•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help Setting Up SGP and the Framind Mosaic Wizard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:30 AM

So I'm getting ambitious and want to do a 9 panel of Andromeda. This will probably take all winter given the wx around here :)

Anyway I set things up in SGP and in the "Target List" I have 9 items (m31-1 to m31-9). Do I have to do each panel separately/manually or do you set up 9 Events? Like are the "Events" linked to the "Target List" some how?

I'm overlapping by 15% - hope that's enough?

M31.JPG

#2 spokeshave

spokeshave

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:17 AM

It helps to understand what SGP means by "Targets" and "Events". Your Targets are the individual panels of the mosaic, m31-1 through m31-9. they are members of the "Target List" for the sequence. For each Target, you have "Events". These are the individual frames you will take. So, for each of your Targets, m31-1 through m31-9, you will populate the frames you shoot as Events. When you click on one of the Targets in the Target List, you get a unique Events table for that target. In that table you tell SGP what frames, filters, etc. you want. 

When SGP runs it will, by default, start with the first Target (m31-1) and execute all of the frames for that target (Events). It will then move on to the next Target (m31-2) and shoot those frames (Events). 

Everything put together, Targets and Events, constitutes a "Sequence". 

I hope that helps.

Tim

#3 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:32 AM

Okay thanks Tim,

That makes a great deal of sense. I didn't realize that I had the opportunity to make a unique series of events (filters/exposures/etc) for each Target. That will definitely simplify things :)

#4 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:03 PM

Overlapping 15% is probably enough.  20% might be better depending on how well your setup works (will there be much field rotation due to misalignment etc).

What concerns me about your preview image is that it only shows one panel?

#5 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:30 PM

Hi Joel,

Its 9 panels I just unchecked the button to show it as a single panel. I'll take your advice and overlap at 20%, just to be safe.

Thanks

#6 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:32 PM

Create the events for the first target

For the others, copy the events from the first target into the others. 

This is done with a right clock on the target. A pop up menu allows you to "Cope Events From"

Instead of gathering all of one target, then another, then another, consider getting four exposures on each filter (or whatever) from each target, and moving on to the next. When you have four from each, re-run the sequence, and again when you have that finished. That way, if the clouds are nasty to your, and you never can get twelve or sixteen of each filter, each panel, at least you can still have a finished mosaic.

Alex

• Vassar1978 likes this

#7 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:35 PM

Appreciated Alex,

Will work that in.

Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics