•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

cold weather cancellation or not?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gustoresto

Gustoresto

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ottsville PA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:28 AM

I've been developing an email list I send out for when I'm setting up the scopes, and I'd like some feedback on having sessions as the weather gets colder at this time of year. 

Like do some of U just stop having sessions and if so at how low the temps?       I have some die hards on my list who would come out in Feb I but I'm guessing that it's only about 10% maybe a little more.    I have shelter from the wind, but I think when people see temps dropping into the forties, most won't come out.    Thx   Gus 

#2 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:43 AM

For outside work I don't go out if the temp is expected to go below 20° F.... If I have a warm room to stay in, and I can remote my gear, I set up a bit early, so I can go to about 10°F because i hate setting up and tearing down in the cold.

#3 DLuders

DLuders

Gemini

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:36 AM

A 10% turnout rate is better than nothing.  If you're going to be out observing anyway, why not send out the invitation and see how shows up?  smile.gif   Some of the best seeing occurs during cold winter nights when the moisture content of the atmosphere is low, there's no dust and pollen in the air, and the stars are bright.

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics