•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIAIR Guiding Issues with HEQ5 Pro?

accessories astrophotography beginner CMOS dso equipment imaging mount observing tripod
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VladAstro

VladAstro

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:46 AM

Hello all.  Well I have been pulling my hair out recently because I have been out consecutive nights testing my new ASIAIR, which I was very excited about, and coming up with a complete fail.  The beauty of this setup was supposed to be it's ease of use, which for the most part I find true, except for the fact that I can't get the guiding to work at all with my HEQ5 Pro.  I have it all connected to my two ZWO cams and to the Synscan controller as the instructions suggest, and I can control the mount beautifully with the SkySafari 6 Pro app.  So I assume that the connections are all correct, and I can get as far as putting the square over a star in the guiding, but every time that I try to press the guiding crosshair icon, nothing happens!!  It doesn't begin any sort of calculations, and it just won't operate for me.  I have read in the instructions that the Synscan has to be very well polar aligned before hand, because the synchronization commands can only be applied in small amounts.  So I try my best to have it pretty well polar aligned, but maybe not good enough?  When I go into the mount options, there is no guiding rate option as I see illustrated in the manual.  I mean, what am I missing here??  It's extremely frustrating, and here in South Florida, we don't get too many clear skies, so I'm losing my recent opportunities pulling my hair out with this one setback.  If anyone can shed some light on this for me, or has this setup working, please let me know what you think my problem is.  I would certainly appreciate it.  Thanks!

#2 Axunator

Axunator

Ranger 4

• Loc: Helsinki, Finland

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:30 PM

Are you controlling ASIAIR with an iOS (Apple) device? Zero experience with ASIAIR, but one cannot control e.g. SW AZ-GTi mount with only one iOS device running both the SW's app and SkySafari at the same time because of some internal iOS conflict (many complaints about that in AZ-GTi threads...). Just wondering if you're experiencing similar situation with the ZWO app and Sky Safari...

#3 VladAstro

VladAstro

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:38 PM

Hi Axunator.  No I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with android 8.0.  Otherwise the ZWO app and SkySafari work well.  It's really only the guiding that I can't get to work at all.  I can loop the image, but I can't get it to calibrate, and then guide.  It's very frustrating.  I can plate solve, and pretty much do everything else it seems, but the guiding, and calibrating on the guide star, forget it.  I mean it just doesn't respond one bit.  The crosshair icon is nothing but a pretty image on screen, because for me it's a non functional icon.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, beginner, CMOS, dso, equipment, imaging, mount, observing, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics