•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using SGPro with PHD2

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BobinBend

BobinBend

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:15 PM

I'm attempting to use SGPro with PHD2 for the first time and having some difficulties while SGPro attempts to automatically startup PHD2 correctly. When I start a Sequence Run in SGPro it appears to start up PHD2 but when it begins looping and searching for a star to guide it picks a dim star which always results in a "lost star" error, resulting in a SGPro suspension. On the other hand if I manually selected the best (highest SNR star) then PHD2 is able to successfully guide on that star and I can complete my SGPro Sequence captures.

How can I get PHD2 to pick the highest SNR star in the loop display to use for guiding? Is there a sensitivity setting in PHD2 that I need to adjust?

Thanks for any help,

Bob

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:22 PM

Post this question here. Are are you using the current release of PHD Guide 2?

https://groups.googl...pen-phd-guiding

https://openphdguidi...ment-snapshots/

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:14 AM

I'm attempting to use SGPro with PHD2 for the first time and having some difficulties while SGPro attempts to automatically startup PHD2 correctly. When I start a Sequence Run in SGPro it appears to start up PHD2 but when it begins looping and searching for a star to guide it picks a dim star which always results in a "lost star" error, resulting in a SGPro suspension. On the other hand if I manually selected the best (highest SNR star) then PHD2 is able to successfully guide on that star and I can complete my SGPro Sequence captures.

How can I get PHD2 to pick the highest SNR star in the loop display to use for guiding? Is there a sensitivity setting in PHD2 that I need to adjust?

Thanks for any help,

Bob

PhD2 picks a high SNR star that is *not* saturated and that presents a sharp peak. That may be dimmer than what you would pick manually, but may guide better. It would probably be time consuming for it to evaluate every star in its display, as in some cases there could be thousands (try imaging the Trifid Nebula...)

It should not result in "lost star" unless clouds float by. 

However, nobody prevents you from overruling it. 

#4 BobinBend

BobinBend

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:12 PM

PhD2 picks a high SNR star that is *not* saturated and that presents a sharp peak. That may be dimmer than what you would pick manually, but may guide better. It would probably be time consuming for it to evaluate every star in its display, as in some cases there could be thousands (try imaging the Trifid Nebula...)

It should not result in "lost star" unless clouds float by. 

However, nobody prevents you from overruling it. 

Stelios,

I didn't realize that PHD2 didn't necessarily select the star with the highest SNR. Is there some settings in PHD2 that can be adjusted to change the selection algorithm? Not that it would be better but it would be interesting to play around with it.

With the weather we've had up here over the last week I haven't been able to get a completely clear night so clouds may have played a part in my "lost star" results.

Thanks for your help,

Bob 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics