•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Travelscope 80/Astromaster 80

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Flyingsnow

Flyingsnow

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hicksville, Long Island, New York

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:03 AM

So, Celestron has recently released an 80mm Travelscope and an Astromaster 80. Both have an FL of 400mm. The travelscope seems to be the same as the Meade Adventurescope 80 which I have heard is the same as the Orion 80ST and in turn have heard that they are all made by Synta. The Astromaster however, looks like a mini version of the other Astromaster. Now I own a Travelscope 70 and an Astromaster 70 and have been in the market, for a while now, for an 80mm short tube. Plus I also like small refractors.
Has anybody acquired one of these yet? I’ve pretty much decided that I am going to order the Travelscope 80 tomorrow, which is priced at $109 (usd) while the Astromaster is $179 or $169 on Amazon. Why is it $10 less than on the Celestron site? Who knows? The Travelscope is also .95¢ cheaper.
Has anyone else been looking at these scopes? Should I just get the adventure scope since it’s $20 less? But I think the accessories with the Celestron are better (MA ep’s and it comes with a phone adapter) and I like the black over the beige.
Any input or opinions here would be awesome.
Thanks and clear skies all....✨✨

#2 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:15 AM

Hard to tell but from the pictures the Celestron 80mm travelscope looks to have a plastic focuser. The astromaster I’m pretty sure has the plastic focuser 

go go with the Meade Adventure 80mm or the Meade Infinity 80mm is yo are looking for a better tripod 

• Flyingsnow likes this

#3 Flyingsnow

Flyingsnow

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:48 AM

I’m not too concerned with the tripod. If the Astromaster is like any of the other models then it should have a metal focuser.

#4 shohin

shohin

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:12 AM

The Adventure 80 comes with a red dot finder, if that makes a difference to you.  A lot more useable than that little 5x24 tube on the Travel 80, IMO.

Anyone else notice that the Travel 80 focuser has an integral dovetail finder shoe but they elected not to use it?  I find that a bit odd.

• Flyingsnow likes this

#5 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:32 AM

Hi to everyone.

I hadn't heard of these new Celestron achromatic refractors until this topic thread was started by Flyingsnow. I'll check them both out as soon as I can. The one that I have recently learned about but I don't know much about it is the Gskyer 80mm achromatic refractor. See link below:

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B00XQLV11M

The tripod looks sturdy enough. What do you think?

There is a 90mm Gskyer which has a focal length of 600mm. A much better deal?

Would them both be better served if they came with a 2" focuser?

• Flyingsnow likes this

#6 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:03 AM

The Adventure 80 comes with a red dot finder, if that makes a difference to you.  A lot more useable than that little 5x24 tube on the Travel 80, IMO.

Anyone else notice that the Travel 80 focuser has an integral dovetail finder shoe but they elected not to use it?  I find that a bit odd.

Yes I noticed that too. And if you zoom in on the pictures from the B&H link you will see that the focuser is very shinny and the finder scope shoe has curved edges. That smells like plastic to me

#7 Flyingsnow

Flyingsnow

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:08 AM

Hi to everyone.

I hadn't heard of these new Celestron achromatic refractors until this topic thread was started by Flyingsnow. I'll check them both out as soon as I can. The one that I have recently learned about but I don't know much about it is the Gskyer 80mm achromatic refractor. See link below:

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B00XQLV11M

The tripod looks sturdy enough. What do you think?

There is a 90mm Gskyer which has a focal length of 600mm. A much better deal?

Would them both be better served if they came with a 2" focuser?

I was 👀 my atvthe Gskyer but don’t know anything about the company or it’s optics. The tripod does look nice and sturdy and I like the way it looks with the rings and all. I have already placed my order for the travelscope 80 and will let all know what I think of it. I also ordered a red dot with it. I wanted the Astromaster 80 short tube but I like the backpack and lower price point and still really like my Travelscope 69. I’m fine with the wobbly tripod and will take the trade offf for the portability and if I want to use it at home I have a sturdier Mount to put it on from my Astromaster 70 or my infinity nano. The nano isn’t really good for much else. Idk how ES is shipping scopes like the 127 mak I got with it.

#8 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:19 AM

The 80mm Gskyer is a good scope with a metal focuser. You can reach out to CN member aeajr to get more details. He actually has a review up on Amazon on that scope which was given to him by the company in exchange for an honest review.

Edited by tony_spina, 09 November 2018 - 04:59 PM.

• Flyingsnow likes this

#9 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:04 AM

Yes I noticed that too. And if you zoom in on the pictures from the B&H link you will see that the focuser is very shinny and the finder scope shoe has curved edges. That smells like plastic to me

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics