•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do you clean your CCD cover glass?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:24 PM

No matter how carefully I clean my CCD cover glass I mostly get a few dust spots left even with a good blower brush.

Having a clean CCD certainly helps your calibration tasks- any tips to share to get a clean CCD with minimal re-cleaning attempts?

#2 garyc11

garyc11

Gemini

• Loc: ny

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:29 PM

I use a gel stick sensor cleaner you can get them at ebay or amazon 

#3 neaptide

neaptide

Viking 1

• Loc: NY

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:42 PM

I've been using a 4x jewlers eyeloop to check the sensor and a bulb blower. The tiniest bit of dust can cause issues  It's been working really well for me. I try not to touch the glass if I can help it. 

Edited by neaptide, 09 November 2018 - 01:43 PM.

#4 barbarosa

barbarosa

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 130miles W of Yosemite

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:49 PM

I use a gel stick sensor cleaner you can get them at ebay or amazon 

Could you post a link or name the product that you use? There seem to be two price points, German and expensive or Chinese and (relatively) cheap. I've heard good reports about the German product and on photography sites some bad reports about an unnamed low priced stick from Amazon. However some of the web posts about the low priced stick seem like re-posts of the original.

#5 choward94002

choward94002

Mariner 2

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:51 PM

Hmm ... first, are you cleaning the actual sensor or the cover glass over the sensor?  Either way, here's a good article to refer to ... [https://www.adorama....Sensor-Yourself] ...

I have a cleaning kit that I use every few months on the camera, lenses, etc. that works fine ...

#6 CharlesW

CharlesW

Gemini

• Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:05 PM

Could you post a link or name the product that you use? There seem to be two price points, German and expensive or Chinese and (relatively) cheap. I've heard good reports about the German product and on photography sites some bad reports about an unnamed low priced stick from Amazon. However some of the web posts about the low priced stick seem like re-posts of the original.

If you are 130 miles west of Yosemite I’m guessing you aren’t too far from Fresno. In this day and age it’s easy to forget that there are actually brick and mortar stores out there, but have you gone to Horn Photo? I live in the San Diego area and I found that in a couple of seconds. Better than asking on CN to a bunch of people that really may have no idea what they are talking about. 

#7 choward94002

choward94002

Mariner 2

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:49 PM

Horn Photo seems nice, but they deal with terrestrial digital photo ... if I brought in an FLI 16803 they would likely look at me like I had three heads.  In addition, remember that people do searches on these CN threads all the time, so someday in a few years when someone searches for "clean + sensor + best" and they are located in Bolivia it's not going to be helpful for them to get the response "... swing on by Horn Photo in San Diego!" ...

#8 barbarosa

barbarosa

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 130miles W of Yosemite

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:28 PM

If you are 130 miles west of Yosemite I’m guessing you aren’t too far from Fresno. In this day and age it’s easy to forget that there are actually brick and mortar stores out there, but have you gone to Horn Photo? I live in the San Diego area and I found that in a couple of seconds. Better than asking on CN to a bunch of people that really may have no idea what they are talking about. 

Horn is going to work for me but thank you for the suggestion.

I am about 139 miles (156 road miles) from Yosemite NP and about 150 miles  (175 road) miles from Fresno, so fly or drive it would be a long way to go for advice.wink.gif 

Camera stores are fading, we have only one left in the area. Nice place with lots of expensive gear and collectible cameras and they quickly and very authoritatively recommend the German made  kit from  Lächerlich TeuerTM.. It comes in different sizes for different sensors and brands. A camera tech gave me a demonstration and wow clean room results. I pulled out the platinum card and then they said that the size I needed was on order. When it comes in I will post a CN report. 

I had to think about your comment about " a bunch of people that really may have no idea what they are talking about." because it does speak to a truth or a part of a truth anyway. We both post  here and I have some doubts about the reliability of my posts

#9 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: La Palma

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:37 AM

You can try Sensor Film. Intended for digital (photo) cameras, but I see no reason not to use it for AP CCD/CMOS.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics