•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Aligning the finder scope in an older telescope

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Peter_D

Peter_D

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:27 AM

Hi,

Sorry if this post is a bit obvious to some members but maybe it will help others in future.

Background: Yesterday I was having trouble aligning the finder scope on my Apollo 60/910. I just could not get the crosshairs over the target. Today, with fresh eyes, I looked at the set up. I noticed that even when the finder scope attachment screw to the shoe was tight, there was still a tiny amount of play between the holder and the shoe. 

I stuck a small amount of aluminium tape at the end of the shoe's base to raise the hight of the end of the shoe's floor. There was no longer any play and sure enough now the crosshairs are lining up perfectly.

As an aside, I unscrewed the finder scope shoe and was surprised to see how white the original colour of the scope was - got cleaning it straight away!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20181109_125638.jpg

#2 DMala

DMala

Apollo

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:39 AM

Good that you got it fixed! So the finderscope ring holder has no set screws?

For cleaning the OTA if a mild, non abrasive household surface cleaner is not sufficient, auto body polishing or rubbing compound will do a great job

#3 Peter_D

Peter_D

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:01 AM

Hi,
The ring has the 3 normal screws. The problem was when the mount was screwed tightly into place, it was misaligned due to the aforementioned play in the shoe.

When did finder scopes start having the two adjustable and one spring mounted screw system? It's a bit more user friendly!

#4 Piggyback

Piggyback

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:19 PM

Your 60/910mm Apollo is a very nice airspaced achromat. It was sold by Quelle in Germany. You should get a very sharp and contrasty view of planets. Did you startest it?

#5 Peter_D

Peter_D

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:20 AM

I haven't had the chance - has been extremely cloudy where I am in Germany. The weather is forecast to be clearer next week so will try the star test then.
Thanks for the cleaning tip!

#6 Peter_D

Peter_D

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:22 AM

Sorry, cleaning tip thanks should have been addressed to the previous poster.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics