•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY16200, problem with returning grease spot on sensor glass.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 keesscherer

keesscherer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tomar, Portugal

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:56 AM

I have this camera since march 2017. The QHY16200 has been a pleasure to work with, but there is 1 strange problem with it. After about 6 months of use a grease like trace was beginning to appear on the bottom-right of my images and flats. At first i could not remove it from the sensor glass with the Eclipse sensor cleaning fluid, but after I got the Smear Away I was able to remove the grease trail. But after a few weeks.... the smear creeps back into view, etc.

I have the camera switched on 24/7 and the sensor is cooled to -20C, but only during image sessions.  Are there other users that have the same issue?

Attached Thumbnails

• QHY16200-greasetrail-and-flatcorner.jpg
  • Smear-Away-V-dust-plus.jpg

#2 BenKolt

BenKolt

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:39 PM

I have not experienced this issue.  This is an odd one as it appears in only one corner.  Have you contacted QHY about this?  Sure looks like an epoxy or some such material is slowly melting and seeping from that direction and ought to be addressed by the manufacturer.  Just a guess.

Thank you for posting a picture of the Smear Away and other products.  I had not heard of this and will look into it for my needs.

Ben

#3 keesscherer

keesscherer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2018 - 06:26 AM

I have not experienced this issue.  This is an odd one as it appears in only one corner.  Have you contacted QHY about this?  Sure looks like an epoxy or some such material is slowly melting and seeping from that direction and ought to be addressed by the manufacturer.  Just a guess.

Thank you for posting a picture of the Smear Away and other products.  I had not heard of this and will look into it for my needs.

Ben

No, i have not contacted QHY about this yet, but i know they monitor this forum. And i was curious if others had the same issue. This is not a good period to return the camera for a repair, maybe galaxy season next year.

#4 CharlesW

CharlesW

Gemini

• Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:50 PM

What happens if you don’t leave your camera turned on all the time? Does it take longer for the oil to migrate onto the sensor? Or not at all? I’m sure that there is still considerable heat being generated inside the camera body. 

• keesscherer likes this

#5 keesscherer

keesscherer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 November 2018 - 03:55 PM

What happens if you don’t leave your camera turned on all the time? Does it take longer for the oil to migrate onto the sensor? Or not at all? I’m sure that there is still considerable heat being generated inside the camera body. 

That is indeed what I am testing, now.

#6 cccha

cccha

Sputnik

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:44 AM

Is your device always powered on and off? How is his heat dissipation? If the outer casing is hot, there may be a melting of the sealed silicone oil, which is a very rare situation. Silicone oils are generally used in small quantities and will not be discharged.

#7 keesscherer

keesscherer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:10 AM

Is your device always powered on and off? How is his heat dissipation? If the outer casing is hot, there may be a melting of the sealed silicone oil, which is a very rare situation. Silicone oils are generally used in small quantities and will not be discharged.

The device has been on 24/7 during the last 18 months, The outer casing is 19 degrees Celcius in this FLIR image, the ambient temperature was 10 degrees C. Silicone oil is very temperature stable and will never "melt" in this situation i would think.

Attached Thumbnails

• FLIR-QHY16200.jpg

Edited by keesscherer, 12 November 2018 - 02:11 AM.

#8 LYAstro

LYAstro

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:46 AM

Thank you for your feedback, our technical staff will contact you as soon as possible to help you solve the problem.

#9 cccha

cccha

Sputnik

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:51 AM

The device has been on 24/7 during the last 18 months, The outer casing is 19 degrees Celcius in this FLIR image, the ambient temperature was 10 degrees C. Silicone oil is very temperature stable and will never "melt" in this situation i would think.

Thank you for the information you provided, can you tell me your email address, or you can contact our technical engineer cha@qhyccd.com by email, I think he will help you solve this problem.

• keesscherer likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics