•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Placing 2" Filter into SCT Optical Path

accessories astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 deansjc

deansjc

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:26 PM

Originally posted 03 November 2018 - 08:44 PM in NexStar Forum, which may not have been the most appropriate place:

...so, I am posting here in hopes of some input from others.  With thanks.

Here's my question: what have you used and what would you recommend to place a 2" filter into the optical path of an Celestron 8SE for astrophotography?  Solutions that I have seen seem to involve a SCT visual back adapter into which a second component (that accepts 2" filters) is inserted, which in turn accepts a T-Adapter.  Obviously, there is a fair bit more involved here than for visual observing where a 2" diagonal is normally threaded for a 2" filter.

'Regards, John.

#2 einarin

einarin

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:49 AM

I just use 2" filter with 2" nosepiece (which has threads).

#3 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:25 AM

+1

That is what I use; a 2" filter threaded onto the end of my camera's 2" nosepiece.

#4 deansjc

deansjc

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:00 AM

Thank you very much for your suggestion....however I must be either "missing something" or just have the "wrong" parts in my kit that you are using since I am fine to do AP with no filter.  I am using a Nikon D5300 with Celestron's T-Adaptor-SC #93633-A mated to Celestron's Nikon T ring #93402.  With these components, there is no nose piece per se, rather a direct threaded connection tube for the visual back threads.

Would I be right in my thinking that you have different components in play, one of which is threaded for a 2" filter?  I would appreciate a photo of your arrangement or a link to same, as I suspect it is the better option to pursue.

Still, if there is an add-on to my kit pieces that would accommodate a filter, I'd be happy to hear what that might be.

'Cheers.

#5 einarin

einarin

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:18 AM

Maybe this thread will help:

https://www.cloudyni...ters-with-dslr/

#6 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:55 AM

My DSLR has a camera to t-thread adapter with a 2" nosepiece screwed onto the t-thread. This slips into a short 2" visual back on my scope. I have seen direct connects but I have never used one. Some have internal threads to accept a filter, others use chip-in filters that mount inside the camera body. Lots of options.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics