•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question: Sharpcap, livestack vs regular capture

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tomwall

tomwall

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:39 PM

I'm just starting to get my head around this AV/AP stuff and I have a question that might save me some time.

(ES152mm scope, asi224 camera, .5 focal reducer, IR cut filter, typical suburban sky, ~.5 camera fov)

Q: 

I have two choices when taking a Sharpcap image:

-I can use livestack and watch the image develop, real-time.

-The other choice is to do a "capture" and do the stacking in DSStacker, later.

Which will end up giving you a higher quality final image?

Both will be post processed in Star Tools

Thanks Guys! :-)

Tom,

Tucson

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 130miles W of Yosemite

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:06 PM

The beauty of SharpCap is that you can have it either way. SharpCap can save the individual frames while it stacks.I regularly see some experienced broadcasters on NightSkiesNetwork.com using SharpCap to capture view the live stack and/or AstroToaster (with DSS under the hood) to process and with very good results.

I incline to just using live stacking and on occasion I edit a "saved with adjustments" image in Windows Photo app and give it quick tweak (instant gratification after a lifetime of deferral), but I also have AstroToaster and it is on my use more often list. So you can have it either way and if you buy a SharpCap Pro license you get a boat load of nice tools for dead easy polar alignment, a built in software Batinoff mask, that works very well and many others.

• tomwall likes this

#3 neaptide

neaptide

Viking 1

• Loc: NY

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:10 PM

When using livestack in Sharpcap you can save your individual frames by clicking the " save frames" button. It will create a file for your raw frames. So now you can load your individual frames into DSS. You can also save the stacked image as a 16 or 32 bit raw stack to load directly into your processing program by hitting the save button. If you hit the drop down menu on the save button you have the previous options and also the option to save as viewed, which will save the stretched image that you see on the screen.

Stacking in DSS seems to give me the best results for post processing. I only use the capture option when I'm doing planetary imaging 

• tomwall likes this

#4 tomwall

tomwall

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:36 PM

Thanks Guys!

So, for now, I'll click the "save frames" option AND do livestack ( save the tiff file for post proc in STools). This will allow me max flexibility.

Star Tools and Sharpcap Pro are on my Santa list. ;-)

Tom,

Tucson

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics