•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Got two scopes today

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#1 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:27 PM

The 90mm and 6" ED came within 15 mins of each other.

o5ch9i.jpg

#2 junomike

junomike

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:32 PM

Very nice, Congrats!

#3 roadi

roadi

Apollo

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:49 PM

I really like that long D&G smile.gif 

Congrats with your scopes. Can't wait to hear how you like the APM under your skies cool.gif 

#4 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:28 PM

Maybe tonite.

#5 R_Huntzberry

R_Huntzberry

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Florida Lat 30.30

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:34 PM

Where you have the rings/dovetail plate on the D&G, is that the actual balance point? shocked.gif

#6 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:37 PM

congrats Chas. Enjoy

#7 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:42 PM

Where you have the rings/dovetail plate on the D&G, is that the actual balance point? shocked.gif

No. That is the rings to add back weight, only or a another scope.    The tube rings and dovetail were not on the OTA . I will need to do the same thing for the 6" ED if i keep it.  It will need 8lbs of back weight. As seen here.

11h9kpy.jpg

Edited by CHASLX200, 09 November 2018 - 02:45 PM.

#8 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:59 PM

I got one fast peek at the Double double at 200x and it is collimated. Just almost no color on Vega.  Just too many fast moving clouds.  Everytime i go to a object the clouds beat me to it.

#9 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:15 PM

Only thing i am not crazy about is the finder is mounted right in the way of my head and the focuser wants to rotate on it's own. Finder shoe needs to be on the tube out of heads way.

#10 Kaikul

Kaikul

Viking 1

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:42 PM

Man, who's your Santa Claus? And with those new scopes, aren't you supposed to be clouded out for at least a week?grin.gif

#11 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:50 PM

Been clear every nite.  

#12 dagadget

dagadget

Viking 1

• Loc: Avon Park, Florida

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:07 PM

Been clear every nite.  

Not so over here but tomorrow night looks like the 152 will get first light....Unless I want to stay up till 2 am. Congratulations on the scopes they look nice.

Edited by dagadget, 09 November 2018 - 09:08 PM.

#13 The Ardent

The Ardent

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:10 PM

Here’s another one close to ya

https://www.cloudyni... inch refractor

Been clear every nite.

#14 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:34 PM

Very nice! I'd be banging my head on that finder for sure. Maybe try it on the back ring. As for myself no scope for me. Was asking questions about that WO 132 on Amart because of concern about it being the older version with the aluminum cell and earlier optic. WO said they reworked it at some point. While doing so someone else snapped it up. Just as well too close to my WO ZS110 and hopefully they needed it more than me. David

Edited by dscarpa, 09 November 2018 - 09:38 PM.

#15 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:46 PM

I got one fast peek at the Double double at 200x and it is collimated. Just almost no color on Vega.  Just too many fast moving clouds.  Everytime i go to a object the clouds beat me to it.

Did you move to VAlol.gif

#16 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:08 AM

Only thing i am not crazy about is the finder is mounted right in the way of my head and the focuser wants to rotate on it's own. Finder shoe needs to be on the tube out of heads way.

Thank God I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I always thought the idea of mounting the finderscope on the focuser was stupid. It gets way too low and is always in the way. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#17 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:47 AM

Lets get to the nitty gritty right off the bat. I am not thrilled with the focuser with that strange kind of lock down that twist, no way in the world a finder will work where the shoe is placed.  Two reasons why i don't like it, it places a finder in the way of the users head, also the mounting base can't stick out  forward or you bump the lock down screw for the rotater.  So that all gets a big F.

Now the other other extreme that seems to be a dream.  Got the scope out this moring for a few deep sky objects, M41 looks like star dust on a nice black sky, M37 is just insane in the scope.  I say a 6" scope does the best for M37 and it is pure eye candy in around Mag 4.5 skies this AM. Now for the fun part, M42 and the trap, 3mm Delite and it is just getting warmed up.  For kicks did the 3mm Delite and a 2x barlow.  The trap at that power shows for nice round balls for stars and holds up to that power very well.  Contrast seems good so far. No moon or planets yet so time will tell.

I also slapped up the 5" D&G and say it gives just a hair cleaner tighter star images with a 3mm Delite. That D&G is a killer for sure.

The handle is nice to have to demount the OTA way over head high so nice touch there APM.  Build wise and paint looks top notch.  I really don't need a finder for this scope, but if i were to use one i would have it placed on the tube itself.  Hate to drill holes in the tube.  I am not a deep sky person really, but what few objects i look at i can do it faster than GO-TO can.

As for being massive top heavy i have a few tricks to help with that.  I can add a set of rings to the back and add weight, or even rig a long bar on top of the mounting rings and add weight on it. 

So until a get some good moon and planet viewing done i can't really grade this scope yet.   BTW, seeing was a easy 9 tonite,, humid and lots of dew.  I have no problem lifting the OTA way over my head to mount it up.

So far i like what i see.

Edited by CHASLX200, 10 November 2018 - 06:49 AM.

#18 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:52 AM

Here’s another one close to ya

https://www.cloudyni... inch refractor

Wished you never posted that.  I need to STOP BUYING and start cleaning house and keep two scopes and leave it at that.

#19 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:54 AM

Thank God I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I always thought the idea of mounting the finderscope on the focuser was stupid. It gets way too low and is always in the way. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

It is really not in the right place. Not sure how the focuser comes off as one could drill holes in the tube and place the shoe out of the way.

#20 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:29 AM

It is really not in the right place. Not sure how the focuser comes off as one could drill holes in the tube and place the shoe out of the way.

I just get another tube ring and put the finder shoe on that. If it's a big finder, maybe two rings with a short piece of flat aluminum bar or thick plate between them. Even plywood works. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#21 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:39 AM

no way in the world a finder will work where the shoe is placed

I tried using a standard RACI 8x50 finder on that bracket, and bumped my forehead too many times.  Bought that vintage Pentax J-60 F12 for better OTA balance, and use its attached 6x30 straight-through when I need it.

Long Term:  2nd set of 6" hinged rings, close to the focuser end, with the J-60 and/or my "new" Takahashi FC-50 on them -- maybe with the handle, too.

#22 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:42 AM

no way in the world a finder will work where the shoe is placed

I tried using a standard RACI 8x50 finder on that bracket, and bumped my forehead too many times.  Bought that vintage Pentax J-60 F12 for better OTA balance, and use its attached 6x30 straight-through when I need it.

Long Term:  2nd set of 6" hinged rings, close to the focuser end, with the J-60 and/or my "new" Takahashi FC-50 on them -- maybe with the handle, too.

I got a plan stan. This thick strip of metal and these weights may do the trick. Once i get it done i will post some pics.

2i6qua.jpg

#23 starman876

starman876

Hubble

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:31 AM

Lets get to the nitty gritty right off the bat. I am not thrilled with the focuser with that strange kind of lock down that twist, no way in the world a finder will work where the shoe is placed.  Two reasons why i don't like it, it places a finder in the way of the users head, also the mounting base can't stick out  forward or you bump the lock down screw for the rotater.  So that all gets a big F.

Now the other other extreme that seems to be a dream.  Got the scope out this moring for a few deep sky objects, M41 looks like star dust on a nice black sky, M37 is just insane in the scope.  I say a 6" scope does the best for M37 and it is pure eye candy in around Mag 4.5 skies this AM. Now for the fun part, M42 and the trap, 3mm Delite and it is just getting warmed up.  For kicks did the 3mm Delite and a 2x barlow.  The trap at that power shows for nice round balls for stars and holds up to that power very well.  Contrast seems good so far. No moon or planets yet so time will tell.

I also slapped up the 5" D&G and say it gives just a hair cleaner tighter star images with a 3mm Delite. That D&G is a killer for sure.

The handle is nice to have to demount the OTA way over head high so nice touch there APM.  Build wise and paint looks top notch.  I really don't need a finder for this scope, but if i were to use one i would have it placed on the tube itself.  Hate to drill holes in the tube.  I am not a deep sky person really, but what few objects i look at i can do it faster than GO-TO can.

As for being massive top heavy i have a few tricks to help with that.  I can add a set of rings to the back and add weight, or even rig a long bar on top of the mounting rings and add weight on it. 

So until a get some good moon and planet viewing done i can't really grade this scope yet.   BTW, seeing was a easy 9 tonite,, humid and lots of dew.  I have no problem lifting the OTA way over my head to mount it up.

So far i like what i see.

I had an 8" Cave that would do just as well or better on most nights.grin.gif

Edited by starman876, 10 November 2018 - 08:32 AM.

#24 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:58 AM

Congrats on the new scopes, Chas.

I hate finders on the focuser.  They always got in my way so I moved mine up to a bar across the top of the rings.

Hope these all work well for you!

Ron

#25 dagadget

dagadget

Viking 1

• Loc: Avon Park, Florida

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:28 AM

Wished you never posted that.  I need to STOP BUYING and start cleaning house and keep two scopes and leave it at that.

Now Chas You really think the bug will leave you? Here I was at a Maximum of 7 scopes now I am down to the AT 152EDT and CGEM II CPC 1100GPS Celestron 114 F/L 910 on old GT Mount and Home made DOB on Dobstuff rocker box. I also have the AVX mount just sitting in the garage waiting for a nice scope or maybe a new home....So you see the bug is hard to beat either you have a lot of low costs scopes or you have a mix of high and low cost scopes (The point I am at now) I at least have the number of scopes down now.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics