•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Maks: 6" or 7"?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JoeBftsplk

JoeBftsplk

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: North of the Fingerlakes-NY

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:03 AM

Looking at Orion's two bigger Maksutovs. The planets, moon, and double stars are the viewing goals. My favorite mount is the Portamount. If the 6" works well on the Porta, I'd probably buy that as the setup would be almost grab-n-go and would see more use.

OTOH, if the Mak, with its narrow FOV and high magnifications, needs tracking and a sturdier mount, then I'll have to drag out a GEM (probably a SVP) and might as well get the bigger 7" Mak.

So has anyone used a 6" Mak on a Portamount? How did it work for you? Was lack of tracking a big annoyance?

#2 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:50 PM

The 150mm Mak would be borderline for the Porta, and given the magnifications the scope is capable of, tracking would be something of a hassle. I think the 180mm on a tracking mount would be an excellent combo.

• spongebob@55 and Tyson M like this

#3 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:45 PM

The 150mm Mak would be borderline for the Porta, and given the magnifications the scope is capable of, tracking would be something of a hassle. I think the 180mm on a tracking mount would be an excellent combo.

+1

The 180 is f/15 vs f/12 for the 150mm Mak.   But it also has a smaller secondary that theoretically will give you better contrast.  Definitely would need tracking, imo, for both to really enjoy their capabilities.  I had the 180mm and about to get another now that I have a capable Alt/Az tracking mount.   The scope's optics were very good.   If you order from Orion, you can try it out for 30 days and if not, return it for only $7.95, no questions asked.  And you can watch the Clearance Center for their '2nd' which are usually $200 less than new.  The return policy also applies to 2nds.

#4 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Apollo

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:04 PM

I have the Orion 150 here and the Twilight and the settle time is right at my personal limits. Azimuth is no problem but I do get jitters on the altitude using the slo-mo but if you're light handed and/or keep a finger on the tube you can help it a bunch. I have a 85mm f/7 refractor that lives on the Twilight and using the course focus on it causes more jitter than the Mak, we're turning the knob in a different direction and I can focus the Mak just as easily if not better than using the fine focus on the refractor. The Twilight isn't a perfect fit for the 150 but if it's all I had it wouldn't keep me from observing. The 180 Mak ain't gonna work on the Twilight, at least not for me.

Peace...

Edit:

Forgot to share that when I was using these two together it was solar system and doubles and though there was vibration/jitters it wasn't enough to stop me from enjoying the views.

Edited by jeremiah2229, 10 November 2018 - 04:08 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics