•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New LED street lights

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zxx

zxx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:12 AM

They replaced the street lights on my street with LEDs .Does this help or hurt with the LP ?   

Edited by zxx, 09 November 2018 - 10:23 AM.

• khobar likes this

#2 khobar

khobar

Mariner 2

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:27 AM

They've done that here, too. Worse is they put in taller posts that stick up above the houses, so now our neighborhood resembles something out of War of the Worlds. They are far more intense than the old lights but produce less usable light leaning in the blues. I don't know if they've impacted my imaging since I'm in a red zone anyway, but here's something about it: https://www.skyandte...ion-increasing/

• zxx likes this

#3 Allanbarth1

Allanbarth1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:28 AM

The did the same on my street. I made it MUCH worse. Not only are they incredibly brighter, they now illuminate a much larger area with consistently bright light. 

• zxx likes this

#4 einarin

einarin

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:30 AM

There are pros and cons - cons that light pollution filters are almost useless and pros that there is more change that they can dim or even shut them down when there is no need for full lightning.

• zxx likes this

#5 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Skylab

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:37 AM

LED is kind of a double edged sword.  On one hand they do seem to have less light trespass so appear brighter.  One night I was driving up to an intersection that had recently been converted and I thought to my self, "there's something odd here, I can see the intersection but there are no lights".  It was only when I came within a hundred feet of the intersection did I notice the new lights.  So that is a plus as less light is getting thrown up into the sky.  On the other hand, LEDs produce a continuous spectrum of light.  This contrasts with older sodium and mercury lights that have been popular.  The older lights emit in discrete bands of light which can be blocked by light pollution filters.  Now with LEDs, light pollution filters would be ineffective.  It would be nice if instead of pure white LEDs, that manufacturers would use tri colored LED to produce white, thus allowing the use of light pollution filters to block the light pollution.  

• piaras, zxx and alstarjoey like this

#6 DMRandall

DMRandall

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:49 AM

zzx - you might reach out to your city contact in charge of the project.  I did the same when I saw the LED replacement project rolling out in my area.  At best, you can get some assistance in having your particular location adjusted (maybe they can do it on a schedule?) for better imaging.  At worst, at least they know that there are people who care that brighter isn't always better, and there is negative impact to the project locally.  

One change I had requested a few years back was to have a light baffle installed on the light pole that was causing direct light to shine in my bedroom/front of house.  It was installed by the power company within a week of requesting.  That might be an option for you too.

Dave

Thunder Creek Observatory

• Dynan likes this

#7 piaras

piaras

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:27 AM

We had the LED lights installed a couple years ago. Overall it turned out better than prior lighting. My SQM readings moved up from 18.2 to a new average of 18.7. The town used existing poles so there was no increase in height.

This photo has been taken since the change and is my first try at a fainter object. It is a blend of 61 x 3 minutes at a dark site and 83 x  3 minutes taken from my backyard. I still used a LP filter at home as Buffalo NY is only about 1 1/2 miles away to the east. Started shooting straight up and continued as target moved west over the next few hours. I call it a success!

Attached Thumbnails

• FFA067A2-D7BC-42A4-AF82-DEF0817FD7B5.jpeg

• zxx likes this

#8 zxx

zxx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:09 PM

zzx - you might reach out to your city contact in charge of the project.  I did the same when I saw the LED replacement project rolling out in my area.  At best, you can get some assistance in having your particular location adjusted (maybe they can do it on a schedule?) for better imaging.  At worst, at least they know that there are people who care that brighter isn't always better, and there is negative impact to the project locally.  

One change I had requested a few years back was to have a light baffle installed on the light pole that was causing direct light to shine in my bedroom/front of house.  It was installed by the power company within a week of requesting.  That might be an option for you too.

Dave

Thunder Creek Observatory

Good information , Thank's Dave 

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics