•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which material For Making A Light Shroud?

DIY dob reflector beginner
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Naraya

Naraya

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Jakarta, Indonesia

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:41 AM

Hey guys,
I just recently bought a heritage 130p, (mostly because of cheap shipping costs through the flextube) but the flextube does come with a downgrade of contrast

Tl;dr
Basically what materials should i use to make the light shroud? i am at a lost of ideas because most are either not opaque, or opaque but reflectice

#2 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Ranger 4

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:50 AM

Check out the thread here on CN devoted to the AWB OneSky.  Search "light shroud".  There is an overwhelming abount of information there about all aspects of your telescope (the Heritage 130 is the same scope).  

I used craft foam sheets and some duct tape or gaffer's tape.  They are opaque.  The reflectivity is not high.  

https://www.michaels...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Some folks use thin Kydex sheets.  It is opaque but a bit reflective.  You could flock it.

I also experimented with a fabric exterior shroud using black velvet. It worked well, but I went back to the hobby foam.

Edited by cookjaiii, 09 November 2018 - 07:50 AM.

• Augustus likes this

#3 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:22 PM

I'm going to see two layers together. Velvet on the inside, which is blacker than black fabric, and some black fabric outside that, since velvet is very see through. I don't know what outside fabrick I'll use. Likely tall put the fabric inside the truss not outside.

#4 Naraya

Naraya

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Jakarta, Indonesia

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:15 AM

Check out the thread here on CN devoted to the AWB OneSky.  Search "light shroud".  There is an overwhelming abount of information there about all aspects of your telescope (the Heritage 130 is the same scope).  

I used craft foam sheets and some duct tape or gaffer's tape.  They are opaque.  The reflectivity is not high.  

Some folks use thin Kydex sheets.  It is opaque but a bit reflective.  You could flock it.

I also experimented with a fabric exterior shroud using black velvet. It worked well, but I went back to the hobby foam.

Alright, i might use craft foam sheets because of the availability, thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY, dob, reflector, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics