•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Quick Look at Image Noise

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:37 PM

I thought I would put together a quick visual comparison of what different forms of noise look like in a single frame of a deep sky image. My hope here is to give beginner and intermediate imagers who have never looked at a "single-row" or "single-column" noise plot of an image an understanding of what it does look like, and what it means when we say things like "swamp the read noise". These plots were produced with data acquired with an ASI183MM Pro.

Image Noise 2.jpg

(Full Size - Low Compression)

There are three plots here, sourced from data that has been calibrated (so no amp glow or hot pixels are represented here), sampled every pixel horizontally across the image (see image inlay for sample row):

DARK RED = Read Noise

DARK GRAY = Dark & Read Noise

BLUE = Photon Shot & Dark & Read Noise

The dark red plot represents the minimum noise of the camera, read noise. This is the baseline read noise, and represents the MINIMUM noise any part of the image can have. You cannot have less noise than read noise in any given sub-exposure no matter what you do. This is an interesting fact when it comes to doing narrow band imaging, where at a dark site, you may have some areas of the frame that have only read noise, even if you manage to expose for an hour or two per sub-exposure. That is actually just fine...what that means is, you are getting the maximum possible contrast! wink.gif Read Noise == Minimum Possible Noise.

* Note that the vertical median location of the plots here is representative of the total "offset" in the signal. For read noise, that offset represents the bias offset.

The dark gray plot represents the read noise combined with the dark current shot noise. The two are added in quadrature, so mathematically this means SQRT(Ndark^2 + Nread^2). Even with exposures of 5-10 minutes, the total dark signal is very tiny, and represents only a small increase in total noise. In fact, read noise is still the dominant noise term here, indicating that dark current, which with this particular camera is only about 0.002e-/s, so even with a 10 minute exposure, total dark current shot noise is actually less than read noise even at unity gain.

* Note that the offset is only marginally higher than read noise (dark red) in the dark noise (dark gray) plot. That represents the bias offset + about 1 electron of dark signal offset.

The blue plot represents the read and dark noise combined with the photon shot noise of the image signal. All three terms are again added in quadrature, so mathematically this means SQRT(Ssky + Sobj + Ndark^2 + Nread^2). With this particular exposure, read noise was swamped by the photon shot noise by about 5-7x. That is fairly middle ground, and an amount by which I think many beginners and intermediate imagers could achieve. It can be done with 5 to 10 minute exposures, depending on the gain used. You should note a few things about the blue plot. First, it has a noticable increase in even the minimum offset compared to the read and dark noise offsets. That is the combination of bias offset plus skyfog offset (the minimum average offset at the edges of the blue plot) plus the object signal offset (the higher average offsets within the middle areas of the blue plot). I have plotted a 54-period moving average, which is 1/100th the total number of samples, which better represents the actual signal level (offset).

* Note how the blue plot has significantly higher variation (noise) than the other two plots. This larger variation includes both the photon shot noise, as well as the read and dark noise. The read and dark noise are there, but they overall represent a tiny fraction of the unexpected deviations from the mean compared to the photon shot noise. DESPITE the noise here, though, you can actually fairly easily follow the changing height of the plot, and correlate that height with the brightness of the row marked in the inlaid image (from which the plot was sampled). Where the image gets brighter, the blue plot gets higher, and where the image gets darker, the blue plot gets lower.

You can also pick out some of the stars...there are quite a few, and they are usually represented by the large outlier spikes in the blue plot. Some of the stars are barely larger than one standard deviation of the noise in the blue plot, and are harder to pick out from the noise...their SNR is low. Other stars are much brighter than the standard deviation o the noise in the blue plot, and are easy to pick out from the noise...their SNR is high. The average SNR of the entire plot is high enough that you can pick out the relative brightness differences...it is easy to differentiate a bright area from a dark area in the plot, and also easy enough to pick out moderately brighter areas from medium brightness areas. The SNR is good...not ideal, it is a single sub-exposure, but it is good, and the signal is strong enough to clearly represent the structures of the object in the image.

Edited by Jon Rista, 08 November 2018 - 07:01 PM.

• Stelios, mikefulb, pfile and 10 others like this

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:58 AM

Very interesting, John. 

Some questions, and please excuse them if too simplistic, I'm just trying to understand:

Is the distance between blue and the read/dark noise representing the sky fog? I would have expected the sky fog to be evenly distributed.

If the blue is signal, why do some of the blue lines go all the way down, cutting through the read and dark noise? 

#3 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:53 AM

Very interesting, John. 

Some questions, and please excuse them if too simplistic, I'm just trying to understand:

Is the distance between blue and the read/dark noise representing the sky fog? I would have expected the sky fog to be evenly distributed.

If the blue is signal, why do some of the blue lines go all the way down, cutting through the read and dark noise? 

The blue offset represents skyfog + object signal + bias offset + dark offset. It is the total offset, and since the object signal is included, it is not flat, it varies with the signal. I've matched the image from which the blue plot was sampled with the plot itself. You can click the link to get a full size with lower compression to see it better, but as the blue plot increases, the pixels on the red line marked across the image will brighten, and as the blue plot decreases, the pixels on the red line marked in the image will darken. This is the full image signal...all offsets are represented.

The blue signal also represents all noise. Noisy pixels can deviate more than the average amount, and yes, you will notice that some of the pixels in the blue plot deviate enough to reach even a little lower than the read noise floor. Those would be very cold pixels, deviating due to read noise and dark current, and they just so happened to deviate more than the average amount.

Also note, the blue plot is a plot from an actual image. The gray plot is a plot from a dark frame. The red plot is from a bias frame. In reality, the various noise terms are not separated like this...I just plotted the three together to show how offset and noise distribution change. In the actual image, the blue plot represents ALL of the noise, including read and dark noise. All noise deviates around the offset, and the offset technically varies from pixel to pixel in an actual image. In colder pixels, where the sky and object signal is low (or even zero), all the noise would be read and dark. While most of the time read noise will vary within its standard deviation (~68% of the time), and the vast majority of the time it will deviate within two standard deviations (~95%), there are still times where read noise alone could result in deviations up to 3, 4, 5, or even more standard deviations. So some pixels could end up very dark, just because of read noise. Hence the reason the blue plot could sometimes reach below the read noise floor represented by the red plot.

Edited by Jon Rista, 09 November 2018 - 02:56 AM.

#4 lakeorion

lakeorion

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:17 AM

And for my clarification:

minimize dark red with Bias calibration,

minimize dark gray with calibrated darks,

minimize blue with integrating multiple calibrated lights?

#5 miwitte

miwitte

Viking 1

• Loc: Charlotte NC

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:43 AM

id like to see that stacked, and with NR applied.

#6 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:48 AM

And for my clarification:

minimize dark red with Bias calibration,

minimize dark gray with calibrated darks,

minimize blue with integrating multiple calibrated lights?

I am not sure what you mean when you say "minimize"...

These are from individual calibrated frames. A calibrated bias frame...single frame, with master bias subtracted, but with a pedestal added to preserve the offset. A calibrated dark frame...single frame, with master dark subtracted, but with a pedestal added to preserve the offset. And a calibrated light frame, with pedestal.

So the signals for each plot are just the shot noise and read noise, really.

#7 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:36 PM

Here is a version of the image plot from a 6 hour integration, without any noise reduction:

Image Noise Stack CN.jpg

(Full Version...Low Compression)

Stacking does have a dramatic effect on reducing noise. The signal is much clearer, the fainter stars are now quite obvious.

Edited by Jon Rista, 09 November 2018 - 12:43 PM.

• FlankerOneTwo likes this

#8 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:37 PM

Here is the same 6 hour integration, with moderately aggressive noise reduction with TGVDenoise in PI:

Image Noise NR.jpg

(Full Version...Low Compression)

There is an improvement here, the signal becomes smoother, however not as dramatic as the effect stacking has. NR is primarily an aesthetic smoothing of the data, which eliminates grain, however it is usually at the cost of accuracy.

• mikefulb likes this

#9 lakeorion

lakeorion

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 10 November 2018 - 11:08 PM

These are from individual calibrated frames. A calibrated bias frame...single frame, with master bias subtracted, but with a pedestal added to preserve the offset. A calibrated dark frame...single frame, with master dark subtracted, but with a pedestal added to preserve the offset. And a calibrated light frame, with pedestal.

OK I missed in the original post that the frame was already calibrated.

So the read noise is inherent to the camera, where does the dark noise come from with properly calibrated and integrated darks?

#10 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2018 - 12:23 AM

OK I missed in the original post that the frame was already calibrated.

So the read noise is inherent to the camera, where does the dark noise come from with properly calibrated and integrated darks?

Dark current leads to DFPN as well as dark current shot noise. The remaining noise after dark calibration is the dark current shot noise...which, as you can see, is rather trivial with modern, and especially COOLED, cameras.

#11 miwitte

miwitte

Viking 1

• Loc: Charlotte NC

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:24 AM

That is a pretty sweet way of showing noise I like it. Where did you find a method to show it like that it could come in handy.

#12 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 11 November 2018 - 02:08 AM

Jon, thanks for the writeup.

It might be worth pointing out that any pixel rejection done during the integration can NOT improve your signal-to-noise ratio. In fact a simple average integration without pixel rejection will produce your best signal-to-noise ratio. Given this, pixel rejection should only be used to remove really gross outliers (random hot/cold pixels and cosmic ray strikes) and things like airplane/satellite tracks.

As for producing such plots, PixInsight's PixelMath can be used to sample and plot such data.

Here is a tutorial video on such a technique by Gerald Wechselberger:

https://www.dropbox....nglish.wmv?dl=0

And a link to Gerald's other tutorials:

http://www.werbeagen...PixInsight.html

#13 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: La Palma

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:10 AM

OK, so this explains what I'm actually seeing in those plots.

Just, for the image plot - shouldn't you also have subtracted the 'calibrated' (i.e., 6h-averaged) intensity signal to only show the noise part of the image?  This way it's mixing noise and intensity, no?

#14 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2018 - 03:35 PM

OK, so this explains what I'm actually seeing in those plots.

Just, for the image plot - shouldn't you also have subtracted the 'calibrated' (i.e., 6h-averaged) intensity signal to only show the noise part of the image?  This way it's mixing noise and intensity, no?

Noise and signal are two sides of the same coin. The goal was to show what a signal and its noise looks like when you look at it in a different way. The offset is as intrinsic a part of the signal as the noise is, so I don't think it should be removed. The variation in offset pixel to pixel is crucial to making an image anything other than a flat even gray.

#15 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2018 - 03:46 PM

Jon, thanks for the writeup.

It might be worth pointing out that any pixel rejection done during the integration can NOT improve your signal-to-noise ratio. In fact a simple average integration without pixel rejection will produce your best signal-to-noise ratio. Given this, pixel rejection should only be used to remove really gross outliers (random hot/cold pixels and cosmic ray strikes) and things like airplane/satellite tracks.

As for producing such plots, PixInsight's PixelMath can be used to sample and plot such data.

Here is a tutorial video on such a technique by Gerald Wechselberger:

https://www.dropbox....nglish.wmv?dl=0

And a link to Gerald's other tutorials:

http://www.werbeagen...PixInsight.html

Hmm, I am not sure I fully agree that pixel rejection cannot improve SNR. I consider FPN, which would include hot pixels and other fixed structures that are often inherent in the data, as well as trails from airplanes, satellites and meteors, and even any remnant dust motes to all be "noise" in the sense that it interferes with an unobstructed view of the object signal. In that sense, pixel rejection does indeed improve SNR, because it is removing unwanted junk that obscures parts of the desired signal, and affects perception of the signal overall. That may not be a "mathematically pure" definition there, but I don't think it is an incorrect description of what noise does from a perceptual standpoint...noise obscures our observations of the signal of interest.

I think it also goes more deeply than that, and pixel rejection can improve SNR from a mathematical standpoint and the accuracy of the final results. Consider: Scaling and alignment is involved in the process of integrating an image, and how well aligned the data is will affect the statistical process. Outlier pixels due to noise or frame intrusions can  have an effect on those alignment processes, so rejecting them should improve the final result. Airplane trails in particular can affect large areas of the frame in a non-trivial fashion, and I've had frames with multiple meteor and sat trails. When done right (and it seems to be pretty difficult to really get it right, based on my experience as well as numerous threads on the topic), local normalization is supposed to do something similar, improve the alignment of the data in each frame before integration for optimal results.

I think the only time pure averaging would produce the best SNR would be if the data was pristine...pure shot noise, and nothing but.

What I do agree with you on is that pixel rejection should indeed only reject outliers. It should not be rejecting data en-mass, as that would mean you were rejecting data within the normal distribution of the signal, and yes, that would be detrimental to SNR. 

#16 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2018 - 04:07 PM

That is a pretty sweet way of showing noise I like it. Where did you find a method to show it like that it could come in handy.

I have a 2DPlot script in PI. I do not remember where I got it, but it looks like this:

FbVRTkh.jpg

I can right-click the plot and export as CSV, which I then import into Excel to produce the final charts.

#17 pedxing

pedxing

Vanguard

• Loc: SE Alaska

Posted 11 November 2018 - 05:13 PM

I do not remember where I got it

Herbert Walter

• james7ca likes this

#18 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:02 AM

Hmm, I am not sure I fully agree that pixel rejection cannot improve SNR... 

Jon, I think if you review the integration tool documentation on PixInsight you will see that they state that it is mathematically impossible with any pixel rejection algorithm to improve the SNR over what you achieve with a simple average combination WITHOUT pixel rejection. That's why they recommend that you always do your initial integration with pixel rejection disabled and then you target your rejection method and parameters to get as close as you can to the SNR of that initial integration while still removing any obvious outliers.

Now, having said that it is obvious that in many cases you can produce a more perceptually pleasing image by using pixel rejection (by removing such things as airplane and satellite trails), but there is always some cost to the final SNR when you use rejection (although if done correctly that difference should be minimal, perhaps not even perceptible). Note, in particular, that I'm talking about SNR, not whether pixel rejection can result in a "better" looking image.

However, the point here is that your target SNR for any integration result with rejection is just the average integration done without pixel rejection (and you can't do any better than the latter). This is the key factor in trying to determine the best rejection method and the parameters used with same.

Actually, we've had a similar debate on this matter back in the year 2015 and here is a reference where I give further examples from the PixInsight documentation (I don't want to repeat that entire post here, so this is the link):

https://www.cloudyni...-2#entry6539621

• Der_Pit likes this

#19 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:40 PM

Jon, I think if you review the integration tool documentation on PixInsight you will see that they state that it is mathematically impossible with any pixel rejection algorithm to improve the SNR over what you achieve with a simple average combination WITHOUT pixel rejection. That's why they recommend that you always do your initial integration with pixel rejection disabled and then you target your rejection method and parameters to get as close as you can to the SNR of that initial integration while still removing any obvious outliers.

Now, having said that it is obvious that in many cases you can produce a more perceptually pleasing image by using pixel rejection (by removing such things as airplane and satellite trails), but there is always some cost to the final SNR when you use rejection (although if done correctly that difference should be minimal, perhaps not even perceptible). Note, in particular, that I'm talking about SNR, not whether pixel rejection can result in a "better" looking image.

However, the point here is that your target SNR for any integration result with rejection is just the average integration done without pixel rejection (and you can't do any better than the latter). This is the key factor in trying to determine the best rejection method and the parameters used with same.

Actually, we've had a similar debate on this matter back in the year 2015 and here is a reference where I give further examples from the PixInsight documentation (I don't want to repeat that entire post here, so this is the link):

https://www.cloudyni...-2#entry6539621

From a purely mathematical standpoint, I agree.

From a perceptual standpoint, I've stuck with Winsorized Sigma rather than moving to Linear Fit clipping, as LF clipping integrations (at least with my CMOS data) never look as good as Winsorized integrations do. I consider all the other junk in the frames to be a form of noise (not gaussian or poisson, but "noise" in the sense that they affect the perception of the signal of interest), and without clipping outliers, that "noise" affects the averaging process.

Anyway, from a purely mathematical standpoint regarding only temporally random gaussian or poisson noise, a strait average will give you the best SNR.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics