 - 08:04 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics