•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do you deal with condensation?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Warrant

Warrant

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:59 PM

I was trying to take pictures of the Pleiades last night. 30 seconds of exposure but no image. I can see the stars fine through the telescope eyepiece but when I mount the fslr, i can't see the stars either through the viewfinder or the LCD display. One picture had a large blurry glob of light as if it was out of focus. It was a lot of dew that night. Any suggestions? Dennis

#2 Gary Z

Gary Z

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:12 PM

This may be of help to you:

https://photographin...m/dew-proofing/

Other suggestions..since I don't know what your experience level is, please don't feel I am beingcondescending. 

But the short answer is A) Be mindful of the conditions for the night you want to use your optics.  Look at the hourly temps and dew points for the hours you want to observe.  There are several weather websites that post this information such as weather.com, weatherunderground.com, or accuweather.com.

B) Look at purchasing a dew heater setup for your imaging.  This will consist of the strips that go around your camera, lens, or telescope and plugged into a dew controller which supplies enough heat to prevent the dew.

Look, I know the excitement of setting up can get to you when you are starting out.  Hey, it happens further along as well. LOL...But let the weather forecast work for you and be mindful of what's going on where you intend to set up.  

Respectfully,

Gary

#3 Casey G

Casey G

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ont. Canada

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:14 PM

I was trying to take pictures of the Pleiades last night. 30 seconds of exposure but no image. I can see the stars fine through the telescope eyepiece but when I mount the fslr, i can't see the stars either through the viewfinder or the LCD display. One picture had a large blurry glob of light as if it was out of focus. It was a lot of dew that night. Any suggestions? Dennis

Invest in a good dew heater and dew shield

It's worth it if your into photography

Casey

#4 Warrant

Warrant

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:26 PM

Thanks very much for your tips. I'll follow up on that 😀

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics