I just spent about an hour working with Stellarium. Well... I only got to spend about 15 minutes working with Stellarium. I spent 45 minutes trying to get the mount to communicate with Stellarium.
First, I started Stellarium Scope... checked the "Connect" box... then clicked on the "Start Stellarium" button.
Stellarium opened... clicked on the telescope icon on the bottom toolbar... nothing was working (no communication with the mount).
Then I closed everything.
I tried the POTH Scope Hub this time... started it... connected... and, with that little app, I had control of the mount. I then opened Stellarium... nothing. I tried looking for some way to configure settings properly in Stellarium to sync with POTH... I couldn't figure it out. I closed Stellarium... closed POTH... and went back to Stellarium Scope...
I then went back and forth between programs with no luck. Then, eventually, I decided to reboot the computer and reconfigure the mount... eating up more time.
This time, I started Stellarium Scope... connected... got an error message saying my computer time does not match my sidereal time.... that it was 86,400 seconds off (which is one day). I have no idea why. The date in my computer is the same as the date in my mount. I was stumped. I decided to click on that "Update Stellarium Configuration" button... click through the prompts.... then clicked on "Start Stellarium" button... Stellarium opened....
This time, the "Scope" reticle was over Polaris so that was a plus. Then I chose a target and pressed Ctrl+1... and I got the Windows Error sound but, surprisingly, the mount slewed. So I tried the Slew window in Stellarium (rather than using Ctrl+1 since I got the error sound).... chose a target... clicked on "Slew"... got the error sound again but it slewed to the target. I continued slewing to various targets and it worked but I kept getting that error sound for every slew.
So, what have I taken away from this experience? Trying to use the computer with this mount to quickly and easily slew to targets seems to be a tremendous waste of time, effort and resources. It would be far easier and far faster for me to simply spot a target on my computer screen (in Stellarium)... then pick up my handbox and select that target name on the handbox and hit Go.
Right now I'm feeling like I'm wasting my time with all of this. It seems to me that this new development in this latest firmware update is only making things more complicated, very finicky and quirky, and with far too many errors between successes. I feel that if I had a clear night here, for a change, and set up everything outside... did my Polar Alignment... set up the rest of my gear... then wasted 45 minutes getting this computer control to work... my night would be ruined because I would be frustrated and I would no longer have any desire to waste more time. I'm trying to find ways to ease the burden and time required in setup and in using the telescope but this, at this point, this not helping in the least.
The irony here is we all felt slighted when, after purchase, we realized the port on the handbox for computer control didn't work. We all hoped that a firmware update would resolve that issue. When the firmware update finally arrives... it is less than impressive (I could add a few more other colorful, descriptive words here but I'll restrain myself).
If someone else has some ideas, I'm all ears. I'd like to try Starry Nights but don't want to buy it until I'm sure it will working seamlessly, as it should. Stellarium with this mount is not even close to seamless.